NOS oil filters safe to use?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everyone, long time reader, first time poster here.

I have a stash of 4 New Old Stock (NOS) Honda 15400-PR3-014 oil filters. They don't appear to be damaged but must be at least 15 years old.

Are they safe to use or should I throw them away? It's not a big deal but I don't like to be wasteful.

Thank you!

As long as they don't have any signs of moisture, I would use them with confidence. I have a ~10 year old Wix cartridge filter in my Mazda right now. I have never seen any negative impacts due to age.

I used some 8 to 9 year old p1s and they were all good. I dunno if I'd use a filter much older than that though?
Maybe cut one open and inspect for moisture and make sure the media is still strong not brittle. If it checks out maybe go ahead and use the others.

I'm assuming these have cellulose media rather than newer synthetic, so the cellulose doesn't "go bad" per se just so long as they've been kept dry this entire time. Inspect the rubber gasket for any cracking (if that's showing signs of age then it's a good bet the adbv is as well) but if that looks solid and no signs of rust anywhere, I'd run 'em.

Last edited:
welcome2.gif

Don't use them

31.gif

Honda only uses one filter for almost all their cars, and the current OE supplier is Fram. The Fram PH7317 is very close to the OE Honda filter, and they don't cost much. It is a very common size used on most Japanese cars other than Toyota. No reason to use old filters.

Can you cut one of them open for us?
smile.gif

I'm using some Mobil 1 filter that are 10 years old, cut a new one open just to be sure and everything looked great... glue, media, can/metal tube, adbv... everything was still good. If your filters were stored with care, I say use them with confidence. Since you have several, you could cut one open and satisfy your curiosity 100%.

For For
That said, I am with the others, cut one open and see how it looks/feels.
If the media is still strong (can't be torn with fingers), no rust inside can and rubber parts still pliable, I would use it for a normal OCI (up to 7500 miles), but then I am cheap.

Thanks for the input everyone.

They look good and seem to be vacuum sealed (at least they're in a plastic wrapper).

I'll see if I have the tools to cut one open.

Originally Posted by blupupher
For div>

They were actually made by Toyo Roki in Japan.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back