Modern Replacement for Type A ATF

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone know of a modern ATF oil that replaces the old type A and if so, can they be mixed? Transmission in question is a 1954 dual range 4 speed Hydramatic.

Type F is for Ford, Type A is GM.

According to the DEXRON wikipedia page:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DEXRON

Which is mostly maintained by Weber State Prof. John Kelly (see his detailed YouTube vids), the latest replacement for Type A is DEXRON III(H). The catch is there is no official valid license for this fluid anymore. I'd be wary of any fluid that claims compatibility to newer DEXRON standards since they are not backwards compatible with Dex III and earlier.

Originally Posted by WagonWheel

Which is mostly maintained by Weber State Prof. John Kelly (see his detailed YouTube vids), the latest replacement for Type A is DEXRON III(H). The catch is there is no official valid license for this fluid anymore. I'd be wary of any fluid that claims compatibility to newer DEXRON standards since they are not backwards compatible with Dex III and earlier.

What's not backwards compatible? dexron VI is the licensed replacement fluid (per GM) for those applications that specify dexron III (or previous), and would be appropriate for Type A.

Honestly?

AW46 Hydraulic fluid is probably the best bet.

It'll be better protection than nearly anything else.

When I was drag racing, we would run "International Harvester Hy-Tran" in our auto transmissions.

The modern replacement fluid is indeed Dexron VI:

From a GM tech bulletin:

Although DEXRON-VI (fig. 1) was introduced into production starting with 2006 model year vehicles (see bulletin 04-07-30-037D), there are still some misunderstandings about it. Here are some facts to help clear up these misunderstandings.

Since GM introduced the first service-fill specification for automatic transmission fluid (ATF) in 1949, it has been necessary periodically to upgrade the specification as part of a continuous improvement strategy. The upgrading process ensures that available service fill fluids are of an appropriate quality for use in transmissions that have been designed around the improved factory fill fluid performance.

IMPORTANT: As with previous upgrades, DEXRON-VI fluids are designed to be backward compatible with earlier transmission hardware. But more important, earlier type fluids are NOT FORWARD COMPATIBLE with transmissions that were designed to use DEXRON-VI.

DEXRON-VI can be used in any proportion in past model vehicles equipped with an automatic transmission, in place of DEXRON-III (for instance, topping off the fluid in the event of a repair or fluid change). DEXRON-VI is also compatible with any former version of DEXRON for use in automatic transmissions.

TIP: Simply topping off the fluid is adequate, but a full drain and replacement is preferred, to obtain the full benefit.

Originally Posted by Red91
Best I can tell from my brief lunch break research, Dex/Merc is compatible and has better oxidation control.

Dexron VI is the most stable of the Dexron fluids to date.

Here are some facts and specifications about these Dexron fluids:

Dex III/Mercon type fluids: Max cSt 7.5; shears down to 4.2 cSt under standard tests;

GM Dexron VI: Starting viscosity cannot be > than 6.4 cSt; cannot shear down to less than 5.5 cST under standard tests;

Mobil 1 Dexron VI: Starting viscosity - 5.83 cSt, cannot shear down to less than 5.5 cST under standard tests;

MaxLife ATF: Starting viscosity - 5.91 cSt, cannot shear down to less than 5.5 cST under standard tests;

Redline D6 ATF: Starting viscosity - 6.4 cSt, cannot shear down to less than 6.1 cST under standard tests.

Shear testing is done using four tests; the Fuel Injector Shear Stability test, the Sonic shear test, the DEXRON®-III Cycling test and the KRL test.

The KRL tests have been shown to provide the better accelerated shear tests, in which all of the above fluids have been subjected.

One other important specification is the Brookfield viscosity at -40C for the Dexron VI has to be at least 5000 units lower than the Dexron III(H) or Dex/Merc.

This means Dexron VI has better cold temperature operation than does the Dexron III(H) or Dex/Merc.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Let's look at some of the Dexron III(H) and Dexron VI stats. Dexron III(H) is 1.4 cSt higher at 100C than Dexron VI but:

Starting Viscosities@100C:Dexron III(H) 7.3 cSt, Dexron VI - 5.9 cSt

Shear Stability (~ 10k miles): Dexron III(H) - 4.5 cSt, Dexron VI - 5.8 cSt

Shear Stability .(>=35k): Dexron III(H) - 4.3 cSt, Dexron VI - 5.5 cSt

Dexron III(H) has dropped over 2.8 cSt while Dexron VI has remained stable with only a 0.4 cSt drop. Dexron VI is superior in terms of viscosity stability.

Friction Modification Stability: In Dyno tests, Dynamic friction coefficient change: Dexron III(H) -~ 3%, Dexron VI - ~ 0.05%. Dexron VI is superior in terms of Dynamic friction coefficient stability.

Dexron III(H) uses older Anti-Oxidant and Metal Inhibitor chemistry. Dexron VI uses modern Anti-Oxidant and Metal Inhibitor chemistry.

Dexron III(H) uses older Anti-Wear chemistry. Dexron VI uses modern Anti-Wear chemistry.

Last edited:
I use Dex VI in my '54 Powerglide and it works fine.

Last edited by a moderator:
OK I miss read it big time. I saw type and my head just read it as type F.
crazy.gif

How can it be DexVI a substitute for ATF A...I have Tomos automatic mofa....wich specs ATF A in its transmission....it shifts ok with it....but if I switch to dex III in it it shifts like garbage...

So there has to be different friction characteristics between different ATFs...

Well....it engine has only 2gears....with ATF A it shifts between them easily....if you fill it with ATF III it doesn't want to engage into 2nd for quite a while...

The change is very noticable...that clutch in 2nd gear slips a lot...that shows me that friction characteristics of ATF III are way different...

Originally Posted by kschachn
Originally Posted by WagonWheel

What's not backwards compatible? dexron VI is the licensed replacement fluid (per GM) for those applications that specify dexron III (or previous), and would be appropriate for Type A.

Oh sorry, you're right. I misread the Wiki and thought it was acceoonly if Dex II/II was spec'd

This link (wiki reference) seems to explain why Dex 6 is acceptable for Type A and later.

https://web.archive.org/web/20101220203431/http://www.gm.com/experience/technology/gmpowertrain/transmissions/DEXRON_VI_Service_Fill_Release_30NO07.doc

"All DEXRON®-III licenses expire at the end of 2006 and will not be renewed. Beyond that date GM will only support the use of DEXRON®-VI fluids for use in Hydra-Matic transmissions. Fluids sold in the market after that date bearing claims such as "suitable for use in DEXRON®-III applications" or similar wording should be avoided. DEXRON®-VI licensed fluids are fully backward compatible and can be used in all applications covered by earlier GM ATF specifications."

Last edited:
I just meant as compared to type A. I didn't have time to check Dex 6 compatibility and benefits. I'm glad you posted the info though, because i really couldn't find a definitive answer.

Warren unilube also markets type a under the Warren brand. If I'm not mistaken, accel is a Warren distribution product. I'd be interested to see if they're up to par for type a, just because. Seems like the answer overall is run Dex VI.

Just out of curiosity, what is the MODERN application of Type A and Type F these days, assuming you are not putting it in an antique?

Type F for the deere fleet 316 x2, and a deere 318

Yes you can switch over to hygard low vis but it requires a full flush,and they have thousands of hard hours with the type f, not changing it now.

Originally Posted by PandaBear
Just out of curiosity, what is the MODERN application of Type A and Type F these days, assuming you are not putting it in an antique?

There is no replacement for type F and that is why it's still on the shelves. Type F is used in older Ford transmissions and power steering units. My '93 F150 requires type F in the PS. Don't ask how I found that out!
Type A became Dexron and so on so Dexron VI should be acceptable. Mercon V would also work and would be my choice.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back