Do strut mounts/bushing need to be replaced in pairs?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think I've got a shot bushing on front passenger side. Driver side is fine.

I'm planning to sell the car, and don't want to do the drivers side unless it's truly necessary. I'm gonna farm this out to a mechanic, cuz I don't want to mess around with spring compressors.

Do these wear items really need to be done in pair? Gonna be selling the car soon anyways and it's only a $1k car. So if I can do a good repair for $100 cheaper, is ideal.

If it's going to throw off your alignment, consider doing both.

In your case, slap it in there.

I would do both. Even if you can't tell the other side isn't great, it will probably feel better with both sides refreshed, and it will feel better to anyone who test drives it.

Tough call. I say either do nothing as atikovi suggests or replace just the one. Certainly don't do the other.

For $1000 the buyer shouldn't expect much.

Get a pair of quick struts
smile.gif

I'm glad someone asked this. I was curious as well. Bought a pair of Monroe quickstruts. Passenger front is blown so doing the entire front end on july 4th.

Last edited:
Replacing one side makes a huge difference in a good way, I replaced the drivers side on my truck, but time and favorable weather got away from me before I could finish.

Let me price it out with the mechanic. If I DIY, I can probably put the spring compressor on in place and not have to undo the camber bolts and ball joints (and not need alignment). I doubt the mechanic would do that.

On the other hand, I don't have air, and my electric impacts from Harbor Freight are all but worthless for this type of torque, so it's all manual.

I want to do what is right for the repair and leave the next guy in a good place with the car.

Originally Posted by CBR.worm
I would do both. Even if you can't tell the other side isn't great, it will probably feel better with both sides refreshed, and it will feel better to anyone who test drives it.

When I posted this, I missed the $1,000 car part. It's hard to justify spending much on a $1K car that you won't at least appreciate the difference. If it is going to be sold immediately, maybe one side would be sufficient.

I can't help myself, even when I am selling a car that has no value, I make it as good as I can, I always detail and wax it before it goes - unless that would cause more paint damage.

Originally Posted by atikovi
Don't do either and drop the price accordingly. Maybe you'll get a DIY'er that will fix it for the cost of parts, or just drive it like it is.

This. The parts will likely be $100 and then alignment for another $100, and people will not notice it if the wheel is not falling off.

Just reduce the price by $200 and call it a day. Some buyer won't mind and will take anything that runs.

Last edited:
If the strut mount is all that's wrong with it I'd get it fixed. People hate knocks and clunks and will whittle you down hard.

No junk yards in your area? If I was selling it immediately that's the option I would go with.

OP here. Went and spoke with several mechanics.

A) We won't use your parts even though it's the OE bearing/bushing
B) We prefer to do strut/bumpstop in addition to the moount and it will cost around $400

Was unable to find anybody willing to just do the mount. I was hoping for less than $150.

Ah well, guess I know what I'll be doing this holiday weekend.
lol.gif

Last edited:
The next question becomes, is it worth the risk of using a spring compressor to make a $1,000 car better for the next guy? Unless you are experienced and comfortable with spring compressors. I have been using them for years and still try to avoid 'em when possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back