So confused about Hemi oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
You do realize that most of the "internet" mechanics as in the mechanics who have a youtube presence all tell the same horror story about how many hemi's have wiped out cams plus the lifters being on back order? And many of these guys SHOW three torn apart hemis in their shop currently. Sp bother yourself to talk to a local mechanic or two, don't listen to the net either way. Anyhow, at 88k miles tolerance are loosened a bit, might consider 30 weight just for that.

Originally Posted by Slick17601

The Ram ZF 8 speed is the best half ton transmission out there.

Agreed, I was only kidding on that one.

I watched the videos from the link burla posted and MotorCity Mechanic seems legit. He said almost all the cam problems he'd seen were in fleet vehicles that idle a lot, like police cars. I've got a 48 month/48,000 mile service contract from AUL so I need a large printable maintenance schedule to hang on my office wall.

I can tell you are cams are starved at idle, guys lucky enough to have hot idle tick have a window into the cam lubrication at idle. Having said that, yes many fleet vehicles get wiped out cams, but so do we all who aren't fleet. The engine has few other flaws, but cam problems are prevelant.

I dealt with this same exact dilemma this week. 2019 Ram Laramie. Originally planned on PP 5w-20. Have used PP in my 2009 Malibu w/ 3.6 with no issues and stock timing chain and tensioners too. 115k miles. Then..... i started reading on Forums. Do i run the PP? Do i run PUP? Do i run Rotella GT? Do i go with 5w30 and risk warranty issues? Does any of this even matter and will i not have a problem regardless?

Ultimately i decided i was over thinking it. Will PP 5w20 be fine. Probably. Will PUP be even better. Yes. But it [censored] me off that no one carries PUPand i cant get it off a shelf that day. Thanks Pennzoil. Make your [censored] available.

I went with Rotella Gas Truck. Rotella is a good name with a good following. It meets the specs and its 5w20. It also is designed to handle the heat and abuse. It was the best of all worlds. Only thing that i find [censored] is Walmart doesnt carry quarts. Which is ridiculous because i need 7 and that [censored] will never work itself out. So here i am with a measuring cup putting oil in. Dumb.

Oh and running a Wix XP.

Oh oh- the ZF 8speed is the best transmission i have ever encountered. Love it.

Originally Posted by Nick814

I went with Rotella Gas Truck. Rotella is a good name with a good following. It meets the specs and its 5w20. It also is designed to handle the heat and abuse. It was the best of all worlds. Only thing that i find [censored] is Walmart doesnt carry quarts. Which is ridiculous because i need 7 and that [censored] will never work itself out. So here i am with a measuring cup putting oil in. Dumb.

Oh and running a Wix XP.

Oh oh- the ZF 8speed is the best transmission i have ever encountered. Love it.

3 - 5 quart jugs works out really good for 2 oil changes. Remember to get the $10 off 5 quart jug rebate on the rotella gas truck, limit 4.

I still end up with 1 good quart of oil sitting in a 5 qt jug after 2 changes. And need to buy 2 more for the next oil change. Not a huge deal. Just a nuisance

I run Mobil 1 0W/30 with a either a Mopar or WIX XP filter in my 2016 RAM Limited. Last oil change I used a Hastings filter and I just started getting a slight tick at start up. It goes away in a few seconds. I am hoping it's due to the Hastings filter. I have 3100 miles on the oil so I will cut the oil change short at 5000 miles and go back to the Mopar or Wix filter and see if it goes away. Truck has 56k miles and has been a complete joy to own.

Just switched last night to Schaeffers 9004 5w20 from Formula Shell Conventional 5w20 in my Ram. The Formula Shell was more of a "break in/short cleaning OCI" after buying the truck used. Looked fairly dark after almost 3k MI, everything looked great. The Schaeffers seems to heat up quicker according to dash gauge. The truck seems quieter while running and at idle, and starts with what sounds like less effort.

My commute to work also saw a slight increase in MPGs, from 18.2 to 20.1MPG. Although it's a little early to compare MPGs, early indicators and butt dyno seem to think the truck prefers this fill over the Motorcraft it came with and the Formula Shell I dumped.

Last edited:
I used Rotella Gas Truck in 5w30 and a M1 filter. After reading more on every Ram forum I could find and the manual clearly states 5w30 can be used. Good thing I did cause the filter the dealer had installed was barely finger tight and it had started to leak.

Walmart might take back your two jugs of Gas/Truck 5w20, without any receipts. Or you could switch to the 5w20 oil for the winter months.
Main thing is to stick with a high moly oil for that setup you have.

Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en
Walmart might take back your two jugs of Gas/Truck 5w20, without any receipts. Or you could switch to the 5w20 oil for the winter months.

Any suggestions?

Originally Posted by Nick814

Any suggestions?

Keep it and use it?

Would PP 5w20 or 5w30 be considered a little light on moly for the Hemi? Though I remembered seeing both QSUD and RGT having more moly than PP.

I gave the 5w20 to my daughter for her Expedition. Has anyone read about the theory that we are using oil that is too slick and the rollers are just sliding on the cam causing flat spots?

Originally Posted by TN Tracker
I gave the 5w20 to my daughter for her Expedition. Has anyone read about the theory that we are using oil that is too slick and the rollers are just sliding on the cam causing flat spots?

I've heard that... usually from the same people I wouldn't let near my car with a wrench and/or add Lucas oil stabilizer to their oil.

There is alot of theories out there. I would never say a fact that a theory is true or false cause few theories make sense. I will say Chrysler recommends conventional oil and without documentation hard to say however how many are out there abused on conventional without cam failures. I studied this since rocker failure as it's common with 3.6 caused by needle bearings falling out. If you believe posters they write synthetic at 5k and had failure after 100k and hardly ever conventional 5w20 with OLM. Something to think about. I put synthetic 5w20 in Grand Caravan cause I don't put many miles but I am second guessing it and probably will go back to conventional. Havoline recommends conventional oil for my 2018 3.6 as well as Chrysler.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by tiger862

There is alot of theories out there. I would never say a fact that a theory is true or false cause few theories make sense. I will say Chrysler recommends conventional oil and without documentation hard to say however how many are out there abused on conventional without cam failures. I studied this since rocker failure as it's common with 3.6 caused by needle bearings falling out. If you believe posters they write synthetic at 5k and had failure after 100k and hardly ever conventional 5w20 with OLM. Something to think about. I put synthetic 5w20 in Grand Caravan cause I don't put many miles but I am second guessing it and probably will go back to conventional. Havoline recommends conventional oil for my 2018 3.6 as well as Chrysler.

If Synthetic 5w20 was the exact issue that's causing catastrophic failure I believe you would see alot more Grand Cherokees, Rams, Chargers, and Challengers on the side of the road.

The engines been around almost 20 years. 5w20 has been the spec for almost half of those years.

It's just the luck of the draw, much like oil filters, not everyone is gonna fail, but at the end of the day, the ones that do get blasted on the internet.

5w30 is in the OM, for towing it's okay. I doubt that using it over a 5w20 is gonna make a world of difference while not towing.

Keep idle times low is the best piece of advice period.

Last edited:
I remember that too slick rumor about the bearings skating in Harley engines using synthetic oil... until Harley came out with their own synthetic oil... lol. Several vehicle manufacturers sell cars with synthetic oil in the sump from the get go so that's one rumor I don't worry about. Conventional oil seems to be so good today that I let my particular engine and the driving conditions it's used in dictate whether or not synthetic oil is the best return on investment or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back