:::I Dunno Which Brand Hubs To Use...

Status
Not open for further replies.

NDL

My Wife is the primary driver of a 2008 Chevy Impala LT 3.5L, and the front hubs will need replacing at some point soon.

Here's what's making me nuts (and I know that this has been discussed at length, and fairy recently, but I don't have the money to spend it unwisely on a poor purchase):

Rock Auto lists a variety of brands, but in looking online, I am seeing horrible reviews of brands that I would never suspect (e.g. Timken, Moog, Centek, etc). Even AC Delco's hubs are said to be made by an (unknown to me) Korean company.

Does anyone have any ideas about what brands have low failure rates?

TIA

Originally Posted by bdcardinal
GM 88964168 for with ABS, 88964096 without ABS.

Yes, these are the GM OE replacement numbers.

88964168 is now 13582664. It is made in Korea.

Originally Posted by 01rangerxl

I have now hit the wall of my GM parts knowledge. I am going to go back to Ford endless backorder land and Mazda recallville now.

Last edited:
Rock Auto has the OE hubs at a fair price
smile.gif

I have now hit the wall of my GM parts knowledge. I am going to go back to Ford endless backorder land and Mazda recallville now.

lol.gif

GM is on a backorder roll lately...I do have those hubs though.
lol.gif

GM is on a backorder roll lately...I do have those hubs though.
lol.gif

Ford has brake pads on back order. Nothing big, just Explorers, Super Duty, Mustang, Taurus, Flex, Edge, nothing important.

FWIW, I had to replace both hubs on my '08 SS shortly after I bought it in 2013. The MOOG replacements are still on there with no issues...

Ford has brake pads on back order. Nothing big, just Explorers, Super Duty, Mustang, Taurus, Flex, Edge, nothing important.

Nice, I bet that's fun to explain over and over!

How many miles?

I wouldn't bother with OEM, as the originals didn't seem to last too long.

Nice, I bet that's fun to explain over and over!

We can still get them from FADs... for now.

I know what bdcardinal is talking about. Manufactures use a just in time manufacturing strategy and on top of that, the warehouses want to inventory the least amount of inventory as possible.
So we occasionally have trucks that sit and wait around for a part to be made.

Originally Posted by tony1679
FWIW, I had to replace both hubs on my '08 SS shortly after I bought it in 2013. The MOOG replacements are still on there with no issues...

Those were reboxed US made National hubs, now Chinese. Timken will probably be NOS US made for the OP's car, the best way to find out is go to the parts store that has them in stock and look. If COO is important do not buy online buy what you can see.

I replaced a hub on a 2008 Pontiac Grand Prix last summer. It's the same hub that would work for your Impala, ACDelco GM Original Equipment part # FW293. It was made in South Korea by SKF. The owner has had no issues. However, if you read reviews on Amazon, they're full of ignorance from people who don't realize that SKF makes some of the better wheel bearings currently.

Last edited:
I appreciate *everyone's* replies, but for the sake of brevity, will not reply to each individual message. But I thank everyone for their input.

Originally Posted by Nick1994
How many miles?

I wouldn't bother with OEM, as the originals didn't seem to last too long.

The car has 150k, but I hope to keep it for another couple to three years.

Does anyone have any experience with Centek? I like their brake pads and rotors.

Originally Posted by alchargo
I replaced a hub on a 2008 Pontiac Grand Prix last summer. It's the same hub that would work for your Impala, ACDelco GM Original Equipment part # FW293. It was made in South Korea by SKF. The owner has had no issues. However, if you read reviews on Amazon, they're full of ignorance from people who don't realize that SKF makes some of the better wheel bearings currently.

Thanks for your time and reply. So SKF's products are desirable...thank you for your correction; to hear Amazon's reviews, well...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back