Does all used ecoboost engine oil smell like gas?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My wife's 2016 Fusion 2.0 ecoboost oil smells like gas when you check the oil, I've noticed the same thing with other ecoboosts too. I'm doing short OCI around 4,000-5,000 miles. I've heard that some fuel in the oil is considered normal on these engines.

Just like the barrel imparts it's aroma and flavor on a spirit or wine(or used scotch barrels on a beer..yum), so does gasoline to oil used in a gasoline engine.
Our noses however are not good measurement devices. They tell us, sometimes, if an odor is present or not.
Saying "strong smell" just means, I could really detect this odor. Unfortunately we are not able to tell the difference between 50 ppm gasoline in oil or 10,000 ppm where it would start being a problem with our sense of smell.
Now if you notice the engine oil level rising, that would be a good correlation to fuel adding volume to the crankcase oil. HOA too. But it's simpler to just stick with 5k as long as everything seems to be normal.

I've noticed the fuel smell is more pronounced usually in turbo cars. A family members Hyundai 1.6t has a ton of fuel smell even at 4k miles. My GTI at 5k miles doesn't as much but its still there.

In the summer, no, my 2.7 ecoboost oil has not smelled like gas. In the winter, more so.

That being said, the nose is not a reliable measurement of gas in the oil - UOA's would tell more...

A thread on oil sniffing! What next? How often do you sniff your oil? How often should I sniff the oil on my (new, used, old) car?
lol.gif

Not with the vehicles in my sig that use direct injected turbo engines. But they require premium fuel and you don't see UOA's on these having fuel dilution issues.
I think you'll smell it more on the vehicles where the manufacture uses such an engine but knows they gotta make it run pig rich to survive on 87 octane because the
average American buying an Accord, CRV, Fusion.. doesn't wanna run anything but 87 octane.

You are correct. The demographic of ecoboost drivers and flatulence is strongly correlated.

I didnt notice much gas smell on my 2.0T from the dipstick.. I was checking about every 500miles or so for oil level.

However when I did the oil change at around 5200miles the oil looked pretty black and thin and smelled much more strongly of gas.. than previous vehicles.

I have the "hurricane" 2.0T that jeep is now putting in wranglers and cherokees.

This is a farcry from an actual issue such as the hondas that were seeing the oil rise on the dipstick.. sometimes inches.

However I dont think I will ever go by the OLM and change it at nearly 10000 miles.. on this turbo GDI motor.

Oilchange typically costs me around $20 for a fram ultra and 5qts of pennzoil platinum 5w30 which meets the ms-13340 spec that jeep lists.

I'd say about 75% of the DI cars that we do changes on have a fuel smell to the oil when draining. Some are just barely noticeable, but some are so strong you'd swear you just punched a hole in the fuel tank.

L8R,
Matt

I have a Sante Fe with the 2.4 GDI and the oil doesn't smell like gasoline to me but smells like exhaust after a few thousand miles. Get dark quicker too compared to my 2 Subarus.

Originally Posted by Sonic
I have a Sante Fe with the 2.4 GDI and the oil doesn't smell like gasoline to me but smells like exhaust after a few thousand miles. Get dark quicker too compared to my 2 Subarus.

3K OCI?....... mine was the same OCI, but no foreign smell and still dark amber in color. Factory-fill. Quaker State 5W20 is supposedly what's used.
I would say our driving was a mix and done throughout the winter. Cold Start warmups limited to 3-4 minutes.

It will be difficult for me to gauge this current OCI. The Liqui-Moly I added comes out of the bottle like dark gray graphite. So it's turning dark sooner.

The 2.7 EcoBoost in our Fusion Sports doesn't seem to do it as bad as the 3.5 EcoBoost, but it is still noticeably stronger than a N/A MPFI Ford engine.

Originally Posted by tig1
Just another reason I chose the 2.5 NA engine in my 2017 Fusion.

The Ecoboost is more fun and better fuel economy without a compromise in longevity.

Originally Posted by dave1251
Originally Posted by tig1
Just another reason I chose the 2.5 NA engine in my 2017 Fusion.

The Ecoboost is more fun and better fuel economy without a compromise in longevity.

You are definitely right, the 2.0 ecoboost on the fusion has a good amount of power and gets good mileage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back