Are consumer automotive tastes impacting your decision?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by AC1DD
Originally Posted by AZjeff
Originally Posted by SirTanon
Nope, not in the slightest. I buy what I like and what suits my tastes and my needs.

+1

We prefer wagons/hatchbacks but there aren't many choices so cute ute it is. We both like the better visibility and higher seating and anytime we ride in someone's sedan we look at each other and say no thanks as we climb out. Handling braking mileage is so close it's a non issue for us in day to day normal driving. There was an article in C&D (maybe) I was reading in the dentist's office that was explaining that the view from higher is less busy/stressful than sitting closer to the road. Interesting, never thought of that, could be.

Except "trends" ARE affecting your choices because the mfrs refuse to offer more wagons, when I believe that there is a growing market for traditional wagon style but the
mfrs like that the cute UTE/ crossovers make them more profit so they lead by the nose, and consumers follow. After all if the mfrs refuse to make wagons and only offer CUV/crossovers what else can you do except not buy a vehicle at all. Although that is EXACTLY what my response is refuse to buy until they offer what I want.

Trends are going strongly toward SUV's.
When I bought Sienna, Highlander with same mileage, same year same equipment was $5k more. SO I got pretty much same vehicle (HL/SIenna are basically same) but much more practical.
Though, might not be as "cool" as people driving Highlander, because, there is nothing more cool than being seen in Toyota Highlander.

I buy what I want. Based on my line-up, you can tell I don't exactly 'flip' vehicles.
grin.gif

I like sedans and mid-size RWD/AWD SUVs, so that's what I buy. My wife likes RWD sedans only, so that's what she buys. If there were more compelling sedan options, I would be more inclined to stick with them, but there are very few options that fit my desires that don't say 'BMW' on the front. After test driving most sedans available in the BMW 5 series size from every manufacturer, I realized (again) that the death of sedans is probably due to the lack of visibility, high belt lines, and thick pillars. The new 2019 E class Mercedes felt like I was driving some kind of battle ship, with the TV sized 'gauge cluster' LCD display taking up half the dashboard and blocking a good portion of your forward visibility. And thick doors and wide center console that left less leg room than an older Corolla.

That being said, if I could justify the price, the newest Audi A6 AWD Premium turbo V6 mild hybrid drove great and had great visibility and a very clean interior layout - IMO the best car to drive in that class. But, having had an older one, I don't think I could go through that again, and they cost too much money new and they cost too much money to maintain used.

So, SUVs have all kinds of options and price points, and good visibility, as well as the perception of safety and longevity (people think they are trucks). Sedans have limited options, and now, poor visibility.

Who cares about resale when you'll either wear the car out or gift it to a son, or in earlier years have a son total it, in which case the resale market will be your insurer?
We bought the newer Forester for the wife simply because she loved the '09 for its overall performance and she loves this one even more for its very similar ride, handling and bad weather performance combined with really good fuel economy.
I bought the newest Accord because I wanted to gift the '12 to a son and I had always wanted a hybrid.
I'm geeking on the 50+ mpg warm weather fuel economy and we find the car spacious and comfortable, with really strong AC in our current heat wave.
Buy what suits you, not what you think might suit some future owner.
As it happens, few cars have the percentage resale value of Hondas and Subarus.

I plan on keeping this ride in my sig until it either falls apart from salt soup cancer, gets picked up and dropped to the ground from a great height by a twister (
lol.gif
), or I myself am no longer of this earth (I'll be 64 in September), whichever comes first, so resale was a total NON-factor in my buying decision.

I would not drive a HUGE road tank SUV/truck if a brand new, fully loaded one was handed to me gratis, and I purposely sought out this car for it's low cost, 'bang for the buck' value to me, NOT caring one iota to follow the heard, or what is considered popular right now.
wink.gif
19.gif

I stay mainstream because I want to be able to get out of what I get into.

The biggest taste seems to be low mileage! Even 160k vs 180k makes a huge difference in resalability. People just want fewer miles because they look at an odometer as a coundown clock to an arbitrary disposal point.

Originally Posted by Wolf359
Nope. I prefer sedans. Just better handling, braking, gas mileage etc.

+1 to that.

I have never considered resale when buying a vehicle. I buy for what I want, need and like. I buy for current value for me.
What it is worth in 10+ years is not a concern for me, and if there is interest in it also does not play into my purchase.

We bought the Santa Fe because we wanted something that would seat 6 comfortably, and the wife does not like cars. That narrows it down a lot.
Her Scion xB was considered a wagon, but she would never call it one.
I like trucks. Don't need one, but I like them and am more comfortable in them.

Resale value is irrelevant if you keep vehicles as long as they're worth maintaining.

I wanted the utility-efficiency balance of a hatchback, and got it. People have finally recognized that sedans are antiquated. Too bad they take such a roundabout way out of that buying habit. Fortunately, Seriously Ugly Vehicles are becoming more car-like than they used to be.

I buy what I need and like, but even that is getting mighty thin. I am glad I don't need anything now and for quite some time because there is nothing being made now from any OEM that I can say I like. Any vehicle I do get, it has a long term contract with me unless it turns out to be a stinker. By the time I get rid of one of my vehicles, resale value really is a non issue.

Nope. I prefer sedans. Just better handling, braking, gas mileage etc.

Me too.

Originally Posted by BMWTurboDzl
Have any of you guys opted for a CUV/SAV simply because you knew that this style was in demand on the used market whereas sedans are dying a slow death and you're concerned about getting stuck with a vehicle that is difficult to re-sell.?

No, I went CUV because it made the most sense for my living situation, location, and usage.

-I live very rural, this means ruts in the road, gravel, steep inclines, are part of my daily. A car/sedan would not fare well.
-I drive 100mi a day many days, this means mpg matters a lot to me, so a full-size SUV or truck would be a real pain to feed.
-I enjoy a bit of sportiness, so this meant something high 5's/low 6's in the 0-60 department, and with a good suspension and driving feel mattered to me, so a total appliance was out.
-I value reliability and durability, so an older, used vehicle was out, in conjunction with the above.
-I have a dog, so the back area of the CUV is good for this, moreso than a trunk/back seat.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Ws6
Have any of you guys opted for a CUV/SAV simply because you knew that this style was in demand on the used market whereas sedans are dying a slow death and you're concerned about getting stuck with a vehicle that is difficult to re-sell.?

No, I went CUV because it made the most sense for my living situation, location, and usage.

-I live very rural, this means ruts in the road, gravel, steep inclines, are part of my daily. A car/sedan would not fare well.
-I drive 100mi a day many days, this means mpg matters a lot to me, so a full-size SUV or truck would be a real pain to feed.
-I enjoy a bit of sportiness, so this meant something high 5's/low 6's in the 0-60 department, and with a good suspension and driving feel mattered to me, so a total appliance was out.
-I value reliability and durability, so an older, used vehicle was out, in conjunction with the above.
-I have a dog, so the back area of the CUV is good for this, moreso than a trunk/back seat.

Some dogs prefer a wagon, it's easier to jump into/out of. One reason why wagons are still popular, older dogs can't get into an SUV/CUV.

Originally Posted by Ws6

Some dogs prefer a wagon, it's easier to jump into/out of. One reason why wagons are still popular, older dogs can't get into an SUV/CUV.

The only wagon I would consider is the Subaru Outback, but they've gone CVT, so no thanks.

Originally Posted by Ws6
Originally Posted by Ws6

The only wagon I would consider is the Subaru Outback, but they've gone CVT, so no thanks.

For some strange reason Mercedes AMG E55's and E63 wagons really hold their value, worth more than the sedans.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back