Favorite American Made Muscle Car

Status
Not open for further replies.
Never owned a muscle car .

But back in the day , it would have been a 1969 SS 396 Camaro .

Now , probably the equivalent to a 350 Camaro .

I'll only talk about what I've owned.

I would say my fave was the 1967 SS396 Chevelle 4 speed M21 and 12 bolt. Marina Blue with black "buckets"

Headers + hot cam = 900 CFM Cadillac 500 Rochester quadra jet. I didn't like the later effeminate looking Chevelles.

Strong car, fast and Look out!

Buick GNX? They were quick for their time but it ain't no muscle car BC:
NO loud header Rumble, no insane tire busting torque, and most important no 4 speed. MY GF inthe 80's owned one so I've spent time in them.

I've also owned and built a fast 327 V8 Vega TH350

A ' 69 428 CJ Ford "Torino" 4 speed

A ' 66 355 Chevy II with Saginaw 4 speed

A 1978 Mustang II King Cobra, built w/ 302 4 speed

65 Buick "440" Nailhead convertible

And a bunch of new and Junk fox body mustang GT and Mercury 5.0.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Silverado12
Originally Posted by Virtus_Probi
1962 Pontiac Catalina Super Duty
[Linked Image]

Now that's just too cool. I don't think I have ever seen one of these. Very good looking car.

Just make sure you like the wheels...
wink.gif

Originally Posted by DuckRyder
1963 Factory Lightweight Galaxie 500

[Linked Image]

https://www.motorcarclassics.com/1963-ford-galaxie-500-lightweight-c-90.htm

Thunderbolt is a close second, but not a "clone" a real FE powered 427 solid lifter dual quad...

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by Silverado12

Now that's just too cool. I don't think I have ever seen one of these. Very good looking car.

I knew a guy in Dallas who would buy and restore any kind of Super Duty he could find.
Never saw any of them, he didn't drive them to work and wasn't the kind of guy to invite people over to check out his rides.

I have to admit that this story was told to me second hand, but I had no reason to doubt it.
The guy tracked down a Super Duty he just loved, but it needed a lot of work. He took his sweet time restoring it and some guy he didn't know who had heard about the car cold called him in the process and asked what he wanted for it when he was done with the restoration...didn't want to sell it, so he named an outrageous price.
The caller said OK and told him he would send a truck out to pick it up once it was ready.
This guy was a man of his word, REALLY didn't want to sell but the money was just too crazy good. Sent it out to a paint shop he liked and it came back looking gorgeous...went to put the wiper motors back in and got them misoriented somehow, when he turned on the wipers the blades dragged all over the hood and wrecked the paint. Back to the paint shop.
He may have shed a tear or two when the car got hauled away, but he had a lot of green in his pocket...don't think he ever met the buyer, supposedly a very wealthy man who wasn't interested in restoring but just owning classic muscle.

Again, this is what I was told...if any of this is bogus I blame the story teller and believe that he has passed on!

Originally Posted by Vikas
I bet this one is the real American Built Muscle Car

[Linked Image]

No ,No ,No. If it can go fast without fish tailing all over the road and leak oil wherever it parks . It's not mucle .

1970 Boss 302
1970 Cyclone Spoiler
1970 Z/28 RS
1970 AAR Cuda
1970 Rallye 350
1971 Road Runner

Originally Posted by Vikas
I bet this one is the real American Built Muscle Car

[Linked Image]

I am pretty sure that is a '66 GTO Tri-Power Goat 389 torque monster.
0 to 60 in 3....

The Corvette is my all time fav American muscle car...well technically, it's a sports car, but it's American, and its a legend...

Originally Posted by grampi
The Corvette is my all time fav American muscle car...well technically, it's a sports car, but it's American, and its a legend...

Yep.

Old school;

'69 and '70 Boss 302, and Z/28s, Cuda AAR, and maybe a Yenko Nova

current/recent;

GT 350R, 5th gen Z/28 (the one with the LS7 in it), 6th gen ZL-1 Camaro with the top spec track package/carbon package available,last year of the C6 Z06, C7 Gran Sport

Just about anything Chrysler...favorite probably the 71-2 Road Runner.

Or Rick Ehrenberg's "Green Brick" 1969 Valiant.
[Linked Image]

This is the Brick's fourth engine...fifth if you inclkude the original 170ci slant six. Yes, that's a legit 550+HP Ray Barton motor:
[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by cjcride
There are many great US muscle cars yet the AC Cobra and Pontiac GTO would be my picks.

Yet the AC Cobra isn't a American car.

If I lost all sensibilities and suffered a weak moment at the same time, I'd get this. I'd have to say, this is my idea of a modern day muscle/super car.

ZL1 1LE vs Nürburgring
Watch the 2018 ZL1 1LE as it's put to the test at the grueling Nürburgring Nordschleife, completing the world-famous 12.9-mile road course in a blistering 7:16:04. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t4zSIVpVMaw

EDIT: I'm still looking for pictures of my '72, 442. In a straight line, it could pass anything on the road (except a gas station). Heaven forbid you needed to touch the brakes, turn the wheel or hit a wet spot. Loved that car to death but, hadn't yet developed a sense of "performance driving" at the time.

FlyingCamaro.jpg

Last edited:
Automatic ZL1 1LE is faster around that race track.

I agree with a pro driver in a ZL1 1LE against other cars (Porsche, Ferrari, etc...) will be very competitive against other pro drivers.

50 year old dentist with ZL1 1LE would never be able to drive car to the maximum potential.

1969 BOSS 429 Mustang, preferably setup like the TASCA Super Boss if given the option (but not the colour scheme):
[Linked Image]

2nd would be a 1969 Charger with the 426 HEMI:
[Linked Image]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back