Engine Cover On or Off?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Trust the engineers? You mean the same ones that designed that engine with garbage intake manifold gaskets for 10 years?

However, I'd probably just leave it on.

I have left both mine in place on the 300 and van, though I do have the hemi engine cover from my Durango still... I took it off to do something and never bothered to put it back on lol

Originally Posted by ron350
The upper plastic intake manifold exploded on my 96 Regal in 2007 with 67K miles.

This happened because #2 Bosch injector leaked fuel over night. The explosion happened just as soon as I turned the key. It was so bad it pushed #2 injector out of the lower aluminum intake manifold and bent the steel fuel rail. Of cource it blew out the upper plastic intake manifold sending sharp pieces of plastic every where under the hood.

If I had not removed the motor cover there would not have been a fire or any dents in the hood from pieces of the plastic manifold. The motor cover had only been off for about a month because some expert on a GM forum said they were only there for noise control.

The lawyer I talked to told me you can be sure that motor cover would not be there unless it had a safety function.

That's funny... "expert on GM forum" and a lawyer who's an expert on automotive design.

I truly believe if exploding intakes were a known and systematic problem, GM would have dealt with it more cheaply than introducing an engine cover. It would have been cheaper to redesign the intake manifold or make it out of aluminum.

For that matter, I'm trying to figure out how the mixture ignited inside the intake manifold. Aren't both exhaust valves and intake valves closed during spark ignition?... and isn't the lit mixture ported to the exhaust?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back