MB Engine Wizard: Tasos Moschatos

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just wanted to pass this along. This fellow has a clean, organized shop and engine rebuilding service somewhere in the UAE. He films an engine rebuild almost weekly; usually a high-end Mercedes engine. He also does a lot of transmission rebuilds. He shows some wrench turning but is more about diagnostics. He has a heavy Greek accent and it took me a couple videos to acclimate myself to his speech mannerisms. This guy is in the trenches, appears to have a very successful business and is in the process of installing a dyno in his shop.

He seems to answer a lot of the questions people post on YT. I'm sure he has thoughts about oil and would probably answer questions.

Enjoy... https://www.youtube.com/user/tasosmos2/videos

Ray

That's the problem they have/had in the UAE, they have all these expensive cars and nobody who knows how to fix them! I'm surprised that someone didn't do it earlier, good for him!

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Pelican
That's the problem they have/had in the UAE, they have all these expensive cars and nobody who knows how to fix them! I'm surprised that someone didn't do it earlier, good for him!

This guy seems to have endless work coming through the door -mostly Mercedes and Audi. He only films one rebuild at a time but you can see in the background he's got 4-5 engines pulled. A lot of his rebuilds are to fix bad repair jobs from other places. He usually tells the story behind the vehicle and it's mode of failure. I've seen more than a couple of his rebuilds that were due to oil issues. Nothing is ever sludged-up but rather, parts worn-out due to high temperature oil failure or consistently low oil levels. I'm fairly sure he mentioned he's in or near Dubai where the temps are easily hitting 100 to 110F every day.

In this country everyone just buys a new car. This sort of thing is not done by dealers, and very rare I think in the US on cars like Mercedes.
I'm sure most indies here are just into the quick fix stuff, and rarely do that sort of work.

Basically it's probably two things, the cost of labor and the value of the cars. On an old car like a 2006 Mercedes E-350 which had bad balance shafts, if the dealer charges $150-$200/hour you're looking at thousands just in labor. Could be a 5k job or more. But if you look up the book value of those cars, you're looking at around 5k. Even an indy shop where the labor rate might be cheaper, it's still pretty expensive so not much engine work ever gets done.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back