Cooling fan going out on Jetta

Status
Not open for further replies.
I noticed a slight vibration driving the Jetta the other day, but I didn't really worry too much about it. Today, we had very heavy vibration followed by a loud ticking noise. Popped the hood and it appears one of the two radiator cooling fans is vibrating like mad and making lots of noise. Hope it won't cost an arm and a leg to fix!

The Jetta is the one in my sig. 2014 VW Jetta SE 1.8T with 48K miles.

Still under warranty?

That's a really weird failure for so early. It's an electric fan. The 2012 Jetta in the sig hasn't had any failures beside a couple coils around the 50K mark.

Is it needed? On my Jetta one of the fans was not working; I unplugged it and the car was fine. A/C worked with no issues. Granted, NH summer not FL summer. I'd unplug it until you can replace it.

Seems like so many online repair videos are about replacing electric cooling fans and this is on 5-6yr old vehicles! Can effect any make/model. OEM replacements are expensive too, but what isn't.

If anything like my '06 Jetta 2.5 the remaining fan will go full speed to compensate, that is how I realized one of mine had gone out. The top speed on VW's is audible even with all the windows closed. I lived in FL at the time and the air conditioning performance was notably impacted as well.

IIRC the 1 fan replacement on my '06 was ~$480 at the dealer. The fan on my '06 failed somewhere between the 70-80k mark.

Last edited:
At the VW dealer now. They confirmed the fan is bad, they are replacing. Very surprised it went bad so early. Also, the car has a bad rear wheel spend sensor (car used ABS sensor on this model) and they are trying to get that part covered by good will.

Originally Posted by gregk24
At the VW dealer now. They confirmed the fan is bad, they are replacing. Very surprised it went bad so early. Also, the car has a bad rear wheel spend sensor (car used ABS sensor on this model) and they are trying to get that part covered by good will.

Cooling fans get a good workout in yearlong A/C places like FL. But as you said, still too early to go out.

Originally Posted by pezzy669
44k does seem a bit early - hopefully they are covering it under warranty.

It was not, however they will be covering a wheel speed sensor as a good will repair. Also just noticed yesterday they stripped the torx head on the oil drain plug! This is why I like to change my own oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back