Tried QSUD for 1st time

Status
Not open for further replies.
in DI Lexus w/170K on clock. Reasons: 1) Low price at wally (17.97) 2) Pretty good Noack 8.8 I blv 3) Never heard anything bad about it on BITOG

Change every 5k which is prolly overkill, but 170k on a DI engine w/out problems is pretty good.

I may give it a go in my 2018 Jeep at some point, but right now, I can get a $17 rebate on a jug of Mobil 1 EP and a M1 EP oil filter. The oil filter is on clearance right now and I think they have one more on the shelf, so I think I'd pay around 11 or 12 bucks for the oil change. QUSD may have to wait a little bit. It looks like great oil, though! The data sheet, to me, looks better than Pennzoil Platinum. It has a lower pour point and higher flash point, so it looks like it has better base stock than PP, at least on paper.

Last edited:
I'm wondering why QSUD would have a lower pour point and higher flash point than PP? They don't seen to advertise GTL base stock with it, so I'm wondering if Shell's group III base stock is actually better than the GTL they spent so much money to produce? That's a real head scratcher. I almost think they should replace whatever they are using for Pennzoil Ultra with QSUD.

Originally Posted by IndyFan
I'm wondering why QSUD would have a lower pour point and higher flash point than PP? They don't seen to advertise GTL base stock with it, so I'm wondering if Shell's group III base stock is actually better than the GTL they spent so much money to produce? That's a real head scratcher. I almost think they should replace whatever they are using for Pennzoil Ultra with QSUD.

We know where the GTL is coming from - what about the other GIII stocks ?

Originally Posted by 4WD

Of course I'm making the assumption that Shell even has group III base stocks right now. I really don't know they do or don't and I really don't know what's in the QSUD. Maybe it is GTL but has different additives? I just don't know why they'd have a brand they sell for less than PP that appears to actually perform better than their flagship oil.

Originally Posted by Speak2Mountain
in DI Lexus w/170K on clock. Reasons: 1) Low price at wally (17.97) 2) Pretty good Noack 8.8 I blv 3) Never heard anything bad about it on BITOG

Change every 5k which is prolly overkill, but 170k on a DI engine w/out problems is pretty good.

LOL that's exactly why I tried it. Haters need to get a life!

Originally Posted by 4WD

Of course I'm making the assumption that Shell even has group III base stocks right now. I really don't know they do or don't and I really don't know what's in the QSUD. Maybe it is GTL but has different additives? I just don't know why they'd have a brand they sell for less than PP that appears to actually perform better than their flagship oil.

Likely to have as good/better properties but perhaps oxidation stability ? … But this day and time I think they all shuffle cards and would buy SK Yubase all day long to keep so many complicated contracts fulfilled. Heard the original PUP had CVX PAO for example … Nothing wrong with that ...

Been using QSUD for some time now. It looks like a pretty robust oil and I use it in my GDI engines with 5K oc intervals. In 15 years QS has never let me down. I can't understand why some people just don't like it.

Originally Posted by 4WD
Originally Posted by 4WD

Likely to have as good/better properties but perhaps oxidation stability ? … But this day and time I think they all shuffle cards and would buy SK Yubase all day long to keep so many complicated contracts fulfilled. Heard the original PUP had CVX PAO for example … Nothing wrong with that ...

Yes, I wish PUP was still made that way. Today, I'm not sure it has any advantage over PP. It doesn't look that different in the PDS. I'm running it right now in my 18 Jeep and will do a UOA at 5k, but I think it is just tweaked PP with a higher price tag nowadays. QSUD even looks better than PUP on paper.

Plus QSUD has a slightly higher kinematic viscosity than some other brands. For instance in 5W30 it's Kv100 is 11 cSt which is good news for closet thickies. Compare that with about 9.8 for Pennzoil Platinum.
laugh.gif

Last edited:
QSUD has been shining lately. I use it in 3 vehicles and even the mower loves it. I mostly like how it's a tad thicker than the PP & PUP. For the price, it's the bomb.com

Last edited:
I've never had a problem with any Quaker State products.
Its normally my go-to when working on other peoples vehicles.
Quaker State High Mileage w/ Slick 50 10w30 was the only thing my dads Saturn could take without burning oil, that was when HM oil was pretty mysterious and didnt get API or any certs unlike today.
That same oil stopped an oil pan seal from leaking in my 2005 2.3L Ranger back in 2010, its 2019 and still no leaks.
QSAD, especially 5w30, is a very underrated conventional as well, that's still my go-to if I'm buying full price oil for someone else.

Originally Posted by nascarnation
Shell Gas Truck oil would make your Lexus much more manly, but for durability purposes, you'll be just fine with QS.

But you'll have to put BFG's KO's on it!!!

QSUD isnt in commercials much. I think they make a very good oil without the bells and whistle. If I were to go to OTC oil QSUD or Magnatec would be the way I would go.

Originally Posted by 4WD

I think Gohkin has stated that QUSD is indeed GTL, but from a different source than PP. Maybe Malaysia?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back