Another detector find

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had a metal detecting club I joined come out and help go over the property. I found this ring. Looks military but I can't date it. Its marked sterling on the inside. Can anyone date it?

Also a member found what looks like a ww2 50 Cal shell casing.

Its marked 42 and with a tw.

IMG_20190629_161054877.jpg

IMG_20190629_161208058.jpg

IMG_20190629_161223961.jpg

IMG_20190629_161635233.jpg

IMG_20190629_162004011.jpg

Last edited:
Curious thing is its not marked with anything other then eagle shield and stars. Inside the ring says sterling >U< ( a capital U between arrows) and a really tiny " made in usa "

No branch , class or date, no initials.

The top is stars surrounding where the stone would be set. I would think a prestigious military academy like West Point would have the name somewhere.

It seems military but it could be a military school. The .50 caliber casing find is interesting. Was there a history of a school or a military facility at your location in the past?

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Jarlaxle
What's on the ring opposite the eagle?

The ring is the same on both sides.

Originally Posted by PimTac
The top is stars surrounding where the stone would be set. I would think a prestigious military academy like West Point would have the name somewhere.

It seems military but it could be a military school. The .50 caliber casing find is interesting. Was there a history of a school or a military facility at your location in the past?

No the property has been in the family since the 1800's . The land was cleared as farmland. My grandfather did own a laundry business in a town 30-40 miles away, during ww2. He did military cleaning contracts during the day and customer clothes at night.

That's the only connection.

Last edited:
The cartridge is from 1942, the TW means it was produced in the Twin Cities Ordnance Plant - Minneapolis, Minnesota

Cartridge is a 1942 production from Twin Cities Ordnance near Minneapolis. Fascinating history to the place, and a great example of the dedication of American manufacturing to the war effort.

One of the members found a Victorian era women's sash buckle. It is pretty bent up. It was found where a clothes line used to be.
I let him keep it.

IMG_20190629_122944216.jpg

Last edited:
Its either an Enlisted or Officer ring. From my experience it looks to be a Balfour circa WWI/WWII, possibly Korea, as I've seen numerous rings via military museums as well as on fellow patients at the VA.
I'd reach out to either Balfour or Jostens to see if it's one of their previous designs as I had the option from both to get mine done and both have been around for 100+ years producing military rings.

Probably wont find the owner through them, but theyll be able to verify if it's their design and the era it was produced.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back