Garage door openers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Genie chain drive that was 13 years old passed away the other day. Had a lift master with belt drive installed. Included new motor, sensors, rail , outside key pad,inside key pad and two remotes for the cars. Was considering doing it myself so I sat down until the urge passed. Everything is expensive here in New Jersey. The bill was $700.00. I'm trying to tell myself that the cost amortized over the expected life span of the unit (15 years) or so isn't so bad. I can tell you that the belt drive is 200% quieter then the chain drive.

I went from a Craftsman chain drive that was built in 1994 to a Genie belt drive and couldn't believe the difference. Though I installed it myself, the opener was $160 on clearance. Even came with a battery backup!

Liftmaster is made by Chamberlain, which also makes Craftsman and a slew of other brands.

I spoke to a Chamberlain tech about an outdoor keypad and got around to asking some other questions about a year ago. He said the guts of all the openers (motors, circuit boards, nylon cogs, etc) are the same and have been for decades.

To paraphrase him, "If you've got a super design, why change?"

Be glad you didn't buy another Genie. Their circuit boards are really troublesome. I know this from experiences my daughter and son-in-law had with such.

The balancing done by an experienced installer can add years of reliability to your setup.

I'm now open to flaming...

No flaming from me. I convinced myself a long time ago that the only way I could get repairs done was to make enough money doing things I know how to do in order to pay people enough money to do things for me that I don't know how to do. The end result is the same...I think

Cool, we just ordered a $128 basic chamberlain chain drive for the new house.

Lowes has a deal for the next week for $69 in house installation, they can do it for that price!

I purchased a Sommer garage door opener from Lowes a couple years ago. Totally different concept with the motor attached to the garage door itself.
We really like this opener and believe it or not it is quieter than my belt drive chamberlain on my other door.

I installed a Genie Excelerator when I bought my first house in 2004. Home Depot use to sell them. My younger sis lives in the house now and it's still going.
The previous opener was from the 70's I'm guessing and I couldn't buy a replacement remote for it.
Much faster opener than anyone else in the neighborhood. The fast ones are loud, but a compromise I'm willing to make.

Once you have a fast door opener, you wont wanna go back to slow pathetic ever again.
I had a fast Genie installed at my new home. The good ones are no longer available at big box stores. You gotta Google Genie Pro Line
and look at the listed opening speed of the different models.
https://www.geniecompany.com/garage-door-openers/pro-line.aspx

Had a pair of Genie screw drive openers in the late 1970s. Kept the house 15 years. They lasted as long as I had the house.

Originally Posted by bruckus
I purchased a Sommer garage door opener from Lowes a couple years ago. Totally different concept with the motor attached to the garage door itself.
We really like this opener and believe it or not it is quieter than my belt drive chamberlain on my other door.

Love my Sommer opener with lifetime warranty and whisper quite.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by David2431
Liftmaster is made by Chamberlain, which also makes Craftsman and a slew of other brands.

I spoke to a Chamberlain tech about an outdoor keypad and got around to asking some other questions about a year ago. He said the guts of all the openers (motors, circuit boards, nylon cogs, etc) are the same and have been for decades.

To paraphrase him, "If you've got a super design, why change?"

Be glad you didn't buy another Genie. Their circuit boards are really troublesome. I know this from experiences my daughter and son-in-law had with such.

The balancing done by an experienced installer can add years of reliability to your setup.

I'm now open to flaming...

I have a Liftmaster and it works fantastic. It is super quiet. The battery backup went, and I got a new battery after a few years, but I had it unplugged for a while so that was my fault. We don't park in the garage, the racecar will live in it eventually so the door isn't used everyday.

I got a 1 HPChamberlain a few years ago to replace the 1980's 1/2 hp Craftsman chain drive that finally died after almost 30 years use.

It is a belt drive, and is almost silent compared to the chain drive, speed is a little faster than the chain, but not as fast as in the video above. I have a double insulated door, so pretty heavy
It was a clearance model at Home Depot. I think it was $160, belt drive, battery backup, 1hp, wireless outdoor pad, upgraded interior switch (programable close timer, motion activated light) with internet connectivity (MyQ).
Installed it myself (not really that hard since I was replacing, not new install). Circuit board failed after about 5 months, got a new one sent for free in 2 days, mad it went out so soon, but at least they took care of it and was not a big deal to fix myself (but if you had to pay, I would be really mad).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back