Yokohama Geolander AT G015

Status
Not open for further replies.
A bit of toilet reading material.

I recently had a flat on my work truck and had to install a spare wheel and tire I picked up from a local junk yard, it still had a factory tire that had a build date of 10/05, being close to 13 years old when I got it, I new I was rolling the dice when I picked it up, but hey a old spare is better than having no spare at all. Well 3 weeks ago my 235 85 16 Bridgstone Duravis R250 picked up a large piece of metal on the road and my tire went flat quick, and my work truck being so heavy (00 f250 2wd 5.4 single cab with utility bed full of tools, 30gal air compressor, Lincoln Ranger r250 welder/generator weights in a whoping 11k) lop sided quick.

So I pulled over took my bottle jack and tool to lower my spare blah,blah,blah. When installing the spare I noticed how bad it's condition really was the entire tire had cracks, and I mean some decent deep cracks. I wasn't going to risk it, so I went to a local tire shop to drop off my truck tire to see if it was repearable (the guys were busy so he said "it ill take at least 2 hrs" I said "thats fine I'll pick it up later".) They didnt sell used tires and being a spare I didnt want to buy a new tire since it was just a spare, and would most likely have the same fate as the spare and dry rott.
So I went down the street at a local used tire shop and bought a used Yokohama Geolander AT G015 for my spare (235-80-17 10 ply) the thing was practicly new had a build date of 10/18 still had the some of the nipples on the thread, it did how ever had a puncture close to the edge of the tire maybe like an 1" but was still repairable and at $45 installed and balanced how can I go wrong.
So down the road I went, first impression is that its a well made tire, it doesn't bulge the sidewall like tires I've installed in the past, corrnering even though its just one tire on one side it handle the load really well. Went to a job site repair and there was a lot of loose sand, the tire grabbed traction quite well if I would of had that Duravis there forget it, I would of just spun.
It handled the wet road great as well, it didn't feel loose like with the Duravis R250, example, if I do a U-turn in wet payment and give it some good throttle the truck will break loose easy, with the Yoko it actually grabbed the payment and didn't want to let loose, granted this are two very different tires and just 1 tire but the difference was night and day with just one tire, still on my truck as well, I'll wear it out a bit before putting it back to its location, making sure those $45 were well spent.

The Yoko's caught my attention and might be my new tire purchase on my personal truck. Currently Im running Mastercrafts ATX on my personal truck and havent had problems with them, but at about 30k I had 1 tire covered warranty due to it growing a freaking tumor on the side wall and it wasn't a pot hole or anything it apperead there from one day to the next, and one of the other tires looks like the sidewall is starting to grow a tumor as well, so no more MC for me.

As I mentioned it's only one tire, it was used with a puncture close to the edge and not enough miles to see if it's worth buying a new set for my personal truck but from some reviews on the net it yielded me to get a new set for my personal truck.
(Oh if you are wondering why I have a 17" spare and my truck uses 16" wheels it's because I wanted a stock era aluminum wheel, and this one was as close to appearance I could find.)

My Yoko AT G015 experienceso far:

The 2018 Nissan Titan leftover I bought had Toyo all seasons that had gone bad from not being moved enough and after road force balancing failed the dealer decided to get new ones. I asked if the replacements could be AT tires and Nissan has a list of about 8 tires and the G015s were the best of the lot and have good online reviews. Got them on and the shaking was almost worse. They then road force balanced these and 3 failed. Got 4 more and 2 failed. Just got 2 more on yesterday and they R/Fed good and the truck drives smooth finally. The first 4 had a build date of 1519 and the next 6 all 1219. So 5 of 10 failed road force balancing. Bad lots 3 weeks apart? They do ride nice, are quiet and handle ok. Fingers crossed. 265/70-18 size.

Those tires were a new model in early 2016 IIRC. My son has about 25K on a set he bought back then and no problems so far.

Smooth ride, handle well, good in rain and deep snow (10 inches +), don't leak air, stay balanced. Still look like new to my eyes.

Sounds like yours is the LT version. I have the P-metric version on my 4Runner and I'm not a fan. The sidewalls are squishy and when I adequately air them up so they don't collapse around corners, they wear the tread in the center very quickly. Overall they're a soft tire, which is likely how they meet the triple peak snowflake rating. I have about 25k on mine and they're down to 7/32 (started at 13/32) and I'll be replacing them before this winter hits- I"m guessing they'll be down to 4/32 or so by then.

These are the tires the Sierra is riding on now. I'm extremely happy with them. Truthfully though, riding on the the rims themselves would have improved the ride quality and longevity versus the garbage B.F Goodrich tires that came with the truck from the factory.

Originally Posted by Newman88
A bit of toilet reading material.

I recently had a flat on my work truck and had to install a spare wheel and tire I picked up from a local junk yard, it still had a factory tire that had a build date of 10/05, being close to 13 years old when I got it, I new I was rolling the dice when I picked it up, but hey a old spare is better than having no spare at all. Well 3 weeks ago my 235 85 16 Bridgstone Duravis R250 picked up a large piece of metal on the road and my tire went flat quick, and my work truck being so heavy (00 f250 2wd 5.4 single cab with utility bed full of tools, 30gal air compressor, Lincoln Ranger r250 welder/generator weights in a whoping 11k) lop sided quick.

So I pulled over took my bottle jack and tool to lower my spare blah,blah,blah. When installing the spare I noticed how bad it's condition really was the entire tire had cracks, and I mean some decent deep cracks. I wasn't going to risk it, so I went to a local tire shop to drop off my truck tire to see if it was repearable (the guys were busy so he said "it ill take at least 2 hrs" I said "thats fine I'll pick it up later".) They didnt sell used tires and being a spare I didnt want to buy a new tire since it was just a spare, and would most likely have the same fate as the spare and dry rott.
So I went down the street at a local used tire shop and bought a used Yokohama Geolander AT G015 for my spare (235-80-17 10 ply) the thing was practicly new had a build date of 10/18 still had the some of the nipples on the thread, it did how ever had a puncture close to the edge of the tire maybe like an 1" but was still repairable and at $45 installed and balanced how can I go wrong.
So down the road I went, first impression is that its a well made tire, it doesn't bulge the sidewall like tires I've installed in the past, corrnering even though its just one tire on one side it handle the load really well. Went to a job site repair and there was a lot of loose sand, the tire grabbed traction quite well if I would of had that Duravis there forget it, I would of just spun.
It handled the wet road great as well, it didn't feel loose like with the Duravis R250, example, if I do a U-turn in wet payment and give it some good throttle the truck will break loose easy, with the Yoko it actually grabbed the payment and didn't want to let loose, granted this are two very different tires and just 1 tire but the difference was night and day with just one tire, still on my truck as well, I'll wear it out a bit before putting it back to its location, making sure those $45 were well spent.

The Yoko's caught my attention and might be my new tire purchase on my personal truck. Currently Im running Mastercrafts ATX on my personal truck and havent had problems with them, but at about 30k I had 1 tire covered warranty due to it growing a freaking tumor on the side wall and it wasn't a pot hole or anything it apperead there from one day to the next, and one of the other tires looks like the sidewall is starting to grow a tumor as well, so no more MC for me.

As I mentioned it's only one tire, it was used with a puncture close to the edge and not enough miles to see if it's worth buying a new set for my personal truck but from some reviews on the net it yielded me to get a new set for my personal truck.
(Oh if you are wondering why I have a 17" spare and my truck uses 16" wheels it's because I wanted a stock era aluminum wheel, and this one was as close to appearance I could find.)
The Geolandar AT-S was the lowest price name brand LT235/85R16E A/T tire I could find when I first got the F-450 in my sig-it's pretty dang heavy, but the Geos have done everything I've asked them to do, for the last six years. The set on the XJ pretty much refuses to wear out, as well. I would think the G015s would be good too.

Originally Posted by Newman88
...... used Yokohama Geolander AT G015..... $45 installed and balanced how can I go wrong.
All I drive is used tires. Got four worn out Geolanders on 4 rims that I loved for $100. Figured I'd have to change the tires in 5000 miles. But they are past 12,000 miles now & still give better handling than some of my tires with more tread. Love my rims & if I come across other used Geolanders, I'll get them & drive away happy with my deal.

Last edited:
Since you all like pictures I took some earlier.
Enjoy.

The Yoko's
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

The Bridgstones r250's
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I tried to get a set of the AT G015's for my truck, but they couldn't get my size for some reason so I went with the Geolandar H/T's. They are really close in tread style and I don't do any offroading so I figured I'd be ok, boy was I wrong! I can report at around 1500 miles they are by far the absolute worst tire I've had. Wet traction is laughable, and road noise is worse than the bro truck style tires. Steering is unpredictable. The set of cracked 6 year old Michelins were leaps beyond these. I know they were on the inexpensive side, but darn they're bad! I wouldn't even think about the AT's either now... I had a set of Yoko tires on my old Jetta and they were great, but apparently for trucks it's a no go!

Friend installed some G015's on an 01 Z71 Tahoe and didn't even get 20K out of them before they were unsafe to drive on. Worst tread life I've seen out of an AT tire on a truck/SUV.

Originally Posted by Delta
I tried to get a set of the AT G015's for my truck, but they couldn't get my size for some reason so I went with the Geolandar H/T's. They are really close in tread style and I don't do any offroading so I figured I'd be ok, boy was I wrong! I can report at around 1500 miles they are by far the absolute worst tire I've had. Wet traction is laughable, and road noise is worse than the bro truck style tires. Steering is unpredictable. The set of cracked 6 year old Michelins were leaps beyond these. I know they were on the inexpensive side, but darn they're bad! I wouldn't even think about the AT's either now... I had a set of Yoko tires on my old Jetta and they were great, but apparently for trucks it's a no go!

At only 1500 miles, I would be back at my tire dealer asking for a do-over with another tire.

Originally Posted by e55amgbenz007
Friend installed some G015's on an 01 Z71 Tahoe and didn't even get 20K out of them.....
Considering my post above, stating my purchased used worn-out Geolanders, still were providing good service after 12,000miles, I would ask, if the Tahoe had a wheel alignment.

Switched back to Geolandar GO15 from Nitto TG2 and couldn't me happier. Ride comfort and noise for starters way down. On tarmac even in rains far superior grip and steering response and off road in gravel, loose sand and moderate mud it does very well. They are rated for snow but will never have chance to test that as it never snows here. Gonna stick to Yokohama for good.

IMG_20190717_153030.jpg

15k review and the tire is still doing great no visible wear, has been handling the weight extremely well. Definitely buying some for my truck.

GO15 is very good and even the P version does well off road and with few cut and abrasion unless you are doing some serious rocks and in that case LT is advisable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back