Check your dog food

Status
Not open for further replies.

AZjeff

$50 Site Donor 2023
For those who don't watch the news, the FDA is warning that certain dog food brands may cause heart disease. We recently switched to 4Health ironically. Not taking chances with my best friends.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/dog-fo...-16-dog-food-brands-under-investigation/

[Linked Image]

The "evidence" that the FDA has is flimsy at best.

We think it is misleading for the FDA to post the names of brands, while at the same time fully stating that they have no scientific evidence linking diet to DCM. We feel this will only serve to further confuse pet lovers," the company stated

Rachel Ray Nutrish is some good stuff. That's what I feed my cat. Purina One is also vet recommended.

The FDA is not warning, it's "alerting" with user reported data since it hasn't determined a causal link between diet and heart disease. Our vet had a warning letter late last year about the association of grain free dog foods with chickpeas & lentils associated to DCM. They were advising not to supply grain free unless necessary.

I find it a bit ironic that it's the premium foods that are listed as most problematic. To me it's like saying, "stop using taste of the wild (Amsoil) and start using Ol' Roy (super tech)"

Our poodle mix gets Blue Buffalo chicken/brown rice but our Border Collie made it to 14 on Kibbles n Bits.

If you do a google on Dog food recalls you will find out most of this stuff is poison. I've been making Trevor's food for almost three years now. Brown rice, vegetables, Range feed chicken both fresh and raw. Also fish. All of his allegories have cleared up and he's doing great he's 11. He is a Jack Russell terrorist.

I've been using 4health for years. The vet raves about the condition of my 10 year old pup. This looks like fake news to be honest. "Buy more corn based food!!!"

Originally Posted by dave123
Same FDA claims eggs are unhealthy for what it's worth.

There is reason to. Many sources that have no dog or eggs or meat in the fight will indicate that meats and dairy products are not
real good for you.

In the largest study of its kind..really a bellweather study..The China-Cornell-Oxford Project initiated in 1983 and lasting 20 years. There is hard statistical evidence that animal based foods shorten life. Do I eat eggs, meat, cheese., etc? Of course. But I also know that I need to offset its effects. I exercise, avoid sugar as much as possible, eat lots of fiber and take a statin and control my BP. For a 73 year old guy. Doc says I'm 95+% of old person fitness.....BUT..at that age a lot of bets are off. [thread hyjack]

Last edited:
Dogs get heart disease because the food is processed carbohydrate product that leads to inflammation and then atherosclerosis. Just like humans and other species that developed as carnivore and are carnivores.

I don't care WHAT brand you want to choose, if the average person knew what the FDA allows pet food manufacturers to produce their pet foods from...they'd be stunned and outraged to say the least.

Ed

Of course dipute anything the FDA says as a matter of principal. Given a choice of a brand at the top or the bottom or not on the list at all I know what we're doing. This is all grain free dog food btw.

Originally Posted by Fawteen

The agency instead pointed to pet food labeled as "grain-free" and containing peas, lentils and other legume seeds and/or potatoes as their primary ingredients.

These things have never appeared in any wild canine diet, in any quantities, at any time in the history of evolution of dogs...they are high in lectins, and plant toxins, and typically inflamatory to the system.

It's a pretty fair hypothesis to be making a warning against....

seriously, adding these things to dog food so that you can claim "grain free", then getting all pouty about having the finger pointed is a bit rich...

Originally Posted by Al
Originally Posted by dave123
Same FDA claims eggs are unhealthy for what it's worth.

There is reason to. Many sources that have no dog or eggs or meat in the fight will indicate that meats and dairy products are not
real good for you.

Not many canines evolved eating an animal product free diet...and these issues are how recent in the feeding of dogs ?

When we switched out what they eat naturally with grains, we started to introduce diseases of modern human lifestyle into our companions...

BTW, meat, raised on grain based feedlots of course lead to health issues...it shouldn't be allowed to be called meat, nor should grain based dairy be treated the same as pasture dairy...actually, just about every food that we produce intensively is nutritionally poorer than what was around 200 years ago (cleaner, yes, nutritionally poorer)

Originally Posted by Buzzinhalfdozen
Dogs get heart disease because the food is processed carbohydrate product that leads to inflammation and then atherosclerosis. Just like humans and other species that developed as carnivore and are carnivores.

Linus Pauling, double nobel winner used dogs to investigate artherosclerosis, as they don't get it in the wild...by elevating the insulin levels in individual arteries, he was able to introduce blockages into individual arteries (and even veins), which were returned to their normal state when the insulin was removed.

Interesting that he also noted that in animals that produce their own vit C, they produce it at many times the concentration of our "RDA" approach that is just enough to stop your teeth falling out.

We feed our dogs Orijen. It is my opinion that the quality decreased when production was moved from Canada to Tennessee. Like this article and the FDA "warning", I have no evidence to back up my thinking.

I'd bet good money that many owners using higher-quality foods are overfeeding, and not properly exercising their dogs. There may be more of a correlation to the typical American human diet/habits than any particular dog food brand.

I have tried some of the grain free dog foods on that list, and it causes all my dogs diarrhea. I won't be suckered again.

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally Posted by Shannow
Originally Posted by Fawteen

The agency instead pointed to pet food labeled as "grain-free" and containing peas, lentils and other legume seeds and/or potatoes as their primary ingredients.

These things have never appeared in any wild canine diet, in any quantities, at any time in the history of evolution of dogs...they are high in lectins, and plant toxins, and typically inflamatory to the system.

It's a pretty fair hypothesis to be making a warning against....

seriously, adding these things to dog food so that you can claim "grain free", then getting all pouty about having the finger pointed is a bit rich...

The first ingredient in most dog food is corn. Also something that has never appeared in a wild canine diet and is only on dog food because it's very cheap.

Originally Posted by JohnnyJohnson
If you do a google on Dog food recalls you will find out most of this stuff is poison. I've been making Trevor's food for almost three years now. Brown rice, vegetables, Range feed chicken both fresh and raw. Also fish. All of his allegories have cleared up and he's doing great he's 11. He is a Jack Russell terrorist.

Sounds like what my co worker makes for his dog. He tells me his dog is doing well and he is more "active and alert"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back