BMW LL-01

Status
Not open for further replies.
I maintain my daughters 05 325i
I was using mobil 1 0w 40 until they removed the LL-01- spec,.
I then switched to Castrol 0w-40 now I here there doing the same.
I want a availible oil I can buy at walmart because I maintain 6 cars total so oil cost is a factor.
I have checked and can't find penzoil or Quaker state at walmart that meets the LL-01 spec.
No I wont buy Amsoil, Redline Motul ect.
Is Castrol still ok ?
Mobil 1 ?

Last edited:
Just dropping a spec doesn't necessarily mean it does not meet it anymore. These two oils still meet MB229.5 and Porsche A40, as does PP 0w-40 Euro. In FL I wouldn't hesitate to use M1 10w-40HM either.

All of the oils you mentioned are fine for a reasonable interval. If youre going 15k by the count, then follow the spec, otherwise they all work.

Originally Posted by tblt44
No I dont go 15k
I do let it go 8-9k

You are fine. BMW is moving aways from LL01, and expect this with other oils too.
Castrol 0W40 is still OK.

FYI Valvoline 0W-40 is LL-01 spec and may be the cheapest 0W-40 commonly available, you can order it by the quart from Walmart for $4.22 each. When they get it in stock it sells out quickly. It is also available in 5 quart jugs. I use it in my Mercedes diesel and Audi, it works great.

Originally Posted by Ignatius
FYI Valvoline 0W-40 is LL-01 spec and may be the cheapest 0W-40 commonly available, you can order it by the quart from Walmart for $4.22 each. When they get it in stock it sells out quickly. It is also available in 5 quart jugs. I use it in my Mercedes diesel and Audi, it works great.

Never heard of this. Is it MST or something?

I dont like valvoline or mobil super.
I would rather run mobil 1 0w 40 than there super.
Valvoline had issues with burning oil in gm 5.3

Care to explain this?

The way Valvoline words the approvals on their PI sheet is beyond silly. It does appear to have MB-Approval 229.5 but not 229.3, despite saying both "Meet requirements of". The approval language for 229.5 is incorrect for an actual approval however. Who knows about actual BMW or VW approvals.

Any company that can screw up their critical approval listings like that is one that I'm going to avoid, regardless of how good or inexpensive the oil might be. They are essentially lying about the 229.3, why should I believe them about LL-01?

Originally Posted by kschachn

The way Valvoline words the approvals on their PI sheet is beyond silly. It does appear to have MB-Approval 229.5 but not 229.3, despite saying both "Meet requirements of". The approval language for 229.5 is incorrect for an actual approval however. Who knows about actual BMW or VW approvals.

Any company that can screw up their critical approval listings like that is one that I'm going to avoid, regardless of how good or inexpensive the oil might be.

I'm not excited about their wording on the oils either but im going to try it .

Originally Posted by Kjmack
I'm not excited about their wording on the oils either but im going to try it .

After you try it, how will you know if it had the approval you required?

These unethical companies that weasel-word their approvals and certs are worthless in my book. For about $4 more I can get 5 quarts of oil that has an approval sheet that doesn't obfuscate the truth.

To be honest I won't . I only do 3k-4k OCIs so I have that on my side . I have been looking at UOAs on similar vehicle to see results . But yes I don't know

My cars are 2 VW gen 3s : Carbon machines and a Mercedes E350 that only is driven occasionally want to see more than 2000 miles a year probably.

Originally Posted by tblt44
I maintain my daughters 05 325i
I was using mobil 1 0w 40 until they removed the LL-01- spec,.
I then switched to Castrol 0w-40 now I here there doing the same.
I want a availible oil I can buy at walmart

Castrol 5W-40 still carries the LL-01 spec, and can be purchased from Walmart or Walmart.com if your local store does not stock it.

However, between the two, I'd rather use Castrol 0W-40. As a matter of fact, the containers of 0W-40 at my local Walmart still list the LL-01 spec. Not that I would worry about this in a 2005 model year car.

Originally Posted by 97tbird
There should be some Pennzoil Ultra Euro or some variant that still carries LL-01, right?

Platinum Euro 5W-40 still carries the LL-01 spec, but my local Walmart doesn't stock it. You could order online though.

FWIW I was in Walmart yesterday, the shelf was stocked with Castrol 0W-40 and all of it had Longlife-01 approval. Two different labels but both with LL-01.

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by kschachn
FWIW I was in Walmart yesterday, the shelf was stocked with Castrol 0W-40 and all of it had Longlife-01 approval. Two different labels but both with LL-01.

[Linked Image]

If memory serves, the jug on the right is the "new" label.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back