Cooper CS5 Ultra Touring($113) or Goodyear Eagle Sport($118)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Now I know both are not in the same category but if you had to choose between the two and the price difference between them is $5 a tire what would you choose? I am leaning more towards the Eagle Sport since there have been comments about the CS5 Ultra Touring wearing unevenly. Also winter performance is a none issue since I run dedicated winter tires. I originally had my eye on a set of Cooper Zeon RS3-G1 that were on sale which unfortunately ended at the place where I was gonna buy them from.

welcome2.gif

The CS5 is actually a BITOG favorite

Thanks for all your replies so far everyone. I think I might just change my mind :thinking:

I have Cooper CS5 Grand Touring tires on 2 of my cars. Our 3rd car is still on the OEM tires. I've had great luck with my Cooper tires and would recommend them.

I have cs5's on my wife's Nissan. They are excellent. Sheds water like a duck's back in the heaviest of rain. My car I cheaped out. Walmart specials made in Malaysia. They're ok but when it rains the wife drives.

Originally Posted by doomie_22
.....the price difference between them is $5 a tire what would you choose?.....leaning more towards the Eagle Sport.....CS5 Ultra Touring wearing unevenly.......my eye on a set of Cooper Zeon RS3-G1 that were on sale
As a "used" tire driver, I've experienced two sets of Goodyear tires(Comfortreds & Eagle GT---discontinued), one set of Cooper Lifeliner tires, & two sets of Cooper affiliate tires (Mastercraft Strategy & 440). All tires have given pleasant service, for smoothness, dry & wet traction & handling. The Goodyears have better turn-in & road-life than any of the Coopers, but the Eagle GT is noisy on bad surfaces. The Cooper CS5 is more expensive than its siblings & is the best Cooper tire. If the CS5 Ultra is made in America, I would buy that, since Cooper is trying to stay in America. Goodyear tires are now made in various other countries. Of my present eight used tires, 4 were made in the U.S., including two Mastercraft, one Dean(Cooper affiliate) & one Goodyear (one of the last American Comfortreds?).

When my Malaysian Walmarts wear out I'll put CS5's on my Nissan as well. But I can get away with 185/65r 15. I've just got a Versa sedan. Tire rack has them for $80.

Have had CS5 on Lexus ES for 8k miles now, and through the worst winter we have had in 50 years. Great tire; best all-season tire I've ever seen.

We had cheaper cooper tires on that car before these (Mastercraft Strategy), and they were quite good, too. Surprisingly good for the money.

That said, if you are running dedicated snows and you value performance, then get the sportier tire. I didn't see what the car was. If it's a minivan or commuter, just go with the Cooper. You'll likely get a lot more mileage out of the CS5 so cost per mile would be lower than just a $5 difference.

I'm on my second set of CS5 Ultra Touring(s). (different cars) love 'em. (Cooper is headquartered about 45 min from me as well...which factors into my equation a bit... the whole "buy local" thing...)

My family has had nothing but sub par performance from most Goodyear products... however YMMV....

I have Cooper cs5 ultra touring tires on my 02 Accord. They have been on for maybe 30k plus. They are very quiet, smooth and the grip in the rain is fantastic. Plus they are wearing perfectly even.

I have CS5 Ultras on my Mazda and I'm pleased with them thus far. Handling is good, better than I expected even, ride and noise are good and wet handling is phenomenal. They even handled a freak late May snowstorrm without much trouble. Can't really speak about treadwear because I maybe have 1000 miles on them, but given as I swap tires in the winter that's not really a concern for me anyway.

Originally Posted by Aredeeem
..... I'll put CS5's on my Nissan as well. But I can get away with 185/65r 15. I've just got a Versa sedan.
I used to like small tires, too. But my experience with used tires in larger sizes, has turned me into a large tire fan. My small Hyundai Accent had original 175x70x14 inch tires & rims. But, now I have 205x65x15 inch tires on the front, giving 8% less rpms on the highway. The low geared 5 speed manual transmission now gives 260 less rpms at 60MPH AND MPG went UP with the LARGER diameter tires! Cornering & handling are improved & larger bumps are absorbed better with the larger tires. Highway travel feels more grown-up. I'm sure the Versa can take much larger tires than what you mention. The 205x65x15 tires should readily go on the Versa, giving 4% reduced rpms on the highway. Possibly, 195x70x15 inch tires would fit the Versa too, giving a 5% reduction in rpms on the highway.

Last edited:
The coopers are nearly all made in the USA for the CS5s but nearly all Zeons are made in China. The GY eagle sports are a mix of Chile, Turkey and US depending on the tire size. I have heard real good remarks on the Eagle Sports on Tire Rack. I was originally going to get the Eagle Sports on my Eclipse but was able to find a US made tire (Eagle F1 Asymetrical) instead. If COO isn't important to you, I would go with the Goodyears.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back