Is this rust a concern?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The wife hit something driving down a dark road and it tore a piece of the plastic under body cover off and popped out some clips and such. I got a new cover and replaced it last night. When I pulled off the cover I found this rust and not sure if it's a concern. Car is 1 year old and with 16k. 2017 Kia Forte.
Thanks again everyone.

20190628_212407.jpg

20190628_212430.jpg

Looks like surface rust on the CV joint housing in these pictures. I doubt if it matters, but if it bothers you, spritz it with your favorite corrosion protectant (Boeshield, Krown, Rustoleum, etc.) and forget it. The joint's innards will likely wear out before the joint housing's integrity is compromised. Of course, the car is still under warranty, so have the dealer eyeball it and decide what, if anything, they want to do.

Up here cars routinely have that kind of rust after a year. It should be expected on parts that aren't coated.

Most of that isn't a problem but if that metal strap around the boot rusts through and breaks, the boot could pop off and lose grease. You could smear a little grease on the strap to slow that down.

Not really a problem on its own, but you are in Texas where cars don't rust like they do in the northeast, and the car is only a year old, so that is kind of bad considering those factors
crazy2.gif

The joint itself will be fine as long as the boot stays intact. Essentially all CV failures are caused by torn boots!

My OE MB joints that I installed on my 82 Mercedes (CA car, never seen salt or snow once here) has surface rust like that after 8-9 years...

Get some ospho, paint it on, and leave it. Coat with some oily spray after if desired.

This is normal and not a real concern. For some reason (probably cost) they don't paint or coat the CV axle shaft or its inner and outer joints and they develop rust on the bare metal surface. This surface rust will never be an issue other than a cosmetic one.

It looks normal around these parts. If it concerns you, I'd prep and paint it, or prep and rustproof it.

I spray the CV joints with Eastwood Heavy Duty Anti Rust right after purchase and it lasts forever. Comes in black or amber. I like the amber because it doesn't require periodic shaking.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back