Need oil recommendations for a 26 year old diesel.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,
I'm a new owner of a 1993 Daihatsu Rugger with a 2.8lt turbo diesel. Recommended oil as per the manual is an SAE 10w-30 API CD. API lists CD as "obsolet" and goes on to say "the latest category usually, but not always, includes the performance properties of an earlier category". But not always... Should I be concerned?

It's an overhead valve, push rod motor. Is ZDDP content an issue?

This vehicle is like a time capsule with only about 15,000 miles. I've never owned a diesel before and would like to give this old beauty the best chance at survival in today's world.

Your recommendations please.

Thank you for your time and consideration.

Originally Posted by dead_bird
Hi,
I'm a new owner of a 1993 Daihatsu Rugger with a 2.8lt turbo diesel. Recommended oil as per the manual is an SAE 10w-30 API CD. API lists CD as "obsolet" and goes on to say "the latest category usually, but not always, includes the performance properties of an earlier category". But not always... Should I be concerned?

This vehicle is like a time capsule with only about 15,000 miles. I've never owned a diesel before and would like to give this old beauty the best chance at survival in today's world.

Wow what a find! Never heard of the Daihatsu "rugger" so I assume it's a typo.

There aren't many full synthetic 10w30 oils out there, but I'm sure Amsoil ACD or Renewable Lubricants SAE 30 would be great choices. You could run these oils for 15-20k miles assuming the engine was in good shape.

Daihatsu! Very nice. I was going to ask what it said on the cap. Seems it says 10W-30 on there. And you are in Florida.

I wish I could offer a more detailed and exciting explanation, but anything API CH-4 and newer is Current. CH-4, CI-4, CJ-4, CK-4. A dual-rated oil, even something API SL/CF will work for you.. Had some GM 3800s it says API SF or SG on the cap, and of course the newer oils supercede the previous category...

The ZDDP question usually comes up, I remember Quaker State Defy made a splash with that, but unsure if it means anything in present API SN form, as to what API SN allows for zinc and phosphorous, both of which work together for the infamous ZDDP. Or if your engine even needs it. More knowledgeable folk will weigh in on that.

I would recommend almost any 10W-30 off the shelf, you have a 2.8L Turbo Diesel so.. with that low miles on it and as a time capsule, maybe some nice Quaker State or Valvoline, conventional or semi-syn, if you don't feel comfortable with a low price oil like Supertech. All sorts of recommendations will come along but oil is so much more improved.. Really, only the Zinc/ZDDP (and phosphorous) question, and as it relates to an API SN oil, and one that is appropriate for your diesel application. Maybe Shell Rotella T5..

Daihatsu "rugger"

Neither the 1992 Daihatsu Rocky nor Mighty Max seem to have a 2.8L Turbo Diesel so I don't know...

Originally Posted by CleverUserName
Hi,

Wow what a find! Never heard of the Daihatsu "rugger" so I assume it's a typo.

There aren't many full synthetic 10w30 oils out there, but I'm sure Amsoil ACD or Renewable Lubricants SAE 30 would be great choices. You could run these oils for 15-20k miles assuming the engine was in good shape.

Rugger is for the Japanese market. In the US they were known as the Rocky. In Britain it was the Fourtrack. Feroza in Indonesia. And there were others as well.

1992 was the last Rocky in the US.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by talest
Daihatsu "rugger"

Neither the 1992 Daihatsu Rocky nor Mighty Max seem to have a 2.8L Turbo Diesel so I don't know...

google seems to say

The Daihatsu Rugger (Japanese: ダイãƒãƒ„・ラガー Daihatsu RagÄ) is an off-road vehicle built by Daihatsu between 1984 and 2002. The Rugger was also called the Rocky in most export markets, and Fourtrak in the United Kingdom.

2765 cc DL turbodiesel I4

Daihatsu Rugger 2.8 Turbodiesel EL (F75V)
[Linked Image]

In Florida? I'd probably use a 15w40 diesel oil or one of the newer 15w30 hdeo diesel oils.

It isn't a typo , itsa cute ute https://www.google.com/search?q=1993+Daihatsu+Rugger&client=opera&hs=bwl&tbm=isch&source=iu&ictx=1&fir=QZHmo4COLFYK6M%253A%252CKTi-2UmsI2f8KM%252C_&vet=1&usg=AI4_-kTfXz23U3oBFjgOdkEy2K9RjyXsWg&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjBy_3i143jAhVRs1kKHdbcDFEQ9QEwAXoECAgQBg#imgrc=QZHmo4COLFYK6M: I would use a diesel rated oil.. What does Kubota use? Dino oil is fine for anything made in 1993
grin2.gif

API lists CD as "obsolete"

I would honestly just use available Rotella or Delo,

15W-40 will work just fine for you.

Modern API oil standards are backwards compatible. Any diesel oil that meets current specifications should be fine. Shell offers a 10w30 under their Rotella label. If you have a John Deere dealership in the vicinity, their Plus 50 II oil is quality, and they have it in a 10w30 as well.

Originally Posted by Linctex
API lists CD as "obsolete"

I would honestly just use available Rotella or Delo,

15W-40 will work just fine for you.

A diesel and in hot weather, this guy is right on.

Hi
Lucky find.
They were very popular here and has been pointed out was known as the 'Fourtrack'.

There is a facebook site for them if you need help. https://www.facebook.com/groups/fourtrakownersgroup/

Those engines are bomb proof if taken care of. In our climate the body and chassis just rotted away around it.

It says on a uk forum to use a 10w/40 semi synth or mineral oil.

Enjoy it.
smile.gif

The old CD oils are derived from older Series III oils: high inZn/P and detergents, relatively low in dispersants. Mobil Delvac 1430 and 1440 are such oils (CD). You won't find them at Walmart. I think a good 15W40 will do fine in your climate though if you want to be picky choose one that is MB approved 228.3 or 228.31

Last edited:
Originally Posted by mattwithcats
Shell Rotella T6 in 5W-40...

Agree with this, although OP if you don't want to go thicker, Rotella makes a 10w-30 diesel oil....

Looks like i will be trying the Rotella T4 15w-40 for the summer Jun, Jul, Aug, Sep. when the average day time temps are in the high 80s low 90s . Switch to the 10w-30 the rest of the year.

I was, as usual , over thinking it.

A big Thanks to all that took the time to comment.

It is called Daihatsu Feroza overh here
smile.gif

I would use any HDEO in it.... 15w40 / 10w40

My previous fill in my LC was Shell Rimula R6M in 10w40...and it is originally specd for 10w30 / 5w30 API SF/CD...

With these "old style" engines you often have either gear driven camshafts...or gear driven injector pump (my LC has this)...so it is wise to have oil with higher ZDDP amount...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back