Vehicle sighting - 1965 Chevy II/Nova

Status
Not open for further replies.
Stopped and talked to the owner - it's not very original with that 350, but does bring back good memories of my '62 Chevy II (which had the original 194 and Powerglide).

IMG_8120 - Copy.JPG

IMG_8119 - Copy.JPG

IMG_8121 - Copy.JPG

IMG_8122.JPG

My family had a '65 Chevy II SS in black with red interior. SS was a real misnomer with that weak two-speed Powerglide transmission and the inline six. Overall it wasn't a bad car for that era.

Yes, there was a 153 inline-4, the 194 inline-6, or the 283. Not sure if the 283 was offered the first year ('62).

The only other car I could think of that offered 4-, 6-, and 8-cylinder engines was the Mustang II. Can we count the latest Chevy trucks?

I think the fastest version from the factory was a 350HP 327 with a Muncie 4 speed gearbox. Could be wrong about the 350HP rating but that was also in the era when Detroit exaggerated their horsepower claims.

Originally Posted by Number_35
Yes, there was a 153 inline-4, the 194 inline-6, or the 283. Not sure if the 283 was offered the first year ('62).

The only other car I could think of that offered 4-, 6-, and 8-cylinder engines was the Mustang II. Can we count the latest Chevy trucks?

There was a particularly sad period in the early 80s when the 3rd gen Camaro came with a Pontiac Iron Duke 4, a V6, or V8.

There are probably several cars/trucks that had multiple offerings like that. Also sadly, most probably came from GM.
wink.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Langanobob
I think the fastest version from the factory was a 350HP 327 with a Muncie 4 speed gearbox. Could be wrong about the 350HP rating but that was also in the era when Detroit exaggerated their horsepower claims.
They didn't exaggerate anything, it was gross hp ratings on leaded fuel with no catalytic converters. According to my research the hottest muscle cars were actually underrated and/or would gain disproportionate amounts of power with a few bolt-ons. Imported cars were just hilariously underpowered back then.

I was thinking about Chevy IIs the other day, those 66-67s are quite striking.

Originally Posted by maxdustington
Originally Posted by Langanobob
They didn't exaggerate anything, it was gross hp ratings on leaded fuel with no catalytic converters. According to my research the hottest muscle cars were actually underrated and/or would gain disproportionate amounts of power with a few bolt-ons. Imported cars were just hilariously underpowered back then.

I was thinking about Chevy IIs the other day, those 66-67s are quite striking.

Most of them came from the factory detuned. Retarded ignition timing and 4 BBL carburetors that had secondary throttle blades that didn't open much if any. A few minutes with a timing light and basic tools would really wake one up.

Originally Posted by NormanBuntz
My family had a '65 Chevy II SS in black with red interior. SS was a real misnomer with that weak two-speed Powerglide transmission and the inline six. Overall it wasn't a bad car for that era.

Super Sport is a appearance package for Sport Coupe/Hard Top models......What standard equipment come with it varies greatly. You could buy a 1965 Impala SS with a I6/Powerglide just as easily.

I love such cars in white as they remind me of model car kits.

Anyone remember the TV commercials for the "Nova 4"? It featured a spokesman using an English accent.

I don't know if that was to create the feeling or image of economy (smaller European car) or if it was indeed an English commercial.

Were these ever sold across the pond?

I built a 66 Chevy II in the mid 80's from a 6 cyl car brought North from Tennesee.
It even had a jackin' spotlight on the window post
smile.gif

est. 300 horse 355 and a saginaw 4 speed 2 grove pseudo overdrive.
Only 1 second to redline in first and 2 seconds to redline in 2nd and 3 seconds in third gear and you were doing 80mph.

Even with a "mild" street cam and no headers, don't get frisky with a hard 1-2 shift or there goes the rear end yoke - again.

I have some Kodamatic photos of that car in my dresser I think.

Last edited:
I used to have a 4-door '69 Nova and sold it probably about eight years ago. It had the factory 4 cylinder/153 ci engine with the powerglide. Gutless as anything, but it was an economical work car and reliably got me there and back.
Non-powered drum brakes all the way around and, surprisingly, had a factory manual choke. I once had a bet with a co-worker that I could change the fuel pump in 5 minutes or less using only hand wrenches and I won.

Family Friend has a '66 327-350hp, 4spd. It's for sale, in NJ. Not cheap. Near perfectly restored, white on red.. Same motor as in the Vette with about 200 less pounds to move. Talk about a spartan interior, bench seats, no radio, basically just a speedo. dang, I saw the car today at a show and meant to take some pictures.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by ARCOgraphite
Don't want no car with those numbers on the rear qtr.

Well, it doesn't mean anything...until it really means something.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back