Headliner replacement costs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Since most of the cost is in the labor to get it out of the car and put it back in, I always take it out, remove the fabric and scrape off the old foam before taking it to an upholstery shop. Up until a year ago my go to place charged $100, now on the last 2 jobs, $150. What's the going rate these days if anybody else had this done recently?

I'm curious as to why you go through so many headliners? I've replaced one years ago, and never had to replace one since.

I paid about $150 for a small car with a sunroof. I didn't prep the peeling headliner at all. Honestly, the professional job wasn't that nicely done anyway, so I ended up wishing I had done it myself.

I have a Ranger that is really ratty and I'm thinking I can DIY it for under $50.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Fawteen
I'm curious as to why you go through so many headliners? I've replaced one years ago, and never had to replace one since.

Well, it's not on the same car. DUH.
lol.gif

Timely post, I've been looking to replace a Honda Accord HL and checking prices. Ball park I'm getting these days $150-$185. Got a Civic done some years ago for $100 but didn't mess with the sunroof piece which would have added to the cost. Worked out well. Upholstery guy that did it doesn't like working outdoors in summer so gave me a recommendation. All the ones I'm looking at now are mobile operations, like windshield replacement.

Originally Posted by Sayjac
Upholstery guy that did it doesn't like working outdoors in summer so gave me a recommendation. All the ones I'm looking at now are mobile operations, like windshield replacement.

Outdoors? Mobile operations? How is that possible? You need at least a ping pong table size workbench and space to move around it to recover the headliner.

I normally just go to the junkyard and find a similar non-drooping headliner and use that. It's usually $20 or so from the junk yard.

Depends on the vehicle. Last one I did was more than what's being talked about in this thread, but it was a Jeep Cherokee = bigger headliner... Generally a couple hundred bucks though...

The upholstery shop I had do it last time reserves the AC indoor part of his shop for higher paying upholstery jobs, so headliner removal/install takes place outside for him. Not interested in summer HL work for that now.

Mobile operations carry all necessary equipment needed in vans and come the customer. I'm not going to use them, but linked is an example. Most HL reconditioning in this area seems to be going mobile.

https://www.rpmmobileheadlinerservice.com/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back