Vehicle storage: climate control or no?

Status
Not open for further replies.
you have bought the car and not another way around

so, drive it 'till its wheels fall off

GL

Originally Posted by WyrTwister
Stay up North . And deal with the salt .

Atleast something can be done with the salt. Rinsing off at the self wash weekly has been doing me fine for the past decade. With sun, it's constant and not much can be done other than protectants and shade lol.

Originally Posted by Nick1994
Originally Posted by avacado11
Originally Posted by Kjmack
Off the main subject , but dont worry about getting a lexus yet . Main goal is get a house with a garage . Get a lexus when you can afford one . Dont put tje cart in front of the horse ( HOUSE )

I have a house back in NY and that's when my cars are always garaged. But with my current work/living situation(in Arkansas) I just have a tree to park under (I'll be moving back to NY in a year)

Originally Posted by Astro14
If it was a Duesenberg, or a Packard, a Ferrari, etc. then absolutely climate controlled.

But a late model base Lexus?

Why bother?

Seriously.

You spend $1,000/year, or heaven forbid, nearly double that, to keep this thing out of the sun, and at the end of a decade, your car will be worth what every other 2014 Lexus is worth. Perhaps a few hundred more. Tops.

But YOU will be worth at least $10,000 less.

It's a IS250 F sport, near fully loaded lol. But the whole no garage situation is the reason I didn't bring my Maserati down and brought the Lexus instead.

Now that you put it that way, it makes no sense to "preserve" a generic car. But still hurts to see my perfectly good car go to sh*t from being baked in the sun. Saw that first hand with the Subaru that I purchased new.

If the sun made your Subaru have issues, then that's all Subaru's fault.

The interior on all my cars is fine, and they've been parked out in the sun their whole lives. And I'm sorry but the sun in Arkansas isn't even on the charts compared to Phoenix.

The thing is, Subaru and most manufactures aren't gonna cover warped plastic. So I'm on my own here, hence I'm taking precautionary measures.

Idk, I've never been down south. But the sun is way worse then a bad day up in the north east.

Originally Posted by avacado11
Originally Posted by Kjmack
Off the main subject , but dont worry about getting a lexus yet . Main goal is get a house with a garage . Get a lexus when you can afford one . Dont put tje cart in front of the horse ( HOUSE )

I have a house back in NY and that's when my cars are always garaged. But with my current work/living situation(in Arkansas) I just have a tree to park under (I'll be moving back to NY in a year)

If it was a Duesenberg, or a Packard, a Ferrari, etc. then absolutely climate controlled.

But a late model base Lexus?

Why bother?

Seriously.

You spend $1,000/year, or heaven forbid, nearly double that, to keep this thing out of the sun, and at the end of a decade, your car will be worth what every other 2014 Lexus is worth. Perhaps a few hundred more. Tops.

But YOU will be worth at least $10,000 less.

It's a IS250 F sport, near fully loaded lol. But the whole no garage situation is the reason I didn't bring my Maserati down and brought the Lexus instead.

Now that you put it that way, it makes no sense to "preserve" a generic car. But still hurts to see my perfectly good car go to sh*t from being baked in the sun. Saw that first hand with the Subaru that I purchased new.

It pains me too, honestly. I wax my cars, cover my Mercedes, and do my best because my one car garage is full of tools. The Packard is stored inside. But not at the house. Different situation than cars that are driven.

It makes no sense to pay that much for storage, though. Save the money. They all depreciate anyway.

Believe me, if I had a big enough garage, they would ALL be garaged!

I do wax my car almost monthly with a good wax. A cover would be unpractical because it's a daily. If it wasn't something I drove a lot I would just invest in a cheap cover and call it a day. I know Lexuses are well engineered cars that can withstand natural elements, but who knows what might go wrong.

My battery in my Subaru was replaced under warranty and leaked again weeks later due to extreme heat. Brought it in again and was told it's normal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back