Number of holes matter?

Status
Not open for further replies.

FCD

Sadly my local Ford dealer seem to have run out of EFL90 oil filters for my 1975 Capri, so i am going to have to use something else.

What i noticed though when browsing oil filters is that they have different number of holes in them.

For example this Mann W916/1 has only four, https://www.amazon.com/Mann-Filter-916-Spin-Oil-Filter/dp/B001CUG71I

Meanwhile the Bosch has atleast twice as many https://www.amazon.es/dp/B00BHHT5D8...JFQ41&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

Does this matter at all? the original Motorcraft EFL90 would appear to have the same number of holes as the Bosch

Last edited:
Number of holes does not matter directly, but it can indirectly. Its more about overall surface area of the hole, or flow resistance / rate of all the holes together at various flow volumes. My brother tried to explain it to me and the math just to get a start at it was frightening
smile.gif
I think in the end it would not matter for the consumer, as long as it meets the specifications of the original fitler.

As long as the total flow area of the holes in the base plate (and in the center tube holes or louvers) are equal to or grater than the total flow area of the filter's mounting spud flow hole, then there is nothing to worry about. I don't think I've ever seen a filter where the base plate or center tube has less flow area than the mounting spud hole.

I just like to see lots of holes. Makes me think it provides an overall better/easier flow. Its a "feel good" thing! LOL

I just like to see lots of holes. Makes me think it provides an overall better/easier flow. Its a "feel good" thing! LOL
At least you're being honest about the getting the warm fuzzies. However as noted, as long as total area of inlet holes at least equal to inner diameter area of engine block filter mounting stud, all that's necessary. Won't get any more flow with more inlet hole area. I'd have confidence with the linked Mann four hole design, and it is a design they have used for a long time.

Originally Posted by FordCapriDriver
Sadly my local Ford dealer seem to have run out of EFL90 oil filters for my 1975 Capri, so i am going to have to use something else.

What i noticed though when browsing oil filters is that they have different number of holes in them.

For example this Mann W916/1 has only four, https://www.amazon.com/Mann-Filter-916-Spin-Oil-Filter/dp/B001CUG71I

Meanwhile the Bosch has atleast twice as many https://www.amazon.es/dp/B00BHHT5D8...JFQ41&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

Does this matter at all? the original Motorcraft EFL90 would appear to have the same number of holes as the Bosch

I doubt it matters.

Originally Posted by tc1446
I just like to see lots of holes. Makes me think it provides an overall better/easier flow.

This to me just makes perfect sense in a physics viewpoint. That filter with only four holes just seems like it would be restrictive,giving the oil nowhere to flow vs one with many holes therefore being more free flowing.

Never thought about it . Never counted the holes on an oil filter .

I try to ask about a specific filter , here , before ordering 6 or 12 of them . And consider the cost .

Originally Posted by aquariuscsm
I just like to see lots of holes. Makes me think it provides an overall better/easier flow.

This to me just makes perfect sense in a physics viewpoint. That filter with only four holes just seems like it would be restrictive,giving the oil nowhere to flow vs one with many holes therefore being more free flowing.

From a physics viewpoint, the area of the holes is what matters.

My first thought was if you're looking at pictures of filters on websites, they often use (1) filter model as representative of their line so one size could have (4) holes while another in the same line might have (8) (larger filter, room for add'l holes). The one you linked at Amazon actually is the same 916/1.

This to me just makes perfect sense in a physics viewpoint. That filter with only four holes just seems like it would be restrictive, giving the oil nowhere to flow vs one with many holes therefore being more free flowing.

Positive displacement oil pump. The flow will be the same, but with a bit more restriction, it just means there's a bit more pump output pressure required. It might raise the pump output pressure a couple of PSI, which isn't going to make any real difference unless the pump is operating in pressure relief, which hardly ever happens unless the engine is being red lined with very thick cold oil.

It's not just that simple. Those (4) holes have a total area and I think it's the total area that matters. What if you had (8) holes ? More flow, you say ? Not necessarily. Make 8 smaller holes and the flow rate could be (almost) identical.

Originally Posted by kschachn
... From a physics viewpoint, the area of the holes is what matters.
That's not strictly true, but is a close enough rough approximation for present purposes.

There's numerous things that go into total flow, a lot of them are insignificant in practice. There's diameter, total area, depth of the plate material, direction the hole faces, shape, etc. Most, I assume, would be designed so the holes are not more restrictive than the filtering material itself.

Some may think more holes is better, or bigger holes is better. In actual use, as long as the holes are not the most restrictive part, it does not matter. There's also more factors to take into account than the hole size itself to determine optimal flow. Larger or smaller holes may help set the velocity of the fluid as it enters the filtering media, giving the media the best chance at filtering. There's also the output hole that should not be ignored. It's just not as simple as "larger [total area / holes / whatever] is better".

Originally Posted by shibby6600
There's numerous things that go into total flow, a lot of them are insignificant in practice. There's diameter, total area, depth of the plate material, direction the hole faces, shape, etc. Most, I assume, would be designed so the holes are not more restrictive than the filtering material itself. ...
Yes. Pretty much all those factors are insignificant when the flow rate is normally determined by a positive displacement pump's speed and displacement per revolution.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back