2019 Yamaha FX Cruiser HO

Hello all.

I just bought one and decided to change the oil and filter early at 5 hrs. They recommend 10 hrs but an early change before a long ride is what I was after. I'll do another change after it and swap to synthetic from the Yamalube 4W 10W-40 that is recommended.

I'm thinking of just going directly to the Amsoil 10W-40 Marine. Thoughts?

Located in FL

Last edited:
That is a good oil for the Waverunner. Check out your owners manual and see if a 15w40 is also acceptable- there are tons of good marine 4 stroke oils in that range.

My 2 Kawasaki STX skies aren't supercharged but they are 4 cylinder 4 strokes. I just run Mobil 1 Euro 0-40 in them. Your manual should tell you that several different weights of oil is acceptable depending on temp.

Some of the new ones have cats on them so pay attention to oil selection if that bothers you as some of the marine oils have higher levels of zinc because most boat engine don't have cats but live at high RPMs most of the time.

Originally Posted by rubberchicken
That is a good oil for the Waverunner. Check out your owners manual and see if a 15w40 is also acceptable- there are tons of good marine 4 stroke oils in that range.

It is acceptable. Which would you suggest?

Originally Posted by thastinger
My 2 Kawasaki STX skies aren't supercharged but they are 4 cylinder 4 strokes. I just run Mobil 1 Euro 0-40 in them. Your manual should tell you that several different weights of oil is acceptable depending on temp.

Some of the new ones have cats on them so pay attention to oil selection if that bothers you as some of the marine oils have higher levels of zinc because most boat engine don't have cats but live at high RPMs most of the time.

Funny you mention that, I seriously thought about that as I used to run that in my Porsche. I even thought about 15W-50 M1. Just not sure if the "Marine" spec really means anything. Does it? Does it really resist corrosion etc better than a M1 or similar? 5qt jug of M1 from Walmart is pretty hard to beat cost wise. I'm certainly not opposed to Amsoil as I really think it's great oil, just don't have a need to waste money however.

Originally Posted by Arctic388
AMSOIL Marine would be a great oil. Personally I am running Rotella T6 5w40 in my Seadoo GTI's and I have been an AMSOIL "dealer" since 2005. Rotella is a great oil for PWC's

I seriously thought about using that. My only hesitation is that a diesel engine doesn't have the high RPM that a gas engine and in this case our PWC will see. Cavitation is a serious concern, however, I'm sure any decent slippery stuff will work just fine.

Originally Posted by jtwrace
Originally Posted by thastinger

Funny you mention that, I seriously thought about that as I used to run that in my Porsche. I even thought about 15W-50 M1. Just not sure if the "Marine" spec really means anything. Does it? Does it really resist corrosion etc better than a M1 or similar? 5qt jug of M1 from Walmart is pretty hard to beat cost wise. I'm certainly not opposed to Amsoil as I really think it's great oil, just don't have a need to waste money however.

Everyone who owns one, and cares anything about it, changes the oil at the end of the season as part of the winterization process. I ran M1 15/50 in the years before 0-40 Euro was available, never had any oil related issues...they are both 04s.

I ran the Yamahlube for the first 10 hrs. Changed it both times at 5 hrs and it was black. Have Amsoil Marine in it now and with 18 hrs on the oil it's still clear. Amazing how good this stuff really is. And it has been seeing much higher sustained RPM's than the Yamahalube too.

You do realize you are only changing about 1/2 the oil on each change....right? You can only pull out about 2.3 qts out of the 4.5 available in the motor.

Originally Posted by philipp10
You do realize you are only changing about 1/2 the oil on each change....right? You can only pull out about 2.3 qts out of the 4.5 available in the motor.

I'm able to get a measured 3.8 qts out every time.

Originally Posted by jtwrace
Originally Posted by philipp10

I'm able to get a measured 3.8 qts out every time.

I may be mistaken. I will need to look into this as I am changing mine this fall.

I've been using Amsoil Marine 10W-40 with fine results. Waiting on the latest report back. At about 150 hrs per year though I'm thinking about switching to T6. So much easier to get (Walmart) and of course a lot less expensive. Just wonder about the sustained high RPM's with it.

I would reconsider your choices for oil, particularly in a PWC. I had a 2014 Yamaha FXHO until last summer. I put 110 hours total. In salt and fresh water.

Regarding your PWC, you are probably under a warranty from Yamaha. My guess is that its at least 2 years, if not up to 5. In that case, I would be using Yamalube 4W (not 4M). 4W is specifically designed for your machine. 4 quart jugs are routinely $26 delivered at amazon. That's the current price as I write this. Save all receipts for oil/ filter, etc and log all maintenance.

If you don't want to use Yamalube, check out which oils are NMMA certified:

NMMA FC-W Certified Oils

Amsoil and T6 are not there. In fact, I only see one specifically for PWCs: Kawasaki KPO Jetski Watercraft 10w40. There are loads of threads and reading about why to use NMMA certified oils. You have a very high revving engine in a highly corrosive environment. lots of additives not needed for our trucks and cars. For Yamalube, it' 4W for PWCs and 4M for 4 stroke outboards. Both are dino oil.

It gets easier once you are getting oil for a 4-stroke outboard. The above linked NMMA list has lots of choices and weights., I use Ecstar (Suzuki) for my outboards. It's a semi-synthetic. It's less than $30 at www.boats.net.

Last edited:
I'm tempted to use M1 0w-40. It meets the API SG, SH, SJ, SL requirements that are listed in the manual. So why not? Easily accessible and cost effective.

[Linked Image]

Back