Tundra not driven a lot. Add something?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all,
I don't post much. Just learn all I can by reading all the posts here. Quick question. I have a 2017 Tundra. It can sit from one to three months in the garage. I put 10% ethanol gas in it. Would it be beneficial to put Redline SL-1 in the gas tank at 1oz per 5 gallons? Or just don't worry about it.
Thank you

I'd put a fuel stabilizer in it at every fillup, and change the fluids as recommended in the owner's manual.

Remember, there's mileage and time, whichever comes first. You'll probably fall into the latter category.

Can you drive it on the highway once every few weeks? Or have someone drive it for you? That'd be more ideal.

I could have it driven once every couple weeks. I try to keep the gas low and put fresh when I take a long drive. Any stabilizer you would recommend?

Originally Posted by unoit
I could have it driven once every couple weeks. I try to keep the gas low and put fresh when I take a long drive. Any stabilizer you would recommend?
keep the tank full to prevent condensation. It needs to be driven enough to reach operating temps every month or so. I use Chevron Techron concentrate as a fuel stabilizer and you might consider using non ethanol fuel as well.

If you know it's gonna sit for an extended period maybe you could run out the e10 and put in straight gas? And/or I'd use a fuel stabilizer like Stabil 360 (something I'm going to begin doing this winter myself)

Last edited:
I have outdoor power equipment here is what I noticed. Regular is good for 1 month before separating and in Caravan it will stumble on first start if sitting for a couple of days. 89 octane in power equipment it will separate in 3 to 6 months depending upon if it has 2 stroke oil in it or not and Caravan has sat for 2 weeks with no stumble. Now on what I recommend is 89 octane full. I would add proper amount of Staybil 360 before the filling.

Last edited:
I think you should give me the Tundra, I will drive it as intended.
banana2.gif

Originally Posted by wallyuwl
I think you should give me the Tundra, I will drive it as intended.
banana2.gif

You're a thinker ðŸ‘

My vote is not to worry about it. 1-3 Months is nothing when it comes to a vehicle with a semi-closed fuel system. Fuel will not go bad at the same rate in a vehicle as it will in outdoor power equipment. OPE's, more often than not have carburetors with vents open to the atmosphere that will allow fuel to evaporate and the result is gummed up carburetors after only a couple months.

In my comparatively EXTREME example to ease your mind, my Camaro will sit from approximately November-April each year because of snow/salt with E85 in the tank, no additives either. Done this for several years now and as long as the fuel isn't open to the atmosphere some might be surprised how long it will last.

So, you're saying that you don't run the truck but once every 1-3 months. This is not saying that you run the tank of gas out in those ~3 months, correct?

How long does it actually take you to use up a tank full of gasoline?...6 months?

If so, then you may want to use some form of fuel stabilizer. Lots of folks like Marine Sta-Bil for this.

I wouldn't worry for three months. But if you must, just about any fuel stabilizer from a marine supply store will easily do the job.

Stabil would be fine. I used 2 stroke oil and coleman camp fuel in my boat last winterization.

Keep the tank full like the other poster said - keeps condensation out of the vented tank.

If you are adding fresh gas every few months, you probably won't have any fuel system problems. But you can add a stabilizer to be sure, they are cheap and effective.
As others said, I would be more concerned about other problems associated with a vehicle sitting for months between drives, on a regular basis. Rubber dries out and cracks (bushings, hoses, belts), moisture gets into fluids (oil, power steering, etc). I agree it would be good to take it for a highway blast at least once a month.

Your advise is greatly appreciated. Just one more question. I know it doesn't belong here, but didn't want to start a new thread. What would your advice be for the engine oil situation. I have been using Mobil 1 0-20W EP. I am currently averaging 8000 to 9000 miles a year. Would it be OK to just change my current go to oil just once a year?

I only drive my car every 500 miles a year. I usually put 3 fuel additives in it every year (the three in a 3 week period) then put one in six months after that. I also usually check the air filter once a year and clean it once a year. I have a 1992 Pontiac Bonneville and I really love that car so I really take care of it. I also try to rev the engine high rpm's once a month because I live in a small village where the speed limit in 25.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back