Vehicle storage: climate control or no?

Status
Not open for further replies.
It gets hot here in Arkansas. It's not even at its worse yet, currently seeing low 90s, not uncommon to see 115 during late July/early August.

Thinking about picking up a cheap beater just to run back and forth from work/grocery shopping to keep my Lexus out of this heat and off these roads full of potholes.

Found a few storage units offering a 10x15 unit w/o climate for $80-90 a month, w/ climate at $140-150.

Is it really necessary for climate control? It goes get hot here and humid, but the car will only sit for 2 weeks at most before I use it again.

IDK it's a car brotha. And not a collectible. Drive that vehicle to 300k and then turn it in for a new one. You have one go at life and saving a 14 IS 250? Na! Drive that B like you stole it. Save the storage for the next Lexus.

No. As long as it's kept out of sunlight, it will be fine. Does the storage unit have any ventilation ? Leave your car windows cracked a minimal amount or 'vent' the moonroof.

How much is a metal carport? Even if you're renting and the owner says it's ok I would think in a couple years it would at least pay for itself.

I too vote for driving it. There were some cars I took great pains to keep the salt away. I kept them a long time and put miles on them. In the end, all it meant is the next guy got a nice car. I certainly didn't get more money for it. Nobody is going to pay a lot of money for an older car with low miles that looks good. Though it will sell quick.

Originally Posted by Kestas
Nobody is going to pay a lot of money for an older car with low miles that looks good.

Depends on if it's in high demand or not.
A base model Lexus IS is probably not one of them.
OTOH a high end ISF has a much better chance.

Originally Posted by BISCUT
IDK it's a car brotha. And not a collectible. Drive that vehicle to 300k and then turn it in for a new one. You have one go at life and saving a 14 IS 250? Na! Drive that B like you stole it. Save the storage for the next Lexus.

lol I know it's just a basic car. My Subaru was just a car too. Purchased new, drove here for 1.5 years, and the roof rails, interior trim, dash all warped from heat. With the mileage I put on the bumper to bumper warranty expired by the time it got bad.

Originally Posted by Silverado12
How much is a metal carport? Even if you're renting and the owner says it's ok I would think in a couple years it would at least pay for itself.

I have a car port but the housemate ends up parking under it anyways. I have a tree for shade up until 12pm. Additional car ports aren't allowed.

I do keep the car waxed and frequently apply UV protectant on the plastics. But that doesn't stop bird droppings and the constant heat and plastic expansion

If it was a Duesenberg, or a Packard, a Ferrari, etc. then absolutely climate controlled.

But a late model base Lexus?

Why bother?

Seriously.

You spend $1,000/year, or heaven forbid, nearly double that, to keep this thing out of the sun, and at the end of a decade, your car will be worth what every other 2014 Lexus is worth. Perhaps a few hundred more. Tops.

But YOU will be worth at least $10,000 less.

Last edited:
I mostly agree with the other posts, between the cost of the second car and the storage, if you would save that money for a few years it would add up quite a bit to go towards your next car.
I don't follow my own advice though because I have a car and a truck. I'm maybe breaking even, but the car does get better than double mpg as the truck. And if one needs to be down for a while then it is a bit easier.

Originally Posted by Dadillac
A 2014 Lexus IS250 is 15 feet 4 inches long. It will not fit into a 10x15. Just sayin'

Don

That plus those are typically nominal dimensions - usually less.

Have you checked the rules? Most storage places will not allow cars, even without gas in them. There are dedicated car storage places, but they cost even more if you can find one.

Originally Posted by Astro14
If it was a Duesenberg, or a Packard, a Ferrari, etc. then absolutely climate controlled.

Why bother?

Seriously.

You spend $1,000/year, or heaven forbid, nearly double that, to keep this thing out of the sun, and at the end of a decade, your car will be worth what every other 2014 Lexus is worth. Perhaps a few hundred more. Tops.

I couldn't have said it better.

Hands down, drive the wheels off of it. What a waste of money buying a nice car just to be miserable driving a junker to "keep the miles off of it".

Factor in $150 a month for climate control and then the purchase price of your new beater, plus insurance, maintenance, registration, repairs, etc. and you might as well just have the one car and enjoy it.

Off the main subject , but dont worry about getting a lexus yet . Main goal is get a house with a garage . Get a lexus when you can afford one . Dont put tje cart in front of the horse ( HOUSE )

Ive owned some classic and desirable cars in the past and present. I drive them whenever I can. Forget about the mileage. Not putting miles on your car to save it is like not getting intimate with your girlfriend to save her for the next guy.

Originally Posted by Kjmack
Off the main subject , but dont worry about getting a lexus yet . Main goal is get a house with a garage . Get a lexus when you can afford one . Dont put tje cart in front of the horse ( HOUSE )

I have a house back in NY and that's when my cars are always garaged. But with my current work/living situation(in Arkansas) I just have a tree to park under (I'll be moving back to NY in a year)

Why bother?

Seriously.

It's a IS250 F sport, near fully loaded lol. But the whole no garage situation is the reason I didn't bring my Maserati down and brought the Lexus instead.

Now that you put it that way, it makes no sense to "preserve" a generic car. But still hurts to see my perfectly good car go to sh*t from being baked in the sun. Saw that first hand with the Subaru that I purchased new.

Originally Posted by avacado11

I have a house back in NY and that's when my cars are always garaged. But with my current work/living situation(in Arkansas) I just have a tree to park under (I'll be moving back to NY in a year)

Why bother?

Seriously.

It's a IS250 F sport, near fully loaded lol. But the whole no garage situation is the reason I didn't bring my Maserati down and brought the Lexus instead.

Now that you put it that way, it makes no sense to "preserve" a generic car. But still hurts to see my perfectly good car go to sh*t from being baked in the sun. Saw that first hand with the Subaru that I purchased new.

If the sun made your Subaru have issues, then that's all Subaru's fault.

The interior on all my cars is fine, and they've been parked out in the sun their whole lives. And I'm sorry but the sun in Arkansas isn't even on the charts compared to Phoenix.

Originally Posted by avacado11

Why bother?

Seriously.

It pains me too, honestly. I wax my cars, cover my Mercedes, and do my best because my one car garage is full of tools. The Packard is stored inside. But not at the house. Different situation than cars that are driven.

It makes no sense to pay that much for storage, though. Save the money. They all depreciate anyway.

Believe me, if I had a big enough garage, they would ALL be garaged!

Friend's father moved into a long house where the entire house footprint had a basement.

Split in half (longwise) and you could put 3 cars nose to tail inside...easily and comfortably.

The other half was used as a basement.

Simply perfect in my opinion.

I suppose a separate structure-with a lift-for fueled vehicles would be "better".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back