Average vehicle age sets a record at 11.8 years old

Status
Not open for further replies.
How about they're better made than in the past and they just last longer. No need to send the car to the crusher if it's still running.

Cars are made so much better now and are a lot more of an investment (because of everything they have with them). I remember when I started driving, 100k miles was the understood life span of a vehicle. I think reasonable expectations these days are 200k as an average. I'm expecting my highest mileage vehicle to well exceed 200k and the climate here (temps, road conditions, salt) is really hard on the vehicles.

I roll around in a 2007 MDX with 190k miles mainly because its paid for, worthless used(rust), beyond reliable and cheap to own(besides gas).

I feel its at end my ownership period so once past 200k(~2 years) I hope to move on. Stashing a pretend car payment of $400/month away.

The average age of our 3 cars is 14.6. The last new car we bought was our '12 Passat and I doubt we will ever buy a "new" car again. The Passat has to hit 200k before we consider replacing it. The 4Runner is closing in on 200k but with the addition of my Civic as my new daily driver, I expect the 4Runner will be around for a long time to come. The next car will probably be something to replace the aging Civic once it starts showing its age.

These days, I'm pretty impressed with what $10k can buy, which makes me think we will likely never finance another car. I can't stomach $400-$500 a month for 5+ years these days. I must be getting old...

Originally Posted by CARJ

I can't stomach $400-$500 a month for 5+ years these days. I must be getting old...

I'm on the same boat. I drive my daily around so much and actually enjoy it despite being slow. I average around 16K a year and besides what I've done to maintain and keep the car running (oil/trans fluid changes, 2 batteries, 1 set of free tires I won in a raffle and one new set of rotors and pads), overall it has been a solid car I don't see replacing unless i hit over 200-250K plus.

I've personally set a cap of no more than $300 max for a car payment should it come to that, and most new cars that you can get for less than $300/month are better than cars for the same price 10-15 years ago.

My fleet average is 12.6 years; although I'm starting to get an itch for something faster than the 2er...

16 year average here. The wife's 2000 is due for replacement though here in the next couple years. Not because it has mechanical issues, she just needs a little more space and I would like something to haul a small trailer with.

I have three cars. The newest one is 18 years old. That's my contribution to keeping the average high.

I remember the time where a 10 year old car was considered vintage and nearly a classic.

My 2 vehicle average age is 34.5 years (summer driver 34 years old and winter beater is 35). Household average is 25 when my girlfriend's 2013 Hyundai pulls the average up.

Originally Posted by Wolf359
How about they're better made than in the past and they just last longer. No need to send the car to the crusher if it's still running.

Funny

Originally Posted by Wolf359

^^This!
Cars of the past twenty five years or so are for the most part really trouble free and remarkably free of rust for the first couple of hundred thousand miles and 12+ years even here in the southern rust belt.
We've had cars that long with few if any really costly problems.
The occasional clutch and the occasional timing belt, but nothing out of the ordinary.
Yeah but what about all them computers? Bet they's big bucks.
Don't know since I've never had to replace a single one in anything going back to our '81 Vanagon, our first ride that had such a thing.

as vehicles are becoming even more way overpriced, especially 4WD pickups where preowned prices are nuts as well many can't afford or want a new ride. for me the unproven problematic technology is another reason + at least gently preowned can save thousands! the more you spend the more you loose $$$ ok if you got the bucks but many average people do NOT!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back