What was Toyota thinking with the plastic filter housing?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've changed oil myself on multiple cars for the past 18+ years and I've never fussed with a filter like I just did with a friend's 2013 corolla. Yes we had the proper tool to remove it as well. It just kept getting pinched between the filter housing and the engine block. Plus, even after loosening the housing, it still requires a ratchet to fully remove. You can't just unscrew with your hand. What a joke. It probably made a 15 minute oil change 30+ minutes.

Thats one reason that would make me think twice before getting a toyota. Its just extra things you have to do that complicates what is essentially a simple thing to do.Plus you need that special filter wrench too.

But in all honesty, what I do want that Toyota (and some newer Fords, as well as the Mitsubishi Eclipse Cross) have been doing is incorporating port fuel injection alongside their DI engines. It's their D4S family if Im not mistaken.

So i guess if it came to it, I probably could live with the hassle of changing the oil on a toyota if that means I don't have to worry about the eventual gunk I'd have to clean in the intake valves.

When the new Camry was redesigned they went back to the metal oil filter unlike the previous gen that had the plastic filter housing. The Corolla was recently redesigned so they may have changed it back hopefully.

You get faster at it the more of them you do. I've done 3 now on our 2017 Rav4. It really doesn't take any longer on this engine compared to spin on filters. Maybe the Corolla has less room? There are a few more steps, but it's no big deal.

I put the drain hose on the filter first and start that and then move on to the oil pan drain plug. That way, I'm letting both drain at the same time.

I can usually remove the filter while I'm waiting for the crankcase to drain and get it sorted.

I don't really notice it taking all that much longer in my application. It just takes some thought on how to approach the task so sub-tasks are overlapping. I.E. draining the filter and the crankcase at the same time, and so on.

Originally Posted by jayjr1105
I've changed oil myself on multiple cars for the past 18+ years and I've never fussed with a filter like I just did with a friend's 2013 corolla. Yes we had the proper tool to remove it as well. It just kept getting pinched between the filter housing and the engine block. Plus, even after loosening the housing, it still requires a ratchet to fully remove. You can't just unscrew with your hand. What a joke. It probably made a 15 minute oil change 30+ minutes.

Originally Posted by SatinSilver
When the new Camry was redesigned they went back to the metal oil filter unlike the previous gen that had the plastic filter housing. The Corolla was recently redesigned so they may have changed it back hopefully.

Yes, new 2019 Corollas have spin on filter.

Most oil filter tools I have seen won't work on the 1.8L engine because there is not enough room between the filter and block.

lol.gif
50.gif

The purpose is to make it difficult for an average person with a some mechanical literacy to do their own maintenance. The manufacturers have no bearings and no incentives to make it easier for the consumers. They have incentives to make things more reliable to compete with each other.

IMO it's an attempt by Toyota to reduce waste while keeping control of bypass setting INside the engine rather than relying on a filter manufacturer. All well and good.

BUT...their placement absolutely rots...there is a skidplate on the 4Runner that's got to be removed for access, as well as a separate plate to unbolt to access the drain plug. It does get easier with practice, but is still a pain below the neck. Why O why Toyota didn't put the filter on top a-la Pentastar I'll never know.

OP, maybe start using Amsoil and do yearly changes...
27.gif

On my 2012 Corolla it was a pain at first now I've done it so many times I'm used to it. I tried a couple different end cap tools off amazon and settled on one I liked. I like the fact the housing has a couple of holes to let the oil drain out while unscrewing it before taking it off completely. The first time getting it off was a nightmare (dealer) now it's easy. I was told toyota switched back to the standard filters half way through the 2014 model year so some models of that year can have either one. There are aftermarket adapters to change the plastic housing area into a regular oil filter spin on. Toyota went to plastic housing for environmental reasons I was told, then went back because of complaints. I'm sure there has been a few engines lost.

Not saying it's terribly difficult but it takes what, 30 seconds to spin off a used filter, oil the gasket and spin on the new one?

You have to ratchet the whole time (not just crack it loose), take it off, remove the filter and o ring, install the new filter and o ring, then ratchet the whole thing back on since hand spinning is impossible. No it's not rebuilding an engine but compared to the 30 seconds it takes for a traditional filter, it's a PITA, just my .02

I did a friend's 2009 Corolla that she bought 2nd hand. With the correct tool, I could not get the dang thing off.
I was afraid to pry harder and crack the housing.
She took it to the dealer.

I don't like 'em, but if installed correctly it should not be a big deal.
I used to work at a gas station in around 1970; I serviced a million GM canister oil filters.

Originally Posted by JLTD
IMO it's an attempt by Toyota to reduce waste while keeping control of bypass setting INside the engine rather than relying on a filter manufacturer. All well and good.

When the filter bypass valve is built into the engine (like so many older GM engines are), you have to ensure the filter used doesn't have a lot delta-p from flow restriction (ie, needs to be the same or less than the OEM filter), or the built-in bypass valve could be opening way more than it should. With spin-on oil filters the bypass valve can be set to account for any added flow restriction from the oil filter to ensure bypass events are low or not existent under normal operating conditions.

www.bpadapters.com If you want to switch a canister filter back to a regular set up. I was doing some research and found this company called Baxter, the odd thing was it turned out the company was literally 90 min. from my house.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by jayjr1105

Can you explain how the tool is getting pinched between the housing and block? I will agree it's more difficult to change this cartridge(the cartridge in my 6.0 powerstroke was a dream to replace) vs a spin on but it's not that bad. You do get a good chance to look at the media before and after use. I did forget to install the new cartridge one time and simply screwed on the housing. Started the car and checked for leaks too.
33.gif

The cap for the filter housing is like $10-15, shipped from Amazon. Not really a big deal. I never remove filter by hand, always with a cap of some sort.

Well if you own a toyota, plan on buying the tool to take it apart.

Literally takes two minutes. I owned a bunch of RAV4's, and Matrix, and Corolla.

I used the cap tool with a half inch breaker bar to take it off, very simple. Then I just snugged it up, never tighten it with the breaker of course.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back