Recent Topics
Las Vegas Motor Speedway
by Warstud - 09/15/19 05:02 PM
Toro snowblower issue - what to look for?
by Touring5 - 09/15/19 04:24 PM
Burris Fast Fire 3 or Vortex
by FA_WRX - 09/15/19 04:11 PM
Underrated musicians
by Aichiguy - 09/15/19 03:58 PM
PEAK Conventional & Synthetic 10W-30 Noack
by wemay - 09/15/19 02:25 PM
Replaced front shocks
by barkingspider - 09/15/19 02:23 PM
Nexus Trusted Traveler Card - for USA/Canada Travel
by Snagglefoot - 09/15/19 02:11 PM
How to kill single tree only without harming others?
by Ed_Flecko - 09/15/19 02:10 PM
Cleaning difficult carpet stains
by Snagglefoot - 09/15/19 01:56 PM
A con a week
by Yah-Tah-Hey - 09/15/19 01:54 PM
PURPLE POWER does CLEAN
by 53' Stude - 09/15/19 01:37 PM
Why does being angry makes my driving more precise?
by wheelman1991 - 09/15/19 01:33 PM
Help me rest my mind guys PLEASE .
by MetalSlug - 09/15/19 01:18 PM
Is there such a thing as unlimited mile lease ?
by Mr Nice - 09/15/19 12:43 PM
Do not buy !
by P10crew - 09/15/19 12:34 PM
Who has gone Mobil 1?
by Red91 - 09/15/19 12:30 PM
It's a sickness
by A310 - 09/15/19 12:22 PM
Walmart Castrol Rollback
by JohnnyJohnson - 09/15/19 11:32 AM
Newest Members
KevATL, DragSGT, Gbenitez, DoctorPc, FarmerDan
69277 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
82 registered members (53' Stude, Aichiguy, AnthemBassMan, andyd, ABomb369, 69GTX, 7 invisible), 2,213 guests, and 18 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums67
Topics294,590
Posts5,062,931
Members69,277
Most Online3,532
Jul 30th, 2019
Donate to BITOG
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: Why is Mobil 1 ESP Formula is not SN PLUS? [Re: edyvw] #5143403 06/25/19 06:23 AM
V
Virtus_Probi Offline
V
Originally Posted by edyvw

Yep, I think you have a point here.
In my VW Tiguan, as soon as power is needed it shifts 1 or two gears down. But then, my Tiguan for its size has truly abysmal mpg. Partly it is some weird programing of Aisin 6-speed. But no doubt it will downshift and slightest need of power.

Sounds like your Tiguan is optimized more for a fun driving experience than mileage, which I would expect from a VW. I'm glad I have the paddles to stab at to make my FXT more fun.
I think that the FXT would downshift more readily on its own if I used S# mode, in which the CVT pretends it is an 8 speed conventional auto tranny...but the car is so herky-jerky in that mode that I never use it anymore.
I have been told that S# is great for windy mountain roads, but it is very rare for me find such a road where I can really cut loose. The highway from the interstate to my ski place is mostly a straight shot, usually has traffic, and always has small town cops hiding in speed traps waiting to make a profit on impatient Boston and Providence drivers... ;^)

2014 Forester XT, 105000 miles
Last Change;
PP 5w30 d1G2
Tokyo Roki 15208AA170 filter
Re: Why is Mobil 1 ESP Formula is not SN PLUS? [Re: Virtus_Probi] #5144212 06/26/19 12:59 AM
E
edyvw Offline
E
Originally Posted by Virtus_Probi

Yep, I think you have a point here.
In my VW Tiguan, as soon as power is needed it shifts 1 or two gears down. But then, my Tiguan for its size has truly abysmal mpg. Partly it is some weird programing of Aisin 6-speed. But no doubt it will downshift and slightest need of power.

Sounds like your Tiguan is optimized more for a fun driving experience than mileage, which I would expect from a VW. I'm glad I have the paddles to stab at to make my FXT more fun.
I think that the FXT would downshift more readily on its own if I used S# mode, in which the CVT pretends it is an 8 speed conventional auto tranny...but the car is so herky-jerky in that mode that I never use it anymore.
I have been told that S# is great for windy mountain roads, but it is very rare for me find such a road where I can really cut loose. The highway from the interstate to my ski place is mostly a straight shot, usually has traffic, and always has small town cops hiding in speed traps waiting to make a profit on impatient Boston and Providence drivers... ;^)

Tiguan is pretty nice to drive, I mean it is CUV, so "fun" part is in the eye of beholder, but my wife loves it. I on other hand am stuck with SIenna at least until next year when I plan to get myself BMW or Audi with stick. I have curvy road to ski resort, some 142 miles, great drive, but since I got Toyota, I am avoiding it. Did twice during snow storms as interstate becomes pile up of tourists with SUV's, and it is seriously challenging not to burn a car after driving it on such road.

15' Toyota Sienna AWD (Mobil1 5W30 EP+OEM filter).
11' VW Tiguan 2.0T (Castrol 0W40+MANN filter)
Re: Why is Mobil 1 ESP Formula is not SN PLUS? [Re: edyvw] #5144380 06/26/19 08:13 AM
E
Env1ous Offline
E

Tiguan is pretty nice to drive, I mean it is CUV, so "fun" part is in the eye of beholder, but my wife loves it. I on other hand am stuck with SIenna at least until next year when I plan to get myself BMW or Audi with stick. I have curvy road to ski resort, some 142 miles, great drive, but since I got Toyota, I am avoiding it. Did twice during snow storms as interstate becomes pile up of tourists with SUV's, and it is seriously challenging not to burn a car after driving it on such road.

Were you headed up I70? I wont touch that highway at that time of year. Everyone wants to rush to the resorts and no one has the tires for it.

Re: Why is Mobil 1 ESP Formula is not SN PLUS? [Re: Virtus_Probi] #5145015 06/26/19 07:22 PM
S
SR5 Offline
S
...I was happy to find M1 10W30 HM is now SN+ as well as HTHS=3.5

Yes M1 10W30 HM is a great oil, it's Euro ACEA A3/B3 as well as API SN Plus.

A 10Wx oil is good down to 0F (-18c), in fact the J300 cold pumping test is done at -30C (-22F).

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Castrol Edge 10W30 A5/B5 + Wesfil-Cooper Z154
Re: Why is Mobil 1 ESP Formula is not SN PLUS? [Re: Env1ous] #5145229 06/27/19 01:52 AM
E
edyvw Offline
E
Originally Posted by Env1ous

Were you headed up I70? I wont touch that highway at that time of year. Everyone wants to rush to the resorts and no one has the tires for it.

Now that I have Toyota, yes I go I70 to A-Basin, twice a week. But I have very flexible job, so I can afford skiing Monday and usually Wednesday. So not bad traffic. Now, if it snows, I take HWY 24 through South park, Breckenridge to A-Basin (I now ski only at A-Basin).
But yes, I70 is a massacre if it snows.

Last edited by edyvw; 06/27/19 01:53 AM.

Re: Why is Mobil 1 ESP Formula is not SN PLUS? [Re: edyvw] #5145325 06/27/19 07:13 AM
V
Virtus_Probi Offline
V

Now that I have Toyota, yes I go I70 to A-Basin, twice a week. But I have very flexible job, so I can afford skiing Monday and usually Wednesday. So not bad traffic. Now, if it snows, I take HWY 24 through South park, Breckenridge to A-Basin (I now ski only at A-Basin).

Only skied at A-Basin once and it was quite an adventure!
Pretty impressive blizzard as we were heading there and signs kept warning that some pass up ahead was closed...I had no idea if the resort was before or after the pass.
Luckily it was just before the pass, but visibility was so poor that I could barely even figure out where to park!
Took a lift that went maybe midway up the mountain or a little higher and I just plain could not find my maybe 13 year old daughter right after we skied off the chair due to the heavy snow and wind...once I tracked her down, we agreed to stay lower on the mountain.
We spent the day in the trees down low where we could see each other and had lots of fun...our passes were comped, so we didn't feel like we had wasted money even though we missed the bowls.
A-Basin is one place we skied where I feel like I came away not knowing very much about the mountain...IIRC we headed off to a Denver area hotel that night and back to Boston the next morning.
First day at Vail was similar, mostly skied the back bowls in a blizzard and never really knew quite where we were. The next day was bluebird skies and a huge crowd showed up and made beelines for the bowls, it was so tough to get back there that we just stayed on the frontside and had an absolutely wonderful day feeling like we owned the place.

Last Change;
PP 5w30 d1G2
Re: Why is Mobil 1 ESP Formula is not SN PLUS? [Re: Virtus_Probi] #5145521 06/27/19 11:34 AM
E
edyvw Offline
E

Only skied at A-Basin once and it was quite an adventure!
Pretty impressive blizzard as we were heading there and signs kept warning that some pass up ahead was closed...I had no idea if the resort was before or after the pass.
Luckily it was just before the pass, but visibility was so poor that I could barely even figure out where to park!
Took a lift that went maybe midway up the mountain or a little higher and I just plain could not find my maybe 13 year old daughter right after we skied off the chair due to the heavy snow and wind...once I tracked her down, we agreed to stay lower on the mountain.
We spent the day in the trees down low where we could see each other and had lots of fun...our passes were comped, so we didn't feel like we had wasted money even though we missed the bowls.
A-Basin is one place we skied where I feel like I came away not knowing very much about the mountain...IIRC we headed off to a Denver area hotel that night and back to Boston the next morning.
First day at Vail was similar, mostly skied the back bowls in a blizzard and never really knew quite where we were. The next day was bluebird skies and a huge crowd showed up and made beelines for the bowls, it was so tough to get back there that we just stayed on the frontside and had an absolutely wonderful day feeling like we owned the place.

So, if you came from Keystone you hit A-Basin before Loveland Pass. That thing is beautiful drive, but in blizzard can be serious challenge without serious snow tires. Not to mention 2000ft drop on other side, so you can literally land on I-70.
A-Basin is challenging mountain. I learned hard way this March. And it's not like I did something stupid on EX terrain. It was blizzard and I love skiing in that weather. Went all the way up, did not see drop and lost balance, recovered, BUT, left ski caught deep snow, and since I did not have speed, ski stayed on. Pulled my left leg, twisted it. My knee still buckles back, and suffice to say, did not ski since then. They will do MRI next month. They thought it would heal itself as it seems that ligaments are not ACL, but that is what happens when "smart" idea is mixed with low visibility.

Re: Why is Mobil 1 ESP Formula is not SN PLUS? [Re: edyvw] #5145546 06/27/19 11:58 AM
V
Virtus_Probi Offline
V

So, if you came from Keystone you hit A-Basin before Loveland Pass. That thing is beautiful drive, but in blizzard can be serious challenge without serious snow tires. Not to mention 2000ft drop on other side, so you can literally land on I-70.
A-Basin is challenging mountain. I learned hard way this March. And it's not like I did something stupid on EX terrain. It was blizzard and I love skiing in that weather. Went all the way up, did not see drop and lost balance, recovered, BUT, left ski caught deep snow, and since I did not have speed, ski stayed on. Pulled my left leg, twisted it. My knee still buckles back, and suffice to say, did not ski since then. They will do MRI next month. They thought it would heal itself as it seems that ligaments are not ACL, but that is what happens when "smart" idea is mixed with low visibility.

First of all, I'm very sorry to hear about your knee...hoping for the best there for you. I hurt my right knee doing leg press about two weeks before our last ski season started and was really worried about missing the season for maybe a week after that...ended up that the biggest problem was taking my boot off on that leg until maybe February, puling down on my foot was quite painful. My doc looked at it during a physical last week and said it was likely a partially torn meniscus, I elected to not go ahead with scans at this point.
I definitely know what you mean about getting a ski caught in deep snow without any speed, doesn't happen to me a lot in New England but it is a scary feeling.

You nailed it, we did ski at Keystone (great day) and stayed in that area before heading over to A-Basin. I wish we could have explored A-Basin more, the young lady who comped our passes told us we just had to see the bowls but it seemed like a terrible idea with near zero visibility on terrain we weren't familiar with...plus I don't know how I could have possibly explained to my wife that I made our early teen daughter ski hairy terrain when we couldn't see if something had happened.

Hope you heal up soon!

Last Change;
PP 5w30 d1G2
Re: Why is Mobil 1 ESP Formula is not SN PLUS? [Re: Virtus_Probi] #5146083 06/28/19 01:12 AM
E
edyvw Offline
E

First of all, I'm very sorry to hear about your knee...hoping for the best there for you. I hurt my right knee doing leg press about two weeks before our last ski season started and was really worried about missing the season for maybe a week after that...ended up that the biggest problem was taking my boot off on that leg until maybe February, puling down on my foot was quite painful. My doc looked at it during a physical last week and said it was likely a partially torn meniscus, I elected to not go ahead with scans at this point.
I definitely know what you mean about getting a ski caught in deep snow without any speed, doesn't happen to me a lot in New England but it is a scary feeling.

You nailed it, we did ski at Keystone (great day) and stayed in that area before heading over to A-Basin. I wish we could have explored A-Basin more, the young lady who comped our passes told us we just had to see the bowls but it seemed like a terrible idea with near zero visibility on terrain we weren't familiar with...plus I don't know how I could have possibly explained to my wife that I made our early teen daughter ski hairy terrain when we couldn't see if something had happened.

Hope you heal up soon!

Problem with Keystone is that it is black hole of Summit county.
Breckenridge will get foot of snow, A-Basin foot, and Keystone, although it is in the middle, will get an inch.
Though, Keystone has best night skiing in North America, but snow wise, A-Basin is way to go, plus they have best Bison Bratwurst you will ever have smile

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

BOB IS THE OIL GUY® Powered by UBB.threads™