M1 ESP Formula 0W40 (7600 km run for an 18 VW Golf R)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Four consecutive UOAs for this 2018 Golf R

Earliest UOA (applicable right column) of CASTROL 0W40 (Applicable certificaton is 502)

Next column corresponds to the UOA of FUCHS TITAN GT1 5W30 (502 and dexos2)

Column to the immediate right of the Unit/Location Averages is for Pennzoil Platinum EURO LX 0W30 (504)

And finally the applicable left column is for M1 ESP Formula 0W40 ("Vette" OIL) (dexos2 is the only builder approval)

(ALL DISTANCES are in KILOMETRES)

(M1 ESP Formula 0W40 was replaced with M1 ESP X1 0W30 )

Blackstone Report for M1 0W40 from March 2019 to June 2019.PNG

Last edited:
At 1st look the M1 did really well, except the PP had the toughest (imo) operating conditions being run through a very tough Ontario winter.
The Castrol run had some break-in flushing to do, and looks really stout.
Any one of these is a winner.

Originally Posted by Danno
except the PP had the toughest (imo) operating conditions being run through a very tough Ontario winter.

Good to notice this....January to March was a really tough in terms of cold in Ontario.

One thing i have noticed about Castrol 0w40 is the calcium varies wildly on every UOA from 1700ppm to 3200 ppm .

Originally Posted by Kjmack
One thing i have noticed about Castrol 0w40 is the calcium varies wildly on every UOA from 1700ppm to 3200 ppm .

Usa have the belgium version and Canada have the German version. Looks like two diffrent versions/formula with same approvals and spec

Originally Posted by Bjornviken

Usa have the belgium version and Canada have the German version. Looks like two diffrent versions/formula with same approvals and spec

Or they are two version in US

Nice slug of moly in that M1, All oils seemed to do OK though. Given your low mileage, UOA's aren't telling much. I'd wait until it gets up there and begin testing again so all break in metals are flushed and true wear patterns develop.

Originally Posted by racin4ds
Given your low mileage, UOA's aren't telling much. I'd wait until it gets up there and begin testing again so all break in metals are flushed and true wear patterns develop.

If you are referring to the overall mileage on the car, I am thinking that now at 20k miles "break in" has been completed and although the most recent OCI is only about 4700 miles I can't see the iron going below...say...that 8 shown in the latest UOA
21.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Bjornviken

It looks like the German version is disappearing off the shelves here now and the Belgian version is replacing it. They are probably almost identical in quality though, they still have most of the same builder approvals other than the outdated BMW LL01.

[Linked Image]

This is a UOA from my 2015 S3 before I sold it. This fill was of Castrol 0w40. Appears very different then what you used. Not sure if this was the German or Belgium version as it was back from 2016.

I will say your motor seems to be wearing much better then mine was. It was my wife's car and I think she was guilty of getting on it before it was fully warmed up hence the elevated Iron.

The 4 analysis you posted are interesting as all oils are vastly different from one another in both weights and make up but all delivered excellent results. Goes to show you really cant tell too much from a VOA really as there is more to the story then what can be seen. The Fuchs looks especially boring yet it delivered great results.

Originally Posted by Vigg

This is a UOA from my 2015 S3 before I sold it.

The 4 analysis you posted are interesting as all oils are vastly different from one another in both weights and make up but all delivered excellent results. Goes to show you really cant tell too much from a VOA really as there is more to the story then what can be seen. The Fuchs looks especially boring yet it delivered great results.

Thanks "Vigg" for posting the UOA. (Actually your iron for over 5500 miles doesn't look too bad)

You are right in that the FUCHS TITAN GT1 PRO FLEX SAE 5W-30 does look like an excellent oil in this application.

I actually have the 504 rated FUCHS TITAN GT1 PRO C-3 SAE 5W-30 in my stash which I will use sometime this November. We will see how it compares to the PP EURO LX 0W30 which I ran all last winter.

Originally Posted by 21Rouge

This is a UOA from my 2015 S3 before I sold it.

Thanks "Vigg" for posting the UOA. (Actually your iron for over 5500 miles doesn't look too bad)

You are right in that the FUCHS TITAN GT1 PRO FLEX SAE 5W-30 does look like an excellent oil in this application.

I actually have the 504 rated FUCHS TITAN GT1 PRO C-3 SAE 5W-30 in my stash which I will use sometime this November. We will see how it compares to the PP EURO LX 0W30 which I ran all last winter.

No problem! While I agree 25 ppm of Iron at the 5500 mile mark isn't alarming I'd certainly be happier with your numbers.

I now have a S4 which calls for the 508 spec 0W20 oil. I did a UOA on the factory fill which doesn't tell you much. I just sent in a second sample so waiting to see how that one looks.

There is a document that I found online that's a "training" document that says the EA839 oil system is "rated for specification 0W20 and VW50400 engine oil".

All other literature for this motor from the owners manual to under the hood says "50800 ONLY" so not sure what to really think.

I would like to run 504 as its clearly a better oil compared to 508 but don't want to run into any warranty issues if something was to happen...…..

Interesting how the current versions of M1 0W-40 are universally a 30 grade oil in service and this "Vette" version is no exception. Of course with a virgin KV100 if just 12.9 cSt it only takes 2.5% shear to slip out of grade.

Doug, with the conservative way you use the car; i.e , no track days or high speed driving, I'm willing to bet the cheapest house brand API GP lI based 5W-30 would generate similar wear numbers over 7,500 kms.
Since your car has an oil temp gauge it would be worth noting the maximum oil temp's during an OCI.
This would give a rough indication of the minimum operational viscosity.

I now have a S4 which calls for the 508 spec 0W20 oil.

So I would surmise that the 2019 VW R would also call for the same 508 spec oil.

So I would surmise that the 2019 VW R would also call for the same 508 spec oil.

No, the 2019 is the same engine as the 2018, so it calls for 504/507 0W30.

Originally Posted by JOD

No, the 2019 is the same engine as the 2018, so it calls for 504/507 0W30.

I kinda knew that but I am just surprised that Audi specs the 0W20 for the V6 3 litre S4
21.gif

Originally Posted by JOD
I guess the Pennzoil you used is readily available in Canada? Can't really find it down here

Are you referring to PP EURO LX 0W30? If so, then yes it is readily available in Canada.

Originally Posted by JOD
this looks hard to beat: https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/MOR...rEcyyO-7Ediw9TaIo-B4g-KPW2YaAlw-EALw_wcB

FWIW I am waiting on the results of a UOA for a 5100 mile run of the M1 ESP 0W30 (in a Golf R).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back