Insect / Ant Killer

Status
Not open for further replies.
I got Big Black Ants coming into the house so I just picked up some liquid Ortho Insect killer to spray around the foundation. I think there coming in from under the siding. Is there a best time of the day to spray ?

I use Bifen I/T to spray the foundation around the house as well as the porch and the door. I also spot spray any wasp nests etc. I encounter. Works amazing and lasts about a month during summer. Doesn't stain anything I spray it on as well.
I use a 3M spray painting mask when spraying.

Two of my neighbors were paying a "pro" (about $30/month each) to come and spray their houses about once a month and they still had insects in their house. One of them had a wasp nest around their garage door about a week after the guy supposedly sprayed the house. I came over with Bifen, sprayed the nest and no more wasps. Needless to say, they cancelled the service, bought Bifen and are DIYing the spraying themselves.

Last edited:
Do you have any overhanging tree limbs? Get rid of them. Works better than poison.
grin2.gif

Originally Posted by Warstud
I got Big Black Ants coming into the house so I just picked up some liquid Ortho Insect killer to spray around the foundation. I think there coming in from under the siding. Is there a best time of the day to spray ?

The big black ants are probably carpenter ants that like damp wood. If you can see where they are coming in Borax powder works. Since carpenter ants are very destructive a pro might be the way to go.

Could be carpenter ants. I had them in my old house. They will leave frass, looks like sawdust. They are destructive. They like moisture.

Time of day depends on where you live. In hot SoCal best time is early evening, because they hide from the sun and heat. They're very active close to sunset, onwards until it gets cold and they get sluggish.

Ortho "bug b gone max" liquid. A couple of tablespoons per gallon in my pump sprayer is enough for the perimeter of my house, foundation vents, and around windows and doors. Works great and costs pennies per application. I've been using from the same 16oz bottle for several years and still have 3/4's left. I usually spray in the morning but don't know if it really matters.

I use Talstar P (Bifenthrin 7.9%) in my Stihl fogger and it works great for skeeters, ants, and ticks. Yup- domyown site is great.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back