[Linked Image]

Holy smokes.. you gotta be laughing all the way to the bank w/that mpg! ðŸ‘

Originally Posted by 14Accent
Originally Posted by atikovi
Heck, I got all you beat.

[Linked Image]

Well, if Hybrid's count...

[Linked Image]

I don't know. I assume you don't get free electricity so it's hard to calculate total fuel costs. And while the Volt is great for local driving, after about 40 miles when the battery is drained, actual MPG drops to the 40's.

Lifetime average on my prior VW TDi was 46mpg. I saw 53 once by using some hypermiling tricks (65mph max, lots of coasting to stops) but was more impressed with the 850+ miles on that tank of fuel. What was more impressive was that was during winter and on snow tires too. It usually did better in winter, I guess cold dense air and no a/c usage.

Yesterday I got 14mpg over a 57mile trip. I thought that was decent--I was towing my 6x14 enclosed trailer down the highway and back. No weight in it but it's a parachute all the same. Just slightly taller than my truck. Kept it to 60mph.

One year I took a small popup camper on a trip to DC and managed 19mpg with my truck (EPA estimate no less) by again keeping my speed low. I thought that was pretty decent. Especially in hindsight since I seem to only be getting 17-18 in this truck now!

I think though I'm starting to agree with Cujet. My time is worth more than the $3/hour savings, or whatever it works out to be. I don't do 90mph but life is too short to waste it in the car.

Originally Posted by PandaBear
Does going downhill count?

If it does, this is my best 31 mile average in my Corvette! Almost 50 MPG going downhill!

IMG_5372.JPG

Originally Posted by 14Accent
Heck, I got all you beat.

[Linked Image]

Well, if Hybrid's count...

[Linked Image]

I don't know. I assume you don't get free electricity so it's hard to calculate total fuel costs. And while the Volt is great for local driving, after about 40 miles when the battery is drained, actual MPG drops to the 40's.

You're absolutely correct, I was just being a wise guy. It manages about 37-38 when the battery is depleted.

You also need to show average MPH. I imagine I could get 80-90MPG @ 40mph steady in 80 degree F temps on flat land.

Originally Posted by Kjmack
Last weekend I had a out of town wedding 250 miles away . I figured I would take my 15 Jetta 1.8 t because it had not had a longer than 50 mile journey in last 2 years . So I filled the tank and added the Gumout Complete fuel system cleaner . All the stars must have been lined up because I got 42.2 MPGs hand calculated and that was going between 70-80 mph with about 15 miles of city too. I couldn't believe I broke 40 .

Years ago I was able to get 36 mpg in my Datsun 280ZX, 5 speed manual. It normally got 22-24 on the highway. I was driving from Lake Tahoe to Sacramento. The gravity gods were looking favorably upon me that day.

I once got 30 mpg for almost 1,000 miles in a 5,600 pound VW Touareg V10, not deliberately, but out of necessity. If you went over 50 mph it would start to overheat due to a bad electronic thermostat. So I ended up driving it home nearly 1,000 miles on I95 at 45-50 mph which is just above idle in that thing, The longest 22 hours behind the wheel I can remember.

personal best 2018 F150 2.7L. 23.9 mpg, round trip 700 miles. speeds ranged from 52-65 mpg heading out w/o A/C, and 72-65 mph interstate w/ A/C returning. A/C seems to be worth somewhere around 0.5 mpg or a little less.

Originally Posted by meep
... A/C seems to be worth somewhere around 0.5 mpg or a little less.
Much more likely to be a constant increase in fuel burned per hour than a constant mpg cost. Loss in terms of mpg due to air conditioning will be much lower for a low-mpg vehicle moving slowly than for a high-mpg vehicle at cruising speed---even if the actual cost in $/hour is the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back