So confused about Hemi oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've always been a Ford or Chevy man but decided to try a Ram this time. Found a 2014 one owner Hemi with 88,000 miles in excellent condition. He said its always been serviced at the dealer and he doesn't have a clue what weight or brand they used. I've read every thread I can find here and the Ram forums and there are so many different opinions I still don't know which oil to use. I have 2 jugs of 5W20 Rotella Gas Truck Oil waiting to go in but found the 5W30 cam wear thread and don't know if I should use it. Does anyone have real world experience with this engine?

Some people run nothing but 5w20 and the 5.7 lives a long happy life. Other people it wipes a cam lobe. Roll of the dice, I'd run the 5w20 myself, which is what I did run in mine.

I'd be more worried about the exhaust manifold studs breaking

Last edited:
You're not going to want to hear this, but late model gm and Chrysler v8 camshaft life is luck of the draw. Best thing you can do is keep it full and clean. I'd run the rotella you've already got for it, and just continue to run a good synthetic or conventional 5/20 at reasonable intervals. My opinion, take it as you wish.

The general consensus is find something with a good moly add pack and go with it.

You'll hear Redline this, redline that, hemi tick this, hemi tick that, Ram forums tend to go in all directions.

They come from the factory with PYB 5w20, and there are plenty rolling around with dealer fills, which are usually PYB or Mopar (similar look to Pennzoil Gold) 5w20

Despite what you read, MDS has no issues with 5/10w30 from what I've seen from friends and family who run it.

Once this fill is done, I will be using Schaeffers 5w20 for awhile, as it meets Chrysler spec, is affordable to buy in bulk, and has a good dose of moly, antimony, and other additives.

To answer the question/suggestions:

Conventionals:
PYB/QSGB/Formula Shell/Havoline/Supreme

Blends:
Pennzoil Gold/QS Synblend/QS Defy

Synthetics:
PP/PUP/QSUD/Formula Shell/Havoline/Red Line/Schaeffers/RGT

Whether you want 5w20 or 5w30 is up to you.
Cant go wrong with anything I mentioned.

Mine lived for 150,000km on a mix of PPPP, Mobil, Motomaster and Quaker State 5w20 at 10-12,000km intervals with lots of heavy pulling. It had the exhaust manifolds/gaskets done early on but the engine ran strong until the day we traded it in. Great engine.

I have been running Pennzoil ultra 5/20 on my 16 ram and a 6000 mile/ 6 month loci. I know I can and should go longer, but I am from the days of 3000 mile loci. I also use a fram ultra filter. Truck runs smooth and thus far no tick.

Hemi forums are doing different lubrication strategies based on "theory", and some of the science backs the strategies, as in long term uoa's are coming up very clean. Check ram forum for more, check oil threads and blackstone threads in engine and performance section. But, will there ever be proof that these strategies saved a cam lob from being wiped, likely not. I will say the oil that fca had a hand in made for the 6.4 hemi is PUP 0w40 srt oil, has high visc as in it is a 40 weight versus the 20 weight they run in the mds hemi and it has high moly and high detergency. The only thing I will say for sure is the lie that the mds requires 20 weight is a complete hoax. Nearly 1/2 the ram forum uses 30 weight and up in mds hemi with no issue. Running uoa's after 35k miles can be eye opening, number one hemi's are some of the highest wear engines out there, and some oils really perform better then others in uoa's. At a minimum I would invest in uoa's in hemi's as they mature and find one that gives lower wear numbers.

Did you get the 68rfe or 8 speed tranny? If it is the 8 speed that is an entire bag of worms for servicing. If it is the 68rfe let me know, I have some great info on using synthetic filters in there and options for servicing.

Great info, think I will go with the Rotella I already have and do a UOA at the next change. It won't be in there too long because I have to use the severe service schedule, my daily commute is about a quarter mile and the truck will be towing a 6000# camper several times a year.

I got the 8 speed, looks like I bought the whole case of worms
shocked2.gif

Originally Posted by TN Tracker
shocked2.gif

ZF isn't a can of worms. It requires special ZF fluid, a pump, tools, usually a new transmission cover if you want to change the filter, and a little bit of time.

Last edited:
It is a two part series just to check the fluid, LMAO.

However, it is the better transmision, no matter what the gearing the 8 speed keeps the hemi in good rpm's, one bummer about the rfe is the bogging in low rpm's.

Here is part one below, lol. I'm sure you can find part two, mind you this is just to check the fluid level.Here is part one- link.

Guys are getting 1200 dollar quotes just to service 8 speed.here.

So the one good thing is replacement costs for zf8 is 4500, you might just opt to do like ram says and consider it a lifetime fill. I can tell you before buying anything new ever, I will research it like a dog, cause I aint buying any of this whacky garbage. I don't care, no dip stick, no sale imo. I will buy old trucks no problem, fix them up anyhow.

unless in a cooler mountainous area 10-30 synthetic for sure, otherwise a 5-30 fake synthetic aka group III as most are. why chance a costly cam job over $50 worth of oil. i wont run any xx-20 oils in anything i own!

Last edited:
Originally Posted by benjy
unless in a cooler mountainous area 10-30 synthetic for sure, otherwise a 5-30 fake synthetic aka group III as most are. why chance a costly cam job over $50 worth of oil. i wont run any xx-20 oils in anything i own!

Because even with 10w30 or 0w40 they can still wipe a cam
21.gif

Originally Posted by burla

However, it is the better transmision, no matter what the gearing the 8 speed keeps the hemi in good rpm's, one bummer about the rfe is the bogging in low rpm's.

Here is part one below, lol. I'm sure you can find part two, mind you this is just to check the fluid level.Here is part one- link.

So the one good thing is replacement costs for zf8 is 4500, you might just opt to do like ram says and consider it a lifetime fill. I can tell you before buying anything new ever, I will research it like a dog, cause I aint buying any of this whacky garbage. I don't care, no dip stick, no sale imo. I will buy old trucks no problem, fix them up anyhow.

Dealer quoted me $675. Which doesn't seem so expensive now. I really love the truck compared to my previous 4.8 Silverado. Tows the travel trailer like it's not there. It gets pretty cold here in the winter, below zero at times, so l'm going to use a 5W.

shocked2.gif

The Ram ZF 8 speed is the best half ton transmission out there.

Originally Posted by burla

Dealer quoted me $675. Which doesn't seem so expensive now. I really love the truck compared to my previous 4.8 Silverado. Tows the travel trailer like it's not there. It gets pretty cold here in the winter, below zero at times, so l'm going to use a 5W.

I question that quote a bit, I wonder if that will actually get it done. The pan alone is a pan/filter and costs arounf 200 bucks, the fluid is 30 per quart so even at 8 quarts that is another 240, and I believe it can take more. So with tax that dealer will only get about 200 dollars for their labor, it would be about 200 just to check the fluid, lol. 675 is a great price, but I'd make sure and watch them do it and make sure you get a new pan/filter and make sure you get mopar zf fluid. I'm not a terribly trusting person by nature, but when flags go up I really will make sure I get what I paid for. If you can get that done for 675 and verify by watching them do it, congrats I would do that for sure. At 88k miles it is due, and that is a really fair price for you assuming you get the filter and fluid.

Originally Posted by Slick17601
shocked2.gif

The Ram ZF 8 speed is the best half ton transmission out there.

The ZF 8 speed was one of the main reasons I decided to buy a Ram truck. I am very happy with the truck overall and think it was a great deal for what you get vs where they are priced to the competitors, good bang for the buck I guess you would say. The mpg is great for a full size 4x4 truck, much better than my last truck. I will deal with any problems that may happen down the road, as any vehicle can or will have problems eventually. I would rather spend some time and money on repairs, knowing that in the long run I was still way ahead by having gotten a great buy and not making payments every month.

As to the OP, I am currently running the rotella 5w-20. I think it is a little quieter than the unknown oil that was previously in it. I would notice a little rattle on startup sometimes, have not experienced that with the RTG. With that said, I will probably try a 5w-30 next oil change. Thinking either the rotella again or quaker state synthetic, they are both very similar as far as I know, and have decent moly numbers.

To get an oil that flows faster you can get 0w20. Some of the 0w20 is on the thicker side. I have been debating in my head if I really want 0w20 in my Grand Caravan. I do know my sister runs 0w20 in her Altima and is at 90k on the little 4 cylinder all in Louisiana in severe duty.

I've always been a Ford or Chevy man but decided to try a Ram this time. Found a 2014 one owner Hemi with 88,000 miles in excellent condition. He said its always been serviced at the dealer and he doesn't have a clue what weight or brand they used. I've read every thread I can find here and the Ram forums and there are so many different opinions I still don't know which oil to use. I have 2 jugs of 5W20 Rotella Gas Truck Oil waiting to go in but found the 5W30 cam wear thread and don't know if I should use it. Does anyone have real world experience with this engine?

The dealer would have put in 5w-20 of whatever their bulk oil is, likely something along the lines of (if not exactly) PYB, QSGB, VWB, etc. You can continue with the same and likely never have a problem with a seized lifter chewing up the cam.

If the Xw-20 or conventional aspect of the previously used oil makes you uneasy, you can start running a Xw-30 in either conventional or synthetic and likely never have a problem with a seized lifter chewing up the cam.

The engine has gone 88K miles so far without a seized lifter chewing up the cam, so it will likely never have a problem with a seized lifter chewing up the cam.

You may have noticed a pattern here - it will likely never have a problem with a seized lifter chewing up the cam. It's as simple as that. Run whatever oil will work best for your geographical location and its seasonal climate extremes, and you will be doing all you can do to prevent the lifter/cam situation.

Others will no doubt disagree with my statements here, but the math doesn't lie. Take the total number of Hemi engines that have experienced the cam failure and divide it by the total number of Hemi engines produced. Multiply the quotient of that division by 100 and you have the percentage failure rate of the engines.

I don't know what that percentage is, but if it's more than 2% I will eat my Sunday hat.

NOTE1: I say all this while driving a car that has a Hemi that experienced the cam failure.

NOTE2: The plural of anecdote is not data. Please keep that in mind when reading horror story after horror story on the internet about this issue.

Just bought a JGC with the hemi.
I plan on using 5W-20 PYB. A good slug of moly, meets warranty requirements and is available at a great price.
OCI at 5k miles with OE filters.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back