PUP 5w-30 - 2016 GS F - 5,051 miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
What are the odds of it being identical to the last report which was with Castrol Ultraclean 5w-30.

This sample saw several runs at the dragstrip, along with the upper range of the rev limiter on a daily basis like the last sample did. Sample sat for over a month before sending it in - next oil change due in 1,000 ish miles. With no deals on PUP 5qt jugs on Amazon after the new bottle packaging so far in which I need 2 5qt jugs of (9.3qt oil sump), looks like I'll be using Castrol Ultraclean again since I have access to a 300 gallon bulk tank of it for free.

Enjoy,
Tiir

GSFoilreport.JPG

Looks like a well designed engine in good condition with minimal wear. You could probably get similar results with any API SN rated oil.

Large tanks of oil, even if it contains Castro Ultraclean are notoriously unclean. My GM dealer's 500 gallon tank was 32x more contaminated than the same bottle of oil sold in the parts department. They don't tell people that. Always use bottled oil.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Talent_Keyhole
Looks like a well designed engine in good condition with minimal wear. You could probably get similar results with any API SN rated oil.

It is a fantastic engine, it being a Toyota/Yamaha designed engine which has been in use since 2008 starting with the IS F (with some seeing 300k miles with no problem) and it's no surprise really. this variation of engine was tweaked in 2015 for the RC F & GS F with more HP along with a increase in a redline. I recently had the opportunity to see a 2UR-GSE out of a GS F apart completely due to water intake, it's way over engineered for the power output it produces.

Large tanks of oil, even if it contains Castro Ultraclean are notoriously unclean. My GM dealer's 500 gallon tank was 32x more contaminated than the same bottle of oil sold in the parts department. They don't tell people that. Always use bottled oil.

Interesting, don't mean to be abrasive, respectively, but do you have facts to back up that statement? Myself working at a dealer with the same bulk oil tank being in use for some 15 years, in which the last UOA being from the same tank with very good results, in addition to seeing hundreds, even thousands of vehicles using the same oil from the same tank hit, 100k, 200k, 300k miles, I would bet if a VOA was done compared to the same bottle variant in this case Castrol Ultraclean, the results would be similar.

Interesting, don't mean to be abrasive, respectively, but do you have facts to back up that statement? Myself working at a dealer with the same bulk oil tank being in use for some 15 years, in which the last UOA being from the same tank with very good results, in addition to seeing hundreds, even thousands of vehicles using the same oil from the same tank hit, 100k, 200k, 300k miles, I would bet if a VOA was done compared to the same bottle variant in this case Castrol Ultraclean, the results would be similar.
[/quote]

Were each of these thousands of vehicles, tracked and analyzed for wear thorought it's life to determine if there were any negative affects from oil with high contaminents. My local auto shop, pushes a syn blend, and when I suggested he investigate the real percentage of synthetic oil that he is selling to customer at much higher price, he responded the same way. I have done thousands of oil changes and no one has come back with a blown engine.

I doubted what others said about larger storage tanks and high levels of contamination. I bought a quart from the dealer and had the service rep fill up my sample bottle with the fluid that comes out of their dispenser. Sent it to Polaris Labs. Per ISO codes the oil in the tank had 32x more hard particulates than the quart bottle. The next week I saw a 3rd party delivery truck deliver more AC Delco (ExxonMobil) oil, and pumped into the same tank. I suspect the oil has passed through multiple storage tanks, trucks, hoses and handled my many parties since it was formulated at the factory some 1200 miles away. Every time you fill up for gas, the fuel passes through a 10 micron filter before it enters your car, for the same reason. Contamination from long term storage, distribuition and handling is a problem.

If your source is the large plastic, reusable tanks, that some companies use, and it was filled and sealed at the blending facility, you may be in good shape.

The fact that you you work at the dealer, then I suggest you perform the same test, especially with 15 year old tanks. I suspect the service manager would rather not know, and not go along with samples.

Last edited:
Were each of these thousands of vehicles, tracked and analyzed for wear thorough it's life to determine if there were any negative affects from oil with high contaminants. My local auto shop, pushes a syn blend, and when I suggested he investigate the real percentage of synthetic oil that he is selling to customer at much higher price, he responded the same way. I have done thousands of oil changes and no one has come back with a blown engine.

I doubted what others said about larger storage tanks and high levels of contamination. I bought a quart from the dealer and had the service rep fill up my sample bottle with the fluid that comes out of their dispenser. Sent it to Polaris Labs. Per ISO codes the oil in the tank had 32x more hard particulates than the quart bottle. The next week I saw a 3rd party delivery truck deliver more AC Delco (ExxonMobil) oil, and pumped into the same tank. I suspect the oil has passed through multiple storage tanks, trucks, hoses and handled my many parties since it was formulated at the factory some 1200 miles away. Every time you fill up for gas, the fuel passes through a 10 micron filter before it enters your car, for the same reason. Contamination from long term storage, distribution and handling is a problem.

If your source is the large plastic, reusable tanks, that some companies use, and it was filled and sealed at the blending facility, you may be in good shape.

The fact that you you work at the dealer, then I suggest you perform the same test, especially with 15 year old tanks. I suspect the service manager would rather not know, and not go along with samples.

You're truly splitting hairs to nth degree.

No, I did not track, and analyze the thousands of vehicles that I've personally seen over the the years to determine if high contaminants in bulk oil caused a problems, and well, I don't have too; since there are so many variables at play for one to conclude that bulk oil is a problem, as you say it is.

But for arguments sake; as far as variables go, you mentioned that you sent a sample in, if that's the case, you're basing statements on only one single sample, but, yet, except me to provide samples on thousands of vehicles? Further, at what level was the bulk tank sample taken by the service representative ? was it the upper, middle or lower section ? more so, in those sections was it taken in the upper, middle, or lower portion of those sections? Were the samples taken, and sent via VOA, and at what mileage ? Was the sample taken by drain or via fluid extractor? At what interval is the tank filled, is it weekly, monthly, quarterly, or yearly ?.....along with so many more variables. Even bottled oil has been shown to be "contaminated" from VOA's due to variations in bottle batches. Truth is, any form of oil is susceptible to contamination during the several stages of transport/refinement it endures, regardless if it's bulk or bottled oil.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Tiir
With no deals on PUP 5qt jugs on Amazon after the new bottle packaging so far in which I need 2 5qt jugs of (9.3qt oil sump), looks like I'll be using Castrol Ultraclean again since I have access to a 300 gallon bulk tank of it for free.

Why are you even buying oil if you get it for "free"? I mean, by all accounts that Castrol Ultraclean report was great..did you just have some extra Xmas money to burn?

Originally Posted by Mad_Hatter

Why are you even buying oil if you get it for "free"? I mean, by all accounts that Castrol Ultraclean report was great..did you just have some extra Xmas money to burn?

Curiosity I guess? It's not like it's a astronomical amount of money - the 2 - 5 qt jugs with the Pennzoil rebate was $30.

Originally Posted by Tiir
Were each of these thousands of vehicles, tracked and analyzed for wear thorough it's life to determine if there were any negative affects from oil with high contaminants. My local auto shop, pushes a syn blend, and when I suggested he investigate the real percentage of synthetic oil that he is selling to customer at much higher price, he responded the same way. I have done thousands of oil changes and no one has come back with a blown engine.

I doubted what others said about larger storage tanks and high levels of contamination. I bought a quart from the dealer and had the service rep fill up my sample bottle with the fluid that comes out of their dispenser. Sent it to Polaris Labs. Per ISO codes the oil in the tank had 32x more hard particulates than the quart bottle. The next week I saw a 3rd party delivery truck deliver more AC Delco (ExxonMobil) oil, and pumped into the same tank. I suspect the oil has passed through multiple storage tanks, trucks, hoses and handled my many parties since it was formulated at the factory some 1200 miles away. Every time you fill up for gas, the fuel passes through a 10 micron filter before it enters your car, for the same reason. Contamination from long term storage, distribution and handling is a problem.

You're truly splitting hairs to nth degree.

No, I did not track, and analyze the thousands of vehicles that I've personally seen over the the years to determine if high contaminants in bulk oil caused a problems, and well, I don't have too; since there are so many variables at play for one to conclude that bulk oil is a problem, as you say it is.

But for arguments sake; as far as variables go, you mentioned that you sent a sample in, if that's the case, you're basing statements on only one single sample, but, yet, except me to provide samples on thousands of vehicles? Further, at what level was the bulk tank sample taken by the service representative ? was it the upper, middle or lower section ? more so, in those sections was it taken in the upper, middle, or lower portion of those sections? Were the samples taken, and sent via VOA, and at what mileage ? Was the sample taken by drain or via fluid extractor? At what interval is the tank filled, is it weekly, monthly, quarterly, or yearly ?.....along with so many more variables. Even bottled oil has been shown to be "contaminated" from VOA's due to variations in bottle batches. Truth is, any form of oil is susceptible to contamination during the several stages of transport/refinement it endures, regardless if it's bulk or bottled oil.

Likewise, you cannot prove that any of the thousands of vehicles using oil from the high volume tanks did not suffer from higher containment levels, higher wear because there are too many variables.

A proven fact in the lubrication industry is that the cleaner the lubricant, prior to use and in-service will result in longer life of the equipment.

I assure you I am not the first to sample the same brand and grade of oil and compare a factory filled bottle with one that has gone through multiple levels of distribution and handling. The industry is fully aware of this issue,

LOL, as I said before it was from their dispenser. You know the hand-held, dispenser with the 50' retractible, rubber hose, that the lube techs use to fill the engine. Sample location is irrelevant. Can't be any closer to point of use than that.

Mileage of the New Lube Reference, Huh?. Interval of tank filled. Irrelevant. How often is the tank cleaned and contaminents removed, NEVER.

"Truth is, any form of oil is susceptible to contamination during the several stages of transport/refinement it endures, regardless if it's bulk or bottled oil." Were is your evidence? How does a sealed bottle of oil become contaminated, while in a sealed cardboard box during transportation and as it sits on the shelf waiting to be purchased?

I am not talking about refinement or blending. I am talking about transportation, distribution, storage and the multiple tanks and environment the oil has been exposed from the point of manufacturer to the moment it is dispensed into your engine. Bottled oil of the same brand, date of manufacture, and batch will be far cleaner than the same product going through multiple levels of handling described above.

In my case, the bottle had 600ppm @ (4um), the storage tank had 12,000 ppm @ (4um), and within 15 minutes of operation, my engine had 112,000 ppm @ (4um) circulating through the entire engine. The 20um filter is doing nothing for those contaminants.

So if I am getting all this...Its better to buy bottles/quarts vs bulk? I considered buying a drum of redline 0w20 but would this have the same issue as the bulk tanks? Think I'll stick to quarts.Interesting discussion.

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally Posted by Marco620
So if I am getting all this...Its better to buy bottles/quarts vs bulk? I considered buying a drum of redline 0w20 but would this have the same issue as the bulk tanks? Think I'll stick to quarts.Interesting discussion.

The only thing established in this thread for sure is there is ONE bulk oil tank you want to avoid getting oil from...

Talent_Keyhole - Just throwing this one out there...could it be possible that there's a large variation in the cleanliness of bulk oil tanks and without a study of a large number of bulk oil tanks it's impossible to generalize with an n=1?

Last edited:

Likewise, you cannot prove that any of the thousands of vehicles using oil from the high volume tanks did not suffer from higher containment levels, higher wear because there are too many variables.

A proven fact in the lubrication industry is that the cleaner the lubricant, prior to use and in-service will result in longer life of the equipment.

I assure you I am not the first to sample the same brand and grade of oil and compare a factory filled bottle with one that has gone through multiple levels of distribution and handling. The industry is fully aware of this issue,

LOL, as I said before it was from their dispenser. You know the hand-held, dispenser with the 50' retractible, rubber hose, that the lube techs use to fill the engine. Sample location is irrelevant. Can't be any closer to point of use than that.

Mileage of the New Lube Reference, Huh?. Interval of tank filled. Irrelevant. How often is the tank cleaned and contaminents removed, NEVER.

"Truth is, any form of oil is susceptible to contamination during the several stages of transport/refinement it endures, regardless if it's bulk or bottled oil." Were is your evidence? How does a sealed bottle of oil become contaminated, while in a sealed cardboard box during transportation and as it sits on the shelf waiting to be purchased?

I am not talking about refinement or blending. I am talking about transportation, distribution, storage and the multiple tanks and environment the oil has been exposed from the point of manufacturer to the moment it is dispensed into your engine. Bottled oil of the same brand, date of manufacture, and batch will be far cleaner than the same product going through multiple levels of handling described above.

In my case, the bottle had 600ppm @ (4um), the storage tank had 12,000 ppm @ (4um), and within 15 minutes of operation, my engine had 112,000 ppm @ (4um) circulating through the entire engine. The 20um filter is doing nothing for those contaminants.

Can oil be contaminated? Of course it can, I'm not discounting that fact - that's the case with anything that sees several stages of distribution - but like I said before, you're splitting hairs in regards to oil with it's use in this application.

You posted statements that " Large tanks of oil..... are notoriously unclean" ...."Always use bottled oil"....pretty much stating generally, that using bulk oil is problem, which would result in elevated wear of equipment, lessening life, in which this case, is a normal consumer vehicle - a non-critical use item that numbers in the excess of the tens of millions. When asked to provide facts for those statements, you provided only ONE sample you sent in, yet arguing, I need to prove otherwise only based on ONE example. As far as I'm concerned, the burden is on you to prove to me otherwise; my personal experience, and common sense takes precedence over the lack of information you are able to provide, of course, until there are any facts that prove otherwise. I will tell you that in the 10 years + of experience, I have never seen an engine fail due to bulk oil use. The engines I've seen fail (with some humor), the major one being due to weather geographically being in Florida, which should be no surprise, is water intake (people think cars are submarines); the second being lack of maintenance (way overdue for a oil change/wonder why the red genie bottle symbol comes on), and lastly, the very rare instance,statistically, is failure due to a manufacturing defect, all in that order. If I were to take a guess at the amount of vehicles volume wise at my place of employment, It would be close to some 300,000 vehicles over that time span. My experience only being something that scratches the surface, what about the other several millions of vehicles that see bulk oil use across the nation, not including the world.

On the contrary; I believe you are misinterpreting what I'm trying to convey, being that if it were such a big problem, it would be widespread problem of engines failing, especially with vehicles reaching 200,000-300,000 miles, which is considered end of life for the general gasoline engine. I doubt anyone said " I sure wished I had used bottle oil instead, if I had, I would of reached X more amount of mileage". That being said, in the end, it's a non-issue, and nothing but something more to obsessive over.

Originally Posted by Marco620

I'm not arguing either way, bottled vs. large permanent storage tank, but if you are worried about it, I'd think the barrel would be like a bottle, if filled at the production facility, just like bottles. The barrel isn't a storage tank, but rather likely a new barrel, unless they recycle them. If they do, they probably clean them before refilling.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back