Red Line 5w20 , 11K Miles .1.6 Ecoboost

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is a 1.6 Ecoboost 140 Hp 300 Nm engine in a Volvo V40T2, 2014.This run was very hard on the oil. I am driving a lot of highway in Germany , so from the 11k Miles at least 3k was made with speeds of 105 mph.
The oil is still in the engine .I am planing to drive another 7k miles and take another sample.
I have put the UOA as pdf file.
The UOA is on German and the Lab is Oelcheck. They talk about the high silicone in the oil but Red Line 5w20 has already silicone to begin with.The TBN was 5.

Sorry for my bad english.

Attachments

• 0 bytes · Views: 205
  • 0 bytes · Views: 94
Last edited:
Very nice UOA.

I caution everyone to consider more frequent oil changes in modern Direct Injection engines. Particulates and evaporated fuel/combustion by product contaminates build up in the oil and promote wear. There have been many Ecoboost engines with timing chain wear due to extended OCI's. And the problem is not limited to Ford products. GM reduced the OCI's in a successful attempt at mitigating warranty chain replacements.

I've found that 5000 miles is where I get the best results. EB truck and SUV owners in the States that go with extended drain intervals are losing timing chains by 90K miles. It is also good to note that chains last longer with 30 viscosity oils.

Originally Posted by Cujet
Very nice UOA.

I caution everyone to consider more frequent oil changes in modern Direct Injection engines. Particulates and evaporated fuel/combustion by product contaminates build up in the oil and promote wear. There have been many Ecoboost engines with timing chain wear due to extended OCI's. And the problem is not limited to Ford products. GM reduced the OCI's in a successful attempt at mitigating warranty chain replacements.

I've found that 5000 miles is where I get the best results. EB truck and SUV owners in the States that go with extended drain intervals are losing timing chains by 90K miles. It is also good to note that chains last longer with 30 viscosity oils.

DI appears to be tech in reverse, that's why I chose not to own a DI engine. I have hundreds of thousands of miles on engines with OHCs and not a single timing chain problem with M1 0-20 oils.

I'm a little new here, but let's say someone picks up the jug of M1 Annual Protection at Wal-Mart, or gets some Amsoil and follows their 15,000 mile "severe service" oil change interval, and their chain snaps at 90k...can they realistically expect some kind of compensation from M1 or Amsoil?

This engine does not have a timing chain, it has a timing belt, so no problems there.I like the 1.6 ecoboost, I drive it like a diesel, it has enough torque so I dont have to work it up in the RPM.
Let us see how much can the Red Line go , within reasonable wear limits.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by ovidiu

Sorry for my bad english.

No need to apologize... Your English and writing are fine.

Slightly off the topic of oil analysis.... Do you happen to know what kind of fuel economy your vehicle gets at those those higher speeds? Do you know the economy numbers for city compared to highway compared to 100+ MPH? BTW: I don't care what units you use (i.e. kilometers, miles, gallons, liters etc).

Thanks

Ray

Originally Posted by Deontologist
I'm a little new here, but let's say someone picks up the jug of M1 Annual Protection at Wal-Mart, or gets some Amsoil and follows their 15,000 mile "severe service" oil change interval, and their chain snaps at 90k...can they realistically expect some kind of compensation from M1 or Amsoil?

The oil makers always say to follow the owners manuals first & foremost.

Last edited:
When i drive just highway at normal speed lets say under 75 mph then I get between 44 and 40 mpg, above 75mph the mpg changes rapidly.At 105 mph I get about 23 mpg, maybe less, but I have to brake sometimes and then speed up again.In the city I use the start-stop function and I get 36 mpg at average speed of 16 mph.But my city is not a big city it has 200.000 people

Last edited:
When i drive just highway at normal speed lets say under 75 mph then I get between 44 and 40 mpg, above 75mph the mpg changes rapidly.At 105 mph I get about 23 mpg, maybe less, but I have to brake sometimes and then speed up again.In the city I use the start-stop function and I get 36 mpg at average speed of 16 mph.But my city is not a big city it has 200.000 people

Thank you so much! Just to clarify, I think you're using the British/European Gallon units (also used in Canada) so, to translate for US readers: https://www.calculateme.com/gas-mileage/british-mpg-to-us-mpg

Imperial 44 - 40 = US 33.3 - 36.6
Imperial 23 = US 19.5

For 105 MPH, 23-I (19.5 US) is still pretty good fuel economy!

Thank you...

Ray
PS: I wish we had roads where we could legally drive at high speed.

although redline is one of the best the 1/4 mpg from a xxW20 means nothing in the long run + oil analysis will NOT show the wear caused by thinner oils.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by RayCJ

Thank you so much! Just to clarify, I think you're using the British/European Gallon units (also used in Canada) so, to translate for US readers: https://www.calculateme.com/gas-mileage/british-mpg-to-us-mpg

Imperial 44 - 40 = US 33.3 - 36.6
Imperial 23 = US 19.5

For 105 MPH, 23-I (19.5 US) is still pretty good fuel economy!

Thank you...

Ray
PS: I wish we had roads where we could legally drive at high speed.

Ray here are the fuel consumption grafs I have from 83k until 93k ,

https://www.spritmonitor.de/de/detailansicht/1014811.html

But it is in liters and km.In the grafs its showing how much gas I have put in, and how many km I have been driving with that amount of gas.

Last edited:

But it is in liters and km.In the grafs its showing how much gas I have put in, and how many km I have been driving with that amount of gas.

Your oil analysis is amazing for 11k miles. It seems impossible that your Base Number (mgKOH/g) is 5. Does your lab do particle count analysis? Also, what oil filter and air filter do you use? For very long runs, I think particle contamination is important to know.

Thanks for showing your fuel economy. Here is mine. This is not very exciting but if you wish to see, it's the total fuel history for a 2018 Mazda3 purchased 10 months ago. The results show in Miles per US Gallon. http://www.fuelly.com/car/mazda/3/2018/redjellybean/836090

Sorry for taking your thread off-topic.

Ray

This engine does not have a timing chain, it has a timing belt, so no problems there.I like the 1.6 ecoboost, I drive it like a diesel, it has enough torque so I dont have to work it up in the RPM.

Yes, I'd like to see just HOW the Red Line does in this engine, as it's very high calcium (and somewhat high sodium) levels have me a little bit worried (and WHY I have not even tried it yet) for it's use in a turbo DI EcoBoost app, like our's.

Originally Posted by RayCJ

Your oil analysis is amazing for 11k miles. It seems impossible that your Base Number (mgKOH/g) is 5. Does your lab do particle count analysis? Also, what oil filter and air filter do you use? For very long runs, I think particle contamination is important to know.

Thanks for showing your fuel economy. Here is mine. This is not very exciting but if you wish to see, it's the total fuel history for a 2018 Mazda3 purchased 10 months ago. The results show in Miles per US Gallon. http://www.fuelly.com/car/mazda/3/2018/redjellybean/836090

Sorry for taking your thread off-topic.

Ray

I am using a K&N oil filter and a Bosch air filter and the UOA has PQ-index but no particle count.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by dailydriver

Yes, I'd like to see just HOW the Red Line does in this engine, as it's very high calcium (and somewhat high sodium) levels have me a little bit worried (and WHY I have not even tried it yet) for it's use in a turbo DI EcoBoost app, like our's.

If with high calcium you are referring to LSPI , than I have to say , I have never had any problems that I know of,in regard to LSPI. I have had Castrol 0w30 A5/B5 with 3000 ppm Ca and I have floored in the 6 gear from as low as 45 mph (1600 rpm) many times and nothing abnormal happend.
But like I said this engine has only 140 hp so maybe it is not stressed enough to even get LSPI.

Last edited:
I will try to go with this oil until 18k miles.Volvo says 18,6k miles or one year OCI.I think if I change the oil filter the Red Line 5w20 will make it to 18k.

Lots of differences between Ovidiu's use and mine, but to state the obvious:

1) he has much lower wear numbers, and no weird metals like Pb.
2) his 5w20 visc@100 UOA is higher than my Pennzoil Ultra 5w30 VOA, and MUCH higher than my UOA (8.2) after 6k miles.
3) his fuel appears negligible....unlike mine.
Obviously a 1.6 EB operated in Europe is different from 3.5EB operated in USA. And of course, Redline & Ultra are different.

What octane is your fuel? I wonder if my ECU would fix its "sh*t" if I ran premium?

Originally Posted by Impatient
Lots of differences between Ovidiu's use and mine, but to state the obvious:

1) he has much lower wear numbers, and no weird metals like Pb.
2) his 5w20 visc@100 UOA is higher than my Pennzoil Ultra 5w30 VOA, and MUCH higher than my UOA (8.2) after 6k miles.
3) his fuel appears negligible....unlike mine.
Obviously a 1.6 EB operated in Europe is different from 3.5EB operated in USA. And of course, Redline & Ultra are different.

What octane is your fuel? I wonder if my ECU would fix its "sh*t" if I ran premium?

Hello Impatient, I use mostly 95 Oktane E10, but I have been using 102 Oktane also . The engine had from Volvo originally 120 hp ,I do not know why so few , it is mechanically the same ecoboost that has 150 hp , 180hp in the Focus or Fusion .So I said , it can not be that an 1.6 Turbo has only 120hp and 240 Nm, so I tuned the engine to 140 hp and over 300 Nm. Its not much but its a lot better to drive.The torque makes it.
You can not compare a 3.5 Ecoboost, 365 hp with 2 turbos engine, with a small 1.6 ecoboost.I know in the USA a 3.5 engine is considered a small one , but in Europe it is a different story

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back