Why does diesel stink so much less than gas?

Status
Not open for further replies.
This morning I spilled a good bit of diesel on my shorts, all over the front of one leg. Had to wear them all day but by the time I got home I could hardly notice the smell. If you get even a few drops of gas on your hands, it stinks for days. Why the big difference?

Must be different from the diesel we have here. One drop on you and you stink all day. It's really bad. I am very careful when fueling my truck not to get any on me.

Originally Posted by atikovi
This morning I spilled a good bit of diesel on my shorts, all over the front of one leg. Had to wear them all day but by the time I got home I could hardly notice the smell. If you get even a few drops of gas on your hands, it stinks for days. Why the big difference?

you went noseblind?

Diesel REEKS and doesnt evaporate as much as gasoline.

Another thing I noticed after having a 5 gal. plastic gas can half full of diesel in a trunk for hours, when opening the vent, there was no big whooosh from the pressure inside. If it had gas, it would that in just 5 minutes.

Originally Posted by Rand

you went noseblind?

HAHA nothing wrong with my sense of smell. I'm still wearing the shorts and it kinda smells like a laundry detergent aroma after taking clothes out of the dryer.

I use a diesel tractor and have to dump from cans.. so its pretty messy... I much prefer the gasoline odor.

I use a diesel tractor and have to dump from cans.. so its pretty messy... I much prefer the gasoline odor.

+1 for me. I love the smell of 100 octane unleaded. smells like kool aid.

Originally Posted by Oily_Thing
Gasoline used to smell much better. This Top Tier stuff from Phillips 66 stinks.

It sure did! I loaded gas tanker trucks one hot Houston summer. They pulled into the rack empty & hot from the run in the sun to the rack. The first few gallons pumped into the tank WHOOSHED right back past me as fumes. Smelled good in 1967!

No dementia or cancer yet.

you went noseblind?

That's what I was going to say...

Originally Posted by ammolab
Originally Posted by Oily_Thing
Gasoline used to smell much better. This Top Tier stuff from Phillips 66 stinks.

It sure did! I loaded gas tanker trucks one hot Houston summer. They pulled into the rack empty & hot from the run in the sun to the rack. The first few gallons pumped into the tank WHOOSHED right back past me as fumes. Smelled good in 1967!

No dementia or cancer yet.

Loved the smell of the leaded gas! I am glad they don't put lead in gas these days though.

Originally Posted by Vern_in_IL
Gasoline does not exist anymore. It is Gasohol.

for you maybe.. its regional.. Ohio is upto 10% ethanol but you can buy rec fuel (basically marina gas) in 90-92 octane usually.

other places the high octane grade is ethanol free, and other regional differences.

I got my sleeve of a hoodie soaked in diesel while changing a Kubota fuel filter. After 3 washings I could still smell it. This was offroad diesel, not that that should make a difference. Couldn't believe how long it smelled.

A lot of it is due to diesel's volatility being much lower than gas. It doesn't evaporate as readily as gasoline so there will be less vapor by default.

Same thing with industrial solvents, you'll find that the most volatile ones (MEK for example) have the strongest most offensive odor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back