wemay

Site Donor 2023
Conv vs Syn
Goes over some Saab UOA
Opinion on ST and AmazonB (Warren Dist)
Etc...

Last edited:
Originally Posted by csandste
No surprises. Reinforces my plan to use my $10 VWB coupons (change and filter) and go with a 5k oci.

It's crossed my mind many a time.

I wonder what the oil conspiracy ones who say conventional 5w20 is destroying the Hemi have to say? Everytime I mention Chrysler states in manual that conventional 5w20 is recommended and synthetic oil is ok. I agree with Blackstone and Chrysler on this subject.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by tiger862
I wonder what the oil conspiracy ones who say conventional 5w20 is destroying the Hemi have to say? Everytime I mention Chrysler states in manual that conventional 5w20 is recommended and synthetic oil is ok. I agree with Blackstone and Chrysler on this subject.

I was to late to edit. Everytime i mention Chrysler states in manual that conventional 5w20 is recommended and synthetic oil is ok people seem to argue that a manufacturer in 2019 don't recommend conventional anymore.

I got a kick out of watching the host's expressions. He seemed displeased that Ryan was not extolling the benefits of some super-duper brand of synthetic oil that everyone could run-out and buy and feel good about.

Originally Posted by wemay
Originally Posted by csandste
No surprises. Reinforces my plan to use my $10 VWB coupons (change and filter) and go with a 5k oci.

It's crossed my mind many a time.

In all honesty, I have never considered extended OCIs given the type of vehicle I have and driving I do. For me, the risks seem higher and the primary benefit is spending (maybe) 30-50% less on oil/filter maintenance. Since I enjoy doing my own oil changes, I'll splurge on that extra $27/year. Also, I maintain 5 family cars and tend to use syn-blend oil instead of full synthetic.

Maybe for some people, it makes more sense to extend OCIs. It's an individual decision... In my case, some family cars get 3 OCs/year and some get 2. It's way easier for me to schedule it this way rather than track individual odometers.

Ray

Blackstone prevented destruction of my engine via coolant contamination from a cracked head. Their service is invaluable.

IIRC-there was a very knowledgeable former GM engine development engineer (bobinsky?) on the BITOG forums that got banned and all posts removed. He was of the opinion synthetic oils are of no benefit/waste of money and are only really useful if oil temps exceed 300 F (racing or track days). Interesting reading.

His opinion appears to be in line what this Blackstone video is suggesting about conventional vs. synthetic oils.

Hope I don't get banned for bringing this up LOL

Originally Posted by willbur
IIRC-there was a very knowledgeable former GM engine development engineer (bobinsky?) on the BITOG forums that got banned and all posts removed. He was of the opinion synthetic oils are of no benefit/waste of money and are only really useful if oil temps exceed 300 F (racing or track days). Interesting reading.

His opinion appears to be in line what this Blackstone video is suggesting about conventional vs. synthetic oils.

Hope I don't get banned for bringing this up LOL

why would someone like that get banned from this site?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back