Car Wash Soap...

Status
Not open for further replies.
FWIW, I recently purchased a bottle of RainX car wash. It's vivid green and looks a lot like Predator blood. https://m.media-amazon.com/images/S/aplus-media/vc/c6963c6d-2142-4a1c-8cb2-6784814cbc1e.jpg I'm not all that crazy about it. The suds are thin and it drips, drains and dries off faster than I care for. Not the end of the world -but wanted to pass along my opinions. In it's defense, it was 1/2 the cost of my favorite which is Meguiars, made mainly of good, old-fashioned palm oil. https://www.autogeek.net/mg7164.html

Ray

Last weekend I tried some of the Dollar General car wash soap for a buck. It wasn't that bad and is blue in color. The suds and lubricity were fine. It says to use 2-4 ounces in the bucket. I think the bottle contains 20 ounces of soap. I probably used a good 6-8 ounces since it came out of the bottle so fast. Even though it says it's a gel soap. Afterwards I used some Durgloss Aquawax while drying and it turned out great.

In a few weeks I will give it a proper detail. This is the first hand wash the car has received since winter. Much better than the Armor All soap I've tried in the past. Prob my favorite is Duragloss cherry car wash soap. Nice sheeting action when rinsing. Next up I'll try the Megs Gold Class.

Originally Posted by Taildragger
Not sure that suds do any actual cleaning....
Detergent manufacturers put foaming agents in their soaps for a reason. The foam or bubbles actually hold loosened "dirt" in suspension and helps remove the dirt while rinsing.

I like the ones that use real Predator blood, so you know it's good!

I tend to use something inexpensive, like the cherry-scented Duragloss Car Wash Concentrate, which is about 25 cents an ounce. If I'm not trying to preserve wax on the finish, I'll use Dawn. Some of these car wash soaps are really pricey, like $12 or more for 16oz or 500ml.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Taildragger
Not sure that suds do any actual cleaning so I would not base everything on that. How did the completed results look?

At the end of the day, it all looked good but, I had to foam it and let it soak twice. I like to shoot the foam and let it sit for a long while to loosen-up the dirt. Like I said, not the end of the world but, for folks who grew accustomed to Meguiars, this stuff seems disappointing.

Originally Posted by Joel_MD
I like the ones that use real Predator blood, so you know it's good!

That's in real short supply around here. Y'a got any idea how hard it is to catch them rascals and get the blood out them? It's a real pain!

Originally Posted by Joel_MD
I tend to use something inexpensive, like the cherry-scented Duragloss Car Wash Concentrate, which is about 25 cents an ounce. If I'm not trying to preserve wax on the finish, I'll use Dawn. Some of these car wash soaps are really pricey, like $12 or more for 16oz or 500ml.

Same here... Hit it hard with Dawn when I want to get the wax off. I mix the Dawn in the foam cannon bottle along with a few shots of the regular wash. The theory being the regular wash maintains a film and keeps it on the surface longer. -Better living through chemistry!

Ray

Originally Posted by SatinSilver

In a few weeks I will give it a proper detail. This is the first hand wash the car has received since winter. Much better than the Armor All soap I've tried in the past. Prob my favorite is Duragloss cherry car wash soap. Nice sheeting action when rinsing. Next up I'll try the Megs Gold Class.

Geeze, what are you waiting for? It's beautiful out there. Fire-up the grill, grab a brew and make that car beautiful...

Later

Picked up a gallon jug of Turtle Wax Orange Super Foaming Car Wash and Wax to use in my new foam cannon. I may have had the concentration set too high, but that stuff took the sealer right off. Water has been beading tightly on that truck for years, and after that day, it sheeted off. The microfiber drying towels that normally glide across the surface just dragged and grabbed the paint.

If you're looking for something to strip off old wax or sealer, this is your stuff. You don't need Dawn. In fact, you can have the rest of my bottle.

Originally Posted by WylieCoyote
Picked up a gallon jug of Turtle Wax Orange Super Foaming Car Wash and Wax to use in my new foam cannon. I may have had the concentration set too high, but that stuff took the sealer right off. Water has been beading tightly on that truck for years, and after that day, it sheeted off. The microfiber drying towels that normally glide across the surface just dragged and grabbed the paint.

If you're looking for something to strip off old wax or sealer, this is your stuff. You don't need Dawn. In fact, you can have the rest of my bottle.

Thanks... Good to know!

Originally Posted by WylieCoyote

A couple of things to note;

Using a wash and wax product with a foam cannon is not the best practice.

Sheeting is actually preferable to beading.

Originally Posted by RayCJ
Originally Posted by SatinSilver

Geeze, what are you waiting for? It's beautiful out there. Fire-up the grill, grab a brew and make that car beautiful...

We've had a ton of rain here. It's seen a good automated car wash. Plus I washed it and gave it a mini-detail recently. I'll get er done soon enough.
smile.gif

I recently bought a mystery box from Detailers Domain and got a bottle of Nextzett Auto Glanz shampoo, odd name but seemed to work good. TONS of lubricity and a descent shine after.

https://www.detailersdomain.com/collections/wash/products/nextzett-auto-glanz-shampoo

Other than that I have been using Car Pros Reset and really like it. PH neutral, but cleans good. Only drawback is it doesn't have any shine agents, so to get a glossy look you need to use something after like a quick detailer..
I also had great luck and used for years Maguire's Gold class shampoo, great "off the shelf" soap.

Meh... Car wash soap is car wash soap. I've used Meguiars fancy pink glop from Costco and the El cheapo Walmart blue stuff. Zero difference but for smell. It's all the ssme stuff except one throws more bucks at marketing. Fact

Originally Posted by Toros
Meh... Car wash soap is car wash soap. I've used Meguiars fancy pink glop from Costco and the El cheapo Walmart blue stuff. Zero difference but for smell. It's all the ssme stuff except one throws more bucks at marketing. Fact

WRONG!

Just compare the Meguiar's GOLD CLASS car wash to the off-brand that is NEARLY identical, the Meguiar's name brand soap has more viscosity. The off brand on the shelf is like water!

You basically want much wax in your soap, and it needs to be thick enough to "stay" on the vehicle and not run off while you are washing, I wash with a dedicated brush. dirty/clean wash pales, and add a extra cup full to wash water to ensure lubricatcy.

Originally Posted by Toros
It's all the ssme stuff except one throws more bucks at marketing. Fact

Not fact at all. Is there a basic, commonly used formulation for car soap that hundreds of blenders produce ? Sure there is. Can a company make a truly "better" soap ? They definitely can. It will cost more too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back