Potenza SO4 Pole Position on the 968

Status
Not open for further replies.
Put some Bridgestone Potenza SO4 Pole Position tires on the 968 today. Front in 225/45R17 rear in 255/40R17

Replaced some 10+ year old Conti Extreme Contacts that were on the car. The Conti had less then 2k mile on them but the age forced me to change.

Only about 60 miles so far but I can tell the tires needed to be changed, or at least the old ones needed a balance at minimum. Car is much smoother, but I did notice a little bit of tram lining on the way home, hopefully not an issue.

[Linked Image]

They look just like the S001's I had on my vehicle. I didn't like them in the wet. Of course with you living in Florida I'm sure that's what you want to read.
wink.gif

Originally Posted by BeerCan
but I did notice a little bit of tram lining on the way home, hopefully not an issue.

I had the previous S03s on my old A4. Incredible grip (dry and wet), but they were tramlining h_e_l_l. I believe that is due to the super stiff sidewall/construction.

I am currently running Conti Extreme Contact Sport on my 530i - it's a nice balance between performance and comfort. No tramlining.

Originally Posted by BMWTurboDzl
They look just like the S001's I had on my vehicle. I didn't like them in the wet. Of course with you living in Florida I'm sure that's what you want to read.
wink.gif

From what I understand the S001 and the S04 differ only in the rubber compound. I hope they work for me in the wet, otherwise someone will get a good deal on them used
smile.gif
Honestly I am a pretty mellow driver when it is wet out so as long as they are decent I will be ok. If I know wee are going to have torrential rain I will just take my truck.

What did you move to and are they better in the rain?

Last edited:
Originally Posted by BMWTurboDzl
wink.gif

From what I understand the S001 and the S04 differ only in the rubber compound. I hope they work for me in the wet, otherwise someone will get a good deal on them used
smile.gif
Honestly I am a pretty mellow driver when it is wet out so as long as they are decent I will be ok.

What did you move to and are they better in the rain?

Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+

They seem to be better in the rain but that should be expected with their open tread block design. Yes, I compromised some on dry handling but TBH I never drive at that limit these days anyways. Trying to keep my miles down on the car and all.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by SatinSilver
Can we see some pictures of the car please? Thank you.

Here is a quick one I just snapped when I got home

[Linked Image]

Put some Bridgestone Potenza SO4 Pole Position tires on the 968 today. Front in 225/45R17 rear in 255/40R17

Replaced some 10+ year old Conti Extreme Contacts that were on the car. The Conti had less then 2k mile on them but the age forced me to change.

Only about 60 miles so far but I can tell the tires needed to be changed, or at least the old ones needed a balance at minimum. Car is much smoother, but I did notice a little bit of tram lining on the way home, hopefully not an issue.

[Linked Image]

Beautiful car, but I hate Potenzas. Came on my 370z. Might as well run slicks. They resist hydroplaning the same.

Well good thing about tires like this, they wear out fast. So if I don't like them I won't have to put up with them forever . I have extreme contacts on the 951 and I like them so far and this will be a good comparison considering the cars are so similar.

I had Potenza's twice and they need some time to warm up. Unlike Michelin in that category, these did not have any grip until some 10 miles of 50+ mph driving.
Once they warm up, they glue like crazy, but bit colder weather and they are mediocre. Also, one thing I absolutely HATE about Bridgestone is that they are much heavier than competition.

So I have over 700 miles on these tires so I thought I would update.

The good
Great grip in dry and wet. It's been raining a bunch here and the tires are handling it fine.
The tires don't lose grip suddenly you kind of feel them start to give and I like that.

The bad
These tires are noisy. I think that comes with the territory with this class of tires.
They tend to tram line. It's the most annoying thing about these. On some roads it's just plain terrible. Because of this when they wear out I'll get something else.

Originally Posted by wings&wheels
Beautiful car. Enjoy.

Thanks. I really like this car, it's so fun to drive. Sometimes I can't believe how small it is, like a go cart ...„ðŸ

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back