Importing a Suzuki Carry All

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi folks, for a while now I have been considering buying an imported carry all type truck. Would it be better to use a local importer or buy it yourself from a website?

I would personally go through an importer. They will know everything needed to bring it in and if there is an issue they can be the one to point a finger at.

Originally Posted by Miller88
If it was legal to drive them on the roads in NY, I'd have one already!

This is a good point. Would this vehicle be able to be registered in your state? That would be the first thing to check.

In Florida, 25 years old or older and meets the state requirements it is allowable to register. So basic things such as blinkers, heat / defrost, lights, mirrors etc... Probably wont begin searching until January but want to know the route to take when the time comes. I thought maybe someone on BITOG has been through the process.

The importer would have all those answers I would think.

The Suzuki Carry is really a great little vehicle. They are super popular in Asia and beyond. Gutsy engines and configurable body styles to meet the needs of the buyer. I've been in several of them. Easy to work on as well.

Parts availability would be another question.

Link
Each state seems different. Mine is too restrictive for me to bother (so much for "Live free or die" or the more recent "Live free and drive").
New Hampshire 9/11/10 roads with a posted speed limit of 35 mph or less located within 25 miles of the registrant's home or place of business no low-speed utility vehicle

I couldn't even drive across town! the main drag is posted at 40mph. Although I bet the local cops probably don't care...

Originally Posted by atikovi
Federal regs say anything 25 years old or older can be imported without restriction. I don't think your state would have a say in this.

California sure does. If they do not meet emissions standards they are not allowed in. They got rid of the 30 year rolling exemption for the 1976M vehicles. Everything newer is permanently in the smog program.

Originally Posted by bdcardinal
Federal regs say anything 25 years old or older can be imported without restriction. I don't think your state would have a say in this.

California sure does. If they do not meet emissions standards they are not allowed in. They got rid of the 30 year rolling exemption for the 1976M vehicles. Everything newer is permanently in the smog program.

Doesn't Japan have stricter smog requirements than the USA so that it should pass a California smog test?

Doesn't Japan have stricter smog requirements than the USA so that it should pass a California smog test?

If they don't pay CARB they don't play.

Originally Posted by eljefino

If they don't pay CARB they don't play.

Exactly. You can have the base block and heads as JDM now, but everything bolted to it has to be OEM or CARB approved.

Japan's emissions laws aren't really more strict, its that they set up their registration to prevent people from keeping old cars. Think increasing 300% every year after 5 or 6 years.

If it's at least 25 years old, you can import it and register in any state except California due to their strict emissions laws.

First of all, great car.

Anything 25 yrs old and in stock configuration is 49 state legal. Stock config is key; no engine swaps, old VIN's on a newer chassis, etc. Customs is sensitive to this and are fairly well educated on the popular vehicles being imported, but they are professional and reasonable. You may have some work to get it titled and registered, many state RMV's just aren't familiar with non conforming VIN's, but you will get it done. Insurance can be a challenge, but the collector car companies are always there.

Importing one yourself is not that hard, you just have to learn the process, the requirements, line up carriers, and you may need a Customs Broker. If the vehicle is dirty say w/ caked mud, there will be a mandatory steam wash, which you will be billed for. There are a lot of write ups on the 'web, and I would talk to someone who has done it. That said, the reputable importers have plenty of landed cars here. Unless you really want the sense of accomplishment, I'd buy one landed or have one imported for you.

My situation got twisted a bit; I lined up all of the above and went looking for diesel Defenders, then got promoted to Compliance Officer which included global import/export compliance. I quickly decided that I did not want my silly car hobby potentially putting me on CBP's radar screen and impacting the corporation.....I found one that had just arrived here.

PM w/ any questions. Glad to help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back