2017 Honda CR-V, dealer bulk 0w-20, 1600 mi OCI, 1.5l T

Status
Not open for further replies.
Honda CR-V with 12,794 miles. Is a DD and driven very easy. Mostly short trips. 90/10 split local/highway.

Dealer performed first two oil changes. Last one in December 2018. Paperwork was vague and ambiguous so assume dealer bulk of unknown origin though 0w-20 was noted. Filter was Honda OEM. Filter was c/o and in decent shape with no noticeable particles to cause concern...link to c/o below.

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/foru...-a02-filter-after-1700-miles#Post5134751

I changed oil and oil filter June 2019. Went with Magnatec 0w-20 and Bosch 3323 filter.

6 months in...fuel dilution at 1.8 according to BSL. MM displayed 50% oil life left. While numbers not terrible...not sure I would have wanted my friend to drive another 5-6 months before changing oil based on MM.

Also installed Fumoto valve. I will pull sample in 6 months for UOA. Time will tell. I realize low miles and gentle driving does not help the situation. That's not going to change sans the few times I plan to take it out on the highway.

Just setting the baseline.

Thoughts?

Thanks

Attachments

• 0 bytes · Views: 70
Last edited:
I'm thinking you're experiencing much more fuel dilution than is shown on this report. I would try another lab on your next UOA and see what they say about the problem.

jayjr1105

And to think the Honda MM was at 50%. We might of cringed if the OCI was completed based on MM.

Only reason I got involved with this CR-V is she had a front end fender bender a month ago and I offered to check fluids etc. The fumes from the dipstick were very noticeable.

Caught it in time so now we shorten OCI and run some more UOA's for documentation. Hopefully Honda comes up with a solution.

Are you in a cold winter area? Honda did extend warranty due to fuel dilution, sounds like you need to keep a watch on that dilution in the future.

Originally Posted by jayjr1105
TBN down to 3 only after 1600 miles??

That's about right for anything. More syn base that is less prone to oxidise = less overbase detergent required. The TBN drops fast in severe service then hold the 3 > 2 line for the duration.

Cheap Diesel conventional will have a silly-high TBN - because the low group, oxidation prone, base oils need it

Last edited:
Spector

Not really, mid-Atlantic states with only a few cold weeks a year (cold defined as below 32 degrees).

This CR-V belongs to a 68 year old woman and in December the dealership told her "everything is fine" after the oil change. Neither the dealership nor Honda has bothered to inform this person of the potential issues with this car. Inexcusable if you ask me.

I'm starting the documentation chain and will decide on course of action after next UOA.

Based on what you'll find on CRV forums, barring an actual mechanical failure or CEL, American Honda will do absolutely nothing. Crankcase level increases by an inch? Normal. UOA with 10% fuel dilution? Normal. High UOA wear metals? Normal.

Hate to be cynical but these engines will almost surely survive the 5/60 warranty and that seems to be Honda's concern. Wouldn't be at all surprised to see a major engine redesign in the next couple years, though.

Originally Posted by Danh
Based on what you'll find on CRV forums, barring an actual mechanical failure or CEL, American Honda will do absolutely nothing. Crankcase level increases by an inch? Normal. UOA with 10% fuel dilution? Normal. High UOA wear metals? Normal.

Hate to be cynical but these engines will almost surely survive the 5/60 warranty and that seems to be Honda's concern. Wouldn't be at all surprised to see a major engine redesign in the next couple years, though.

Especially if they want to see their high sales continue. I wouldn't touch one right now. They along with lots of other car companies are expecting you to swallow the junk they have produced.

Danh

I hear ya. Best I can do for my friend is document and bring it to Honda's attention so it's on record.

Then decide on OCI to keep engine proper until/if Honda USA ever does the right thing or is forced to do the right thing.

I do not trust the dealership to do her right so I told her I'd handle what I can.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by JohnnyJohnson

Especially if they want to see their high sales continue. I wouldn't touch one right now. They along with lots of other car companies are expecting you to swallow the junk they have produced.

JohnnyJohnson

It's a shame companies can ignore issues like Honda has
with the 1.5l DI Turbo. It's universally known this engine is bogus but yet no admission.

Gotta love it.

Last edited:
Honda service ignored my issues with my New Fit about as well as the worst GM dealers have
smile.gif

I stay away. I dont like their cars or motorcycles anyhow. - though I haven't driven the new CRV - don't plant to either .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back