Leupold screws

Status
Not open for further replies.
Recently purchased a Lupold scope and it seems like it must've came with either a bad screws and or bad threads in the rings where the top and bottom ring halves bolt together. Everything I read says Leupold is using either 6-40 or 6-48 toed cap head screws but mine thread into a 6-32 gauge perfectly. Half the holes work with these "6-32" screws that it came with and half don't. These correlate with the left side and right side.

They can warranty for a similar pair of rings but they don't have any in this color left in stock. At this point I plan to hit a local old school hardware store and see if they will have anything that fits... but does anybody know o"of this type of thing happening? Will a 6-4x male thread into a 6-32 female? If so maybe I can just get some proper screws from Brownells and be done with it...

Did you purchase this 'new' or 'used' ?
If used, maybe the previous owner retaped the threads (incorrectly).

Normally, a #6 thread is either 6-32 or 6-40. (as in, easily purchased at local Hardware Store).

Some manufactures will use an odd thread, such as 6-48, which makes it difficult to replace.

If still under warranty, don't alter, and wait for correct color.
OR
Find out exactly what thread size Leupold used (no guessing).
Retap the holes.

Last edited:
Leupold scope and rings ?

I have always read Leupold scopes are warrantied for life . I own 2 , purchased used , off of EBay , while such was priced reasonably . Never needed any warranty work . But I do not know if the lifetime warranty applies to their rings .

I often use cheaper , Weaver rings which used to be avalable at WalMart .

Best of luck to you , :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back