The Mysterious Mopar SAE 5W-20?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone know which oil is the Mopar SAE 5W-20 (Middle East Version)? I know that it's provided by SHELL since SHELL have a factory for oils in Oman, but which SHELL is it? The label doesn't mention anything about the type of oil used if it's Synthetic or Blend or Conventional oil? The dealer claims that it's a fully Synthetic oil 100% but why the bottle doesn't mention anything about it? Isn't it supposed to be marketing features to write down fully synthetic oil like other brands do?

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I tried to contact SHELL to confirm which type of oil do they supply for Mopar but couldn't' get any respond.
I found that SHELL Helix Ultra has some similar approvals and it's fully Synthetic but they are no proof that it's the same oil.

This is why I'm thinking of switching to Liqy-Moly 5W-20 SPECIAL TEC AA

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Last edited:
I you hadn't already figured it out, the Mopar parts# is on the label (68218890UA)... like you, I couldn't find anything on the net after a couple mins of looking, stating whether it was conventional or synthetic. I did find this SDS 👇from Mopar with that part# but I'm not an expert on reading these things, especially oil related one's. Maybe there is/isn't anything in there that helps you...

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.kwparts.com/media/1718/68218891gb_eng.pdf&ved=2ahUKEwi0gr7QrIbjAhVIrp4KHeCTBxwQFjAAegQIARAB&usg=AOvVaw1QEJvrgS7t1LOVyjDkAaoA

Looks like Chrysler Canada makes both a dino and full syn 5w20...i have no clue if or how this relates to your oil. Just thought I'd share what I additionally found. (I could not locate anything in the API db for Chrysler middle east, maybe I was doing it wrong?)
[Linked Image]

Last edited:
Originally Posted by 71Chevyguy
Liqui Moly is a much better oil than Mopar any day. I would choose that over it if it was my vehicle.

You do realize that Mopar doesn't actually produce their own oils. They are pretty heavily involved with Pennzoil right now but who knows who produced that particular quart featured. I think it isn't synthetic or it would say so.

Originally Posted by rubberchicken
Given the high temps in your area, would a 5w30 or even heavier oil be a good alternative ?

I would stay away from x20 in your area. I would use a good 10Wx30 or 10Wx40 or even higher ... Something with higher hths. 5Wx30 is the lowest I go if I have to.

https://www.google.com/url?q=https://www.dealers-mopar.com/resources/pdf/chemical/chemical-catalog.pdf&sa=U&ved=2ahUKEwjArJieuobjAhXDZc0KHR4ID3MQFjAOegQIBBAB&usg=AOvVaw24ASksqkgKIZyR8eZjzQpc

Looks like anything that's labeled Max pro + is full synthetic. Max pro doesn't specify, so I'm guess it's either conventional or synthetic blend

Originally Posted by Mad_Hatter
I you hadn't already figured it out, the Mopar parts# is on the label (68218890UA)... like you, I couldn't find anything on the net after a couple mins of looking, stating whether it was conventional or synthetic. I did find this SDS 👇from Mopar with that part# but I'm not an expert on reading these things, especially oil related one's. Maybe there is/isn't anything in there that helps you...

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.kwparts.com/media/1718/68218891gb_eng.pdf&ved=2ahUKEwi0gr7QrIbjAhVIrp4KHeCTBxwQFjAAegQIARAB&usg=AOvVaw1QEJvrgS7t1LOVyjDkAaoA

Looks like Chrysler Canada makes both a dino and full syn 5w20...i have no clue if or how this relates to your oil. Just thought I'd share what I additionally found. (I could not locate anything in the API db for Chrysler middle east, maybe I was doing it wrong?)
[Linked Image]

Exactly, I tried searching online and contacting them but I didn't get any information or answer. Not even a SPEC sheet available online.

Given the high temps in your area, would a 5w30 or even heavier oil be a good alternative ?

I would love to use a thicker oil but the manual state clearly that the 0w-20 is used for all temps. The car is jeep GC.

Originally Posted by sloinker
Originally Posted by 71Chevyguy
Liqui Moly is a much better oil than Mopar any day. I would choose that over it if it was my vehicle.

You do realize that Mopar doesn't actually produce their own oils. They are pretty heavily involved with Pennzoil right now but who knows who produced that particular quart featured. I think it isn't synthetic or it would say so.

Yeah, this is what I'm thinking too if it's Synthetic they would write it all over the bottle, but the dealer is telling me that it is and they use it for a long time and it's set for 10,000 KM intervals.

Originally Posted by 07hemi
https://www.google.com/url?q=https://www.dealers-mopar.com/resources/pdf/chemical/chemical-catalog.pdf&sa=U&ved=2ahUKEwjArJieuobjAhXDZc0KHR4ID3MQFjAOegQIBBAB&usg=AOvVaw24ASksqkgKIZyR8eZjzQpc

Looks like anything that's labeled Max pro + is full synthetic. Max pro doesn't specify, so I'm guess it's either conventional or synthetic blend

e
I'm doubting it's convetial but why would they allow it to stay in your car for long intervarls? every 10,000 KM? The Middle East is considered a Severe climate and usually, have special services especially for the oil because it's hot and dusty.

Originally Posted by John344

I would love to use a thicker oil but the manual state clearly that the 0w-20 is used for all temps. The car is jeep GC.

You have the v6 then? Assuming you're not driving it like you stole it, 0w20 will be perfectly fine in it. V6 has a liquid to liquid oil cooler.

Originally Posted by Skippy722

You have the v6 then? Assuming you're not driving it like you stole it, 0w20 will be perfectly fine in it. V6 has a liquid to liquid oil cooler.

Yes, indeed it's a 2018 V6 and the oil temps usually around 90-100 Celsius often 95 Celsius. I drive it very normally and I don't tow.

Yes, indeed it's a 2018 V6 and the oil temps usually around 90-100 Celsius often 95 Celsius. I drive it very normally and I don't tow.

I've got 2 of those v6's, though yours is the upgraded version (PSU/PUG) of the Pentastar. Hottest I've ever seen my oil was 212F, 100C, on the van. My 300 likes to sit around 170F-185F, ~76C-85C. Hottest I've seen the 300 was 200F, 93C.

But I run 0w20 in both of them, and I drive them a little harder than most.

While under warranty stick with the mfgs recommendation (duh, right?). But I'm just guessing your year round low temps are going to be well above 0c, meaning you absolutely could run a "thicker" oil like a 5w30 or 10w30 (or even a 15w40+).

Unless you see it in writing somewhere that that Mopar oil is a full syn, I'd be hesitant to run it on an extended drain interval. It's really weird how there just doesn't seem to be any info out there on it and defies explanation why it's omitted from the label. 🤔

Last edited:

I've got 2 of those v6's, though yours is the upgraded version (PSU/PUG) of the Pentastar. Hottest I've ever seen my oil was 212F, 100C, on the van. My 300 likes to sit around 170F-185F, ~76C-85C. Hottest I've seen the 300 was 200F, 93C.

I've got the PUG in my 2018 Jeep and I've seen the oil temp hit 224 while rock crawling in Utah. The Jeep does have an aggressive cooling system, though, including an oil cooler, and when the (very loud) fan engages, knocks it right down below 190. I've done UOA's and see no issues. I was running Mobil 1 AP 0w20, which publishes a very high flash point, and it looked good in the UOA after 7500 miles, so I'm good with it. I run the Jeep very hard, even when just tooling around. (The Magnaflow exhaust note, manual tranny, and peppy nature of this engine make it hard to keep my foot out of it!) I'd have no worries running a high quality synthetic 0w20 in that engine even in SW Asia. One thing 5w or 0w 20 would do is to cool more efficiently in an oil cooler than a thicker oil I'm not sure it wouldn't perform just as well oil in that environment.

I'd bet that Mopar oil would do just fine, if changed according to schedule. My personal preference, though, would be a reputable company's oil advertised as a full synthetic.

Last edited:
Does anyone know which oil is the Mopar SAE 5W-20 (Middle East Version)?

The label says "made in the Sultanate of Oman"

Made there?? ...... or just "bottled" there?

Nice, you have two cars from the same manufacturer. What upgrades did they add to the Pentastar 2018 engine?

Originally Posted by Mad_Hatter

While under warranty stick with the mfgs recommendation (duh, right?). But I'm just guessing your year round low temps are going to be well above 0c, meaning you absolutely could run a "thicker" oil like a 5w30 or 10w30 (or even a 15w40+).

Unless you see it in writing somewhere that that Mopar oil is a full syn, I'd be hesitant to run it on an extended drain interval. It's really weird how there just doesn't seem to be any info out there on it and defies explanation why it's omitted from the label. 🤔

Yes we never reach 0 temps here, it's very rare it happens some winters but really rare. I also find it weird that they don't print any synthetic word on the bottle even though they claim it. I really hesitate to run it for long intervals because they are asking me to bring it every 10,000 KM for an oil change.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back