Motorcraft Mercon V opinions?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Went back 3 years and could not find anything. Motorcraft Mercon V does not even show up in the top 5. Castrol variants show up twice. I just had a 2006 4R75E and 98000 miles self-flushed and refilled with Motorcraft Mercon V. A few years ago, I had another 2006 4R75E self-flushed and refilled with Mobil 1 ATF. 10000 miles later, the trans failed. I suspect it was because I refilled a high mileage trans with Mobil 1, and the trans didn't like it. Had it rebuilt and filled with Mobil 1, and it's doing great.

Is Motorcraft Mercon V worth using, or should I have bought Castrol? Thanks in advance.

Yeah, it's all the same stuff, Castrol, Motorcraft, Supertech. Supertech is probably the cheapest. I used that in my Taurus transmission a few times and it was fine. If you don't want to do Super Tech at Walmart, there's always Castrol. Valvoline also sells one, but it's not really certified as Mercon V, the fine print just says it's suitable for applications that call for Mercon V although I've used it in the past when I got it on clearance at $2 a quart.

If I could buy the Motorcraft Mercon V for the same $4.75 that SuperTech sells for, I'd buy it. But since it costs like $6.50 or so that's not going to work. Just did my 2001 Lincoln transmission fluid change with SuperTech Mercon V....16 qts.

I'm sure the add packs for Castrol, MC, and ST are all pretty similar. They are all semi-synthetic. I'd rather use these than the full synthetic Mobil 1, Amsoil ATF, or Red LIne D4 for example. I'll just change it more often....every 15K to 20K miles depending on how it looks.

Last edited:
Thanks to the drain plug, I will drain the pan every 8000 miles when the oil (M1 EP) is changed, and add 4 fresh quarts. That's probably overkill, but I'm comfortable with it.

Originally Posted by Vigilant
Thanks to the drain plug, I will drain the pan every 8000 miles when the oil (M1 EP) is changed, and add 4 fresh quarts. That's probably overkill, but I'm comfortable with it.

No kidding! That's every 2 months for me!

All I ever buy for my 4R75E is SuperTech Mercon V

Here is the Castrol product.
smile.gif

C781972A-0C30-41FA-AF1D-1B69D5C5E1FF.jpeg

I just picked up a '98 Mustang GT and am looking to extract the fluid from the pan and refill with Mercon V. I will most likely use SuperTech as it is readily available and priced right. I wish MaxLife was okay for Mercon V as it was a spectacular fluid in past cars I've ran it in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back