Cheap dexron - okay to use?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Howdy fellow oilers:
Just came home from "Fred's." They have a brand of tranny fluid for a dollar a quart. Around these parts, even "wally world's" tranny fluid is $1.22.
Fred's brand is called "Streett" (yes, with two "t's").
Label says:
Dexron - III Mercon
Approved for GM "H" specification

Back label says:
Streett: Quality Lubricants Since 1884
Streett Dexron III/Mercon ATF is a quality multipurpose fluid with improved oxidation resistance and allows higher temperature operations. Recommended for electronically controlled automatic transmissions meeting General Motors "H" specifications (GM-10055), Ford, and Chrysler.
. . . . . (talks about Chrysler cars) . . . .
General Motor Corp. Registration No: H-36182
Ford Motor Company Registration No.: M050102
Detroit Diesel Allison: C-3, C-4
Catepillar: TO-2

The address on the bottom of the back label reads
J.D. Streett & Co., Inc
Maryland Heights, Mo 63043.

I had planned on using this in my '96 Chevy truck. It has a four speed automatic tranny.

Do you guys think this stuff will do the job even though it's 0.20 cents cheaper than the Supertech stuff? (I did buy one bottle and the fluid is red). Right now, that's all I know.
Thanks a million in advance -
Glenn.

J.D. Streett out of St. Louis is a private label blender and bottling company.

At that price, I would change the fluid more often, say at less than 30,000 miles.

So this stuff is okay to use?
dunno.gif

You can use cheap fluids in an engine or trans. You can use API SF autozone oil in a new car if you like. Whats the difference? Probably not much for tens or hundreds of thousnads of miles if it is changed adequately. However, im sure somewhere down the line, the difference will show.

Seems to me that in ATF, there is less of a difference in additive packages. The thing is, the base fluid probably varies greatly in quality. So long as you change the cheaper stuff more often, and especially if you use an antioxidant like LC, youll likely be fine. But overall, you want to ensure that the cheaper fluid wont break down sooner, as then your trans, which is more sensitive than an engine, will likely suffer.

Id say use it and change it more often, or get a better fluid and change it at spec intervals.

JMH

Why be so price sensitive? Would you not want to put in quality transmission fluid? Why take a chance?

If you are doing it yourself you will save all the labor costs.

I use Chevron DEX III ATF, available at Checker for 59 cents when it's on sale. ATF prices can be very important when your using 8 or more quarts for a change.

-T

I believe throughout the country you can get 12 quart cases of name brand ATF (around here it is ExxonMobil labelled as "Esso") in warehouse stores for about $13 per case.

Because the auto tranny fluid had started taking on a burnt appearence, I cautioned what may happen when I started moving things around.

I bought a gallon jug of store brand tranny fluid and did a pan drain and fill. A hundred or so miles later, a whining noise eminated from the shifter area when coasting through the gears. Following a hunch, I again drained the pan and added a non-store brand "high mileage" fluid. It seemed to help.

On a warmer winter day, I dropped the pan, changed the filter (the old looked fine), and cleaned the magnet (thin film of "clay'). I again refilled with the high mileage fluid and added a very small amount of Sea Foam tranny treatment. For the most part the sound has disappeared and the tranny still shifts strong.

If I were you, I'd take a second look as to just why you might want to save a few cents on something that's to be in service so long and protecting something as expensive and vital as the tranny.

Good luck either way.

I have the same question. Since it is approved for the GM "H" specification, wouldn't it have a certain level of quality? I just drained and refilled my Sentra with Advance house brand Dexron III that was approved for the "H" specification, and the transmission has never worked better. It was a little more expensive this Streett brand, but not much more expensive.

The old adage of "buyer beware" and "you get what you pay for" still comes true in reality. A couple of years ago I changed the ATF in a friend's 1996 MonteCarlo at 50k using a ATF flush machine, substituting a case of "Coastal" offbrand ATF which my lady friend prepurchased to save a buck or two. When she had gone to the quick lube a couple of oil changes later,about 7-8k miles, they told her she needed a transmission flush because her fluid was oxidized brown. I checked the trans dipstick and found the Coastal ATF looked uglier at 8k miles than the factory fill had looked at 50k. IMO, stick with the name brands whether motoroil or ATF, because of the better additive packages blended-in and longevity.

Guys: Stick with brand names, why!!!

Ask yourself a question, if you go out for dinner with ur wife/girlfriend to a good resturant you probably shell out $40-$50. Now if the tranny capcaity is 12Q @ $1.67 (Chevron H ATF)= $20 + change....

If you intend to change every 30K miles this is the least one can do to the vehicle and not take shortcuts. I would never... my 2 cents.

If you change your fluid regularly, don't do any towing, and do little urban driving that stresses your tranny, you should do well with the Streett stuff. But, if you encounter situations that often raise the tranny's temp above 200° F., then beware.

I changed to Mobil1 ATF in my '95 4L80E because I haul a heavy camper in the summer.

I'm using Advance Auto dexIII in my truck. Works fine for me. I wasn't willing to waist a bunch of expensive fluid on a transmission with an unknown history. I plan on changing it fairly often from now on anyways.

Nobody seems to want to answer your question. We all want to pontificate, haha. Well I say YES; and pontificate...why wouldn't it?

SIGNED

"One man's pontificatious opinion"

quote:

So this stuff is okay to use?

The anwer is yes, But only if you change the fluid say every 20,000 miles.

This is the same fluid often sold at Dollar 'General' or other Dollar Stores for the same price, but it cannot have much GroupIII in it at that price.

Most likely a majority GroupII or GroupII+ paraffinic mineral oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back