What weight of oil 20 or 30? Rrrrrrr

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by PimTac
Could we refrain from using the R word here. It's offensive. A grown adult does not need to use that word.

Which one? Reserve? Ready? Reality?
lol.gif

Originally Posted by Mad_Hatter

Try this one...0 is freezing â„ï¸, 40 is freaking hot🔥. Now you can do my chart......

Years ago I learned:

"30 is hot, 20 is nice, 10 is cold, 0 is ice".

Try this one...0 is freezing â„ï¸, 40 is freaking hot🔥. Now you can do my chart......

This is probably the most helpful thing I have learned on this forum in months!

Years ago I started writing date in YYYY-MM-DD. Seems to make the most sense for filing, be it files or folders on the computer, or papers in real life. Very simple, work from MSB to LSB.

I still marvel over the fact that while measuring distance and volume can be metric, time isn't. The second may be the base unit in metric but it's still 60 minutes to the hour, 24 to the day, 364 to the year. 7 days to a week and 30-ish days to the month. And then it gets beat up during leap years and other times of adjustment. Even metric users have to put up non-base 10 math when it comes to time. Yet the most common complaint about non-metric from metric users is... how do you remember all the different numbers if they aren't all related by factors of 10? but they manage to figure out the time of day and day of the year all the same.

Originally Posted by PimTac
Could we refrain from using the R word here. It's offensive. A grown adult does not need to use that word.

It's part of the chart man, I didn't put it there

The worst thing is tire sizes. Imperial, metric, and percentages all in one!

Last edited:
Originally Posted by gfh77665
Originally Posted by Mad_Hatter

Years ago I learned:

"30 is hot, 20 is nice, 10 is cold, 0 is ice".

I like that, catchy..ðŸ‘

Originally Posted by Silverado12
24June19 is how we did it in the service. My first day was 03July78.

Yep. That's the way we did it in the military and it stuck with me.

Ok wow! A lot to read and follow on here now. So I guess the rams or the 3.7L was back specd to 5w-30 so either 20 or 30 weights would be ok.at least to me I does make sense to use the 30 weight with the heat. good.now this ocd loop in my mind can shut off.What is mds?

Originally Posted by chubbie
. So I guess the rams or the 3.7L was back specd to 5w-30 so either 20 or 30 weights would be ok.at least to me I does make sense to use the 30 weight with the heat. good.

Yes, use the 30wt in the summer. The 20wt's are spec just for CAFE purposes, not engine protection.

When I was in chemestry & physice class , we used both metric & imperial / English systems all the time .

Originally Posted by WyrTwister
When I was in chemestry & physice class , we used both metric & imperial / English systems all the time .

Actually it was pretty easy as long as you had your Pee Chee.

I suggest 5w30, not only because of the various recommendations, but also because the vehicle is 12+ years old and probably has some wear. Also, most manufacturers recommending Xw20 oils do this for fuel economy/CAFE reasons and because it provides adequate engine protection, not because it's the best engine protection.

I see makes sense also in the owners manual it says do engine oil changes at 5k miles never to exceed 6k miles. I'm assuming that is for conventional motor oil.it doesn't say anything about synthetic. Also I would change earlier if I was towing.about how long roughly could i go with synthetic without towing?

Ambient temp in a well running engine / cooling system probably means less to a grade of oil versus the proper protection the engine needs ... 5W20 may provide adequate engine protection however 5W30 may provide ideal engine protection .

Originally Posted by chubbie
I see makes sense also in the owners manual it says do engine oil changes at 5k miles never to exceed 6k miles. I'm assuming that is for conventional motor oil.it doesn't say anything about synthetic. Also I would change earlier if I was towing.about how long roughly could i go with synthetic without towing?

The owners manual is a conservative estimate which is supposed to cover any oil… With UOAs you could easily extend your intervals, depending on your oil.

With the right synthetic, I would think that 10,000 mile intervals would be easily and safely done. Possibly more depending on your driving habits.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back