Post your latest oil change

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe 14,983 miles.

Out: Delo XPS 10w-30 and OEM (Mahle) filter, 2,998 miles on oil, 4,683 miles on filter.

In: Pennzoil Platinum 10w-30 and OEM (Mahle) filter.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

It is a good thing I have a bunch of oil, because I did a stupid thing.
When I installed my EZ oil drain (similar to Fumoto) and forgot to close the valve before adding the oil.
mad.gif

I had poured in a full jug and was adding the 6th qt when I heard a noise and realized what I did. I went under and put the measuring container under the oil and caught about 1/2 a qt, but wasted 5 qts of PP.
Luckily I still had my drain pan under there, so no mess, but still, a waste of $4.20 (thank goodness for clearance oil with active rebates).

1992 Chevrolet K1500 Pickup, 5.7L/350cu in, 72,852 miles on truck, ~3,000 mile OCI

Out: Unknown Oil, Wix filter
In: 5 Quarts Pennzoil 5w-30 Conventional High Mileage, Fram PH3980

2007 Honda CR-V 2.4L 4-cyl, 212,012 miles on car, 5,000 mile OCI

Out: 4.4 Quarts 5w-20 MS5K, Purolator L14610 filter (One quart of oil added during OCI)
In: 4.4 quarts of a mixture of MS5K, VWB and SuperTech (all 5w-20 conventional), SuperTech ST6607 filter

2008 Mitsubishi Endeavor V6, 136,543 miles on car, ~7000 mile OCI

Out: Either Havoline Conventional or VWB 5w-20, Bosch 3323 filter
In: VWB 5w-20, Bosch 3323 filter

Last edited:
2015 F150 5.0 V8

Out: Dealer fill generic filter

In: 5 quarts Pennzoil platinum 10w-30 + 3 quarts Pennzoil platinum Euro 5w-40
Fram xg2

2015 Jeep Cherokee 3.2 v6

Out: Castrol Edge EP 5w-20 xg11665

In: Mobil annual Protection 5w-20 Xg11665

1972 Pontiac Grand Prix
6.6 liter (400 cid) automatic

OCI: 3,022 miles, 2 years

Total miles on car/engine: 100,486

Out: Valvoline Full Synthetic High Mileage
10w-30 with LM mos2

AC Delco PF-24 filter

In: SuperTech Heavy Duty Diesel Truck 15w-40

AC Delco PF-24

Originally Posted by greentengu9
1972 Pontiac Grand Prix
6.6 liter (400 cid) automatic

OCI: 3,022 miles, 2 years

Total miles on car/engine: 100,486

Out: Valvoline Full Synthetic High Mileage
10w-30 with LM mos2

AC Delco PF-24 filter

In: SuperTech Heavy Duty Diesel Truck 15w-40

AC Delco PF-24

Any reason behind the switch in grade and oil? My summer daily driver has a 76 Oldsmobile 350. I have to change mine twice a year because it is a daily driver and goes on long trips but it's a similar engine when it comes to viscosity recommendations.

I was using 5w40 or 10w40 and eventually went to 10w30 because the engine is quieter with a 30 weight. Oil usage is low no matter what I use and oil pressure is slightly low with 30 weight but still at least 10 pounds at idle 550rpm.

07 Toyota Avalon
3.5 v6
Out: unknown, Napa gold filter
In: Napa syn dexos 5/20, Napa gold filter

11 Sierra 1500
5.3 v8
Out: unknown, mighty filter
In: Napa syn dexos 5/30, Napa gold filter

I decided to try an oil with more zinc and phosphorous than standard passenger car motor oils in it this time around, juggling with the owners manual's recommendation for either a 10w-40 or 20w-40 (which today appears to be available as motorcycle oil), figuring on not adding mos2 this time around (or a bottle of ZDDP) and seeing how this oil fares vis-a-vis engine temps. The ST HDEO contains about 50% more ppm zinc than the previous Valvoline.

Of course, this all has gone hand in hand with a new deep sump transmission pan, Delco Dexron VI fluid, filter and gasket, and fresh green coolant, so there's probably too many variables to really do much more than placebo effect the "result"...the caveat being, if the engine isn't cooled enough, when I key it off, it very obviously "diesels" (chugs) for a second or two, especially with any non-premium fuel.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by greentengu9
I decided to try an oil with more zinc and phosphorous than standard passenger car motor oils in it this time around, juggling with the owners manual's recommendation for either a 10w-40 or 20w-40 (which today appears to be available as motorcycle oil), figuring on not adding mos2 this time around (or a bottle of ZDDP) and seeing how this oil fares vis-a-vis engine temps. The ST HDEO contains about 50% more ppm zinc than the previous Valvoline.

Of course, this all has gone hand in hand with a new deep sump transmission pan, Delco Dexron VI fluid, filter and gasket, and fresh green coolant, so there's probably too many variables to really do much more than placebo effect the "result"...the caveat being, if the engine isn't cooled enough, when I key it off, it very obviously "diesels" (chugs) for a second or two, especially with any non-premium fuel.

I used to always use either a high zddp oil or an over the counter on sale oil like Pennzoil platinum with an additive like gm EOS with extra zddp but I've stopped worrying about it. I believe my engine probably has over 300k miles (100k put on by me in the past 12 summers) and the cam is probably not going to go flat at that mileage from the opinions I've heard.

The valvetrain is silent with a 5w30 or 10w30, and gets noisier the thicker the grade (15w50 was the worst). Oil pressure is the same as 100k miles ago before we swapped it into my car and oil consumption is also less (1qt every 3k miles or so).

This engine has never once dieseled during shut-off or pinged except at full throttle when I got too crazy with the timing at the race track once. I only run premium in mine before storage for winter but it's like 8:1 compression ratio in 1976. Low compression and low RPM is probably what made it so indestructible. When I needed a coolant flush and it ran hot on the highway with the AC on my only symptom was that the worn out starter didn't want to crank it after a heat soak. It ran fine even at 230 degrees.

I also used dexron 6 before and now using Valvoline Max Life. Works perfectly with both. I have a 2004R though and you probably have a th400.

'06 S2000 156,000 miles

Out: M1 0/40 and M1 V-twin 20/50 in a 50/50 mix, 7700 miles

In: M1 0/40(4 qt) and M1 0/50 racing oil (2 qt)
With a Baldwin B202 filter

2007 Cadillac CTS 3.6L 123,825 miles

Out: Castrol Magnatec 5W30, Fram XG8765
In: 6qts Valvoline Full Synthetic HM 5W30, ACDelco PF2129G
OCI: 3,300 miles

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by JohnnyJohnson
Did you say 6 quarts? Wouldn't this have been a smart place to use a Havoline smart box.

Yes. However the Havoline HM is not Dexos certified; as far as I know only the valvoline syn HM is Dexos. I am not a stickler for certs, but I had to replace the timing chains around xmas (after using non-dexos oil - probably coincidence, but I would rather not repeat that job if I can avoid it).

Originally Posted by RyanY
Did you say 6 quarts? Wouldn't this have been a smart place to use a Havoline smart box.

Yes. However the Havoline HM is not Dexos certified; as far as I know only the valvoline syn HM is Dexos. I am not a stickler for certs, but I had to replace the timing chains around xmas (after using non-dexos oil - probably coincidence, but I would rather not repeat that job if I can avoid it).

You mean that nice ride leaks?

Havoline .jpg

Originally Posted by RyanY

You mean that nice ride leaks?

LOL no leaks but the 3.6 has known oil consumption! Most of it is sucked through the PCV during "spirited" driving. I didnt buy this car for non-spirited driving, so I will pursue other means to reduce the oil consumption. I previously used PPHM and it stopped. However, I associate PPHM with timing chain failure, so I'm going with Dexos oil from now on. I wish the Havoline HM syn was dexos. Or Valvoline would start using the 6qt box. Either of these would simplify things for a 6qt OC.

Last edited:
Back