2019 Camaro SS 10sp auto, brief review

Status
Not open for further replies.
Awful.

It is fast, noisy, steers like junk and is downright annoying to drive. Forget the awful seating position on the floor, and the ear high windowsills. The noise, seating pos and ride could be ignored if it were fun. BUT

it's about impossible to have much fun in this car around town.

I don't know what GM was thinking, but this thing does not do what's asked of it. Throttle by wire creates an unpredictable delay of at least half a second, sometimes much more. Throttle application is an exercise in stupidity. Ask for power, get none, ask for more, get too much, instinctively let off, back to none, rinse repeat. Good GOD. But to make matters worse, Many slight throttle applications result in throttle body full open then backing off. Easily heard and annoyingly unsmooth.

The transmission is 10 speeds and takes some time to find the right gear. And every time it does, the throttle is closed. Like it or not, this is not the magic transmission and throttle response king the magazines would have you believe.

Can only drive this car 2 ways. Illegal fast and Prius eco mode. There really is no modulating this thing at a sporty pace.

Oh, and the steering is electric, and it binds up when turned fast., Who thought that's a good idea?

Let off the gas after accel, and you are treated with an open throttle and no deceleration.

Who builds cars like this? Do they think the current generation of intelligent humans won't notice the driving dynamics suck?

Note: the Camaro SS forums all complain bitterly about this, and admit there is no fix.

Last edited:
35.gif

If it's really as bad as you say, I find it impossible that something like this gets put into production. Randy Pobst said the Camaro SS 1LE was a fantastic car, but I remember him saying in his video that the throttle response was not linear and was difficult to modulate precisely. He made this observation while driving the car at Willow Springs. Search for it and check it out. But regardless, the SS 1LE is pretty amazing for a street legal machine, but apparently it has flaws.

Scott

It is ridiculously hard to see out of that car, for that reason I would not buy one. The throttle and trans issues can be fixed with a proper tune.

Not saying anything about the seating and high walled views cause i don't own one. But i do own a gm truck and a performance car. The drive-train suffers from an identity crisis forced upon it unnaturally, Should I burn rubber... ...or save gas. The implementation of this is the V4 / V8 mode change and concept of torque management and throttle by wire, There is a delay in response as the system makes up its mind what state to be in. IMO much of the solution is to get a tune or programmer and DISABLE the V4 mode. This removes a lot of the system switching/confusion and truly allows the vehicle to calm down to a more normal driving experience. Also understanding that such a complex transmission is always learning and calibrating itself also means that the jerky on/off switch throttle guy is teaching his trans to be just a jerky. The Powertrains I have are smooth as silk now :)

Originally Posted by Kawiguy454
The drive-train suffers from an identity crisis forced upon it unnaturally, Should I burn rubber... ...or save gas. The implementation of this is the V4 / V8 mode change and concept of torque management and throttle by wire, There is a delay in response as the system makes up its mind what state to be in. IMO much of the solution is to get a tune or programmer and DISABLE the V4 mode. This removes a lot of the system switching/confusion and truly allows the vehicle to calm down to a more normal driving experience.

The GMC in my signature, while a few years old and with "only" six forward gears, is horrible with deciding if it wants to be a shaking V4 or a V8. I borrowed a Range Technologies AFM disabler from a buddy to try out and it was ridiculous how much it improved. With it always running on eight cylinders the trans became a lot more smooth and didn't feel as dimwitted around town. 25MPH on an uphill curve in a residential neighborhood is not the place for four cylinder mode!

Bummer to hear the Camaro is a disappointment, sounds like the way to go is still a manual, especially for those like me who call most automatic transmissions (for me the exception being the ZF 8 speeds) dimwitted and annoying.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Gasbuggy
The throttle and trans issues can be fixed with a proper tune.

So far, that does not seem to be the case. The throttle motor is too slow. All tuners can do is make the throttle position match the pedal position and eliminate the other wonky behavior. That's a big help and may be enough for some, but it's not a fix for the half second lag.

All sorts of data on this, on the vehicle specific forums.

What would fix it is a real throttle cable..

Interestingly, the V4 mode was unobtrusive and did not engage in Track mode.

Originally Posted by SLO_Town
Randy Pobst said the Camaro SS 1LE was a fantastic car, but I remember him saying in his video that the throttle response was not linear and was difficult IMPOSSIBLE to modulate precisely.

Fixed it for you.

Remember, my point was the difficulty with sporty (legal-ish) driving on the street. Track days would likely be another matter, and the car would likely be quite a beast when full throttle is the only position.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by bdcardinal
I am so happy my '14 doesn't have any throttle lag issues *knocks on wood. I wonder if being a manual has anything to do with it.

I've driven all three. The Mustang,Camaro,and Challenger. The Mustang is by far the superior car. The Mustang has perfect ergonomics and the Camaro having the worst.

Originally Posted by Cujet
Awful.

It is fast, noisy, steers like junk and is downright annoying to drive. Forget the awful seating position on the floor, and the ear high windowsills. The noise, seating pos and ride could be ignored if it were fun. BUT

it's about impossible to have much fun in this car around town.

I don't know what GM was thinking, but this thing does not do what's asked of it. Throttle by wire creates an unpredictable delay of at least half a second, sometimes much more. Throttle application is an exercise in stupidity. Ask for power, get none, ask for more, get too much, instinctively let off, back to none, rinse repeat. Good GOD. But to make matters worse, Many slight throttle applications result in throttle body full open then backing off. Easily heard and annoyingly unsmooth.

The transmission is 10 speeds and takes some time to find the right gear. And every time it does, the throttle is closed. Like it or not, this is not the magic transmission and throttle response king the magazines would have you believe.

Can only drive this car 2 ways. Illegal fast and Prius eco mode. There really is no modulating this thing at a sporty pace.

Oh, and the steering is electric, and it binds up when turned fast., Who thought that's a good idea?

Let off the gas after accel, and you are treated with an open throttle and no deceleration.

Who builds cars like this? Do they think the current generation of intelligent humans won't notice the driving dynamics suck?

Note: the Camaro SS forums all complain bitterly about this, and admit there is no fix.

As long as it was not the color of Bumblebee, this car can kick rocks.

I'm not even sure I want that 2009* model.. the car was not in release nor production when the movie came out in 2007.

The original "Transformers" film featured a car based on a Camaro concept and largely previewed the production car launched for 2010. /quote]

Production March 16, 2009-November 2015
Model years 2010-2015

I test drove a 2015 SS 1LE; I thought it drove pretty well. Nice heated Recaros and no hole in the roof. Visibility was abysmal and it was too big/heavy for my tastes.Still, it would make a very impressive track toy.

Sat in a Camaro once. I felt like a kid again. Wanted to be taller to see over the sills. Roof made me want to scrunch down.

The people who think about the fact that human beings are supposed to go into this thing were clearly the last in line to get their hands on this car.

Still the fastest car on a track under $50k, by far. No Mustang,Challenger, Audi, BMW, etc can touch it.

Hopefully GM will put the dynamic skip fire technology into the Camaro drivetrain, it should smooth out a lot of driveability problems. It amazes me that GM put that on the road so unrefined. Didn't anybody of authority drive the car before signing off on it?
If I were the top engineer on that project and it drove the way cujet described it'd go right back to the software writers!

Originally Posted by Cujet
Originally Posted by Gasbuggy
The throttle and trans issues can be fixed with a proper tune.

So far, that does not seem to be the case. The throttle motor is too slow. All tuners can do is make the throttle position match the pedal position and eliminate the other wonky behavior. That's a big help and may be enough for some, but it's not a fix for the half second lag.

All sorts of data on this, on the vehicle specific forums.

What would fix it is a real throttle cable..

The E92 engine controller is difficult to tune & not all parameters can be manipulated at this time. No guarantees they will ever be 100% supported by common tuning software.

The Tuning Industry as a whole leaves a lot to be desired. It takes 1000's of hours to master a engine controller, As this time can't be billed out.....They just experiment over time (While billing customers) 'til it's figured out.....Or not?

As for the Throttle Body Motor being too slow, I highly doubt that's the case.......Put straight power & ground to the motor & I guarantee the blade with flop open in an instant!

Originally Posted by E365
Still the fastest car on a track under $50k, by far. No Mustang,Challenger, Audi, BMW, etc can touch it.

Truth! GM knows how to build a suspension. I wish Ford could learn.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back