Just spotted: 1974 Pinto!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by ls1mike
There are two I see on base almost daily. Pinto and a Mercury Bobcat. No rust here.

The high school driver's ed program at my school used Pinto's and Bobcats for use on the driving range on school grounds. About half were manual transmissions. There were no rear-endings and subsequent explosions.
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by Oldtom
A high school buddy of mine had a 1973 with the "big" 2000 cc engine. The engine was very responsive to mods. We put a better exhaust system on and rejetted the carb. We got that sucker up to 125 mph on US route 1 about 3 AM one morning. We were 18 years old and did not know about the nifty "self igniting " feature. We probably would not have cared if we did know.

Imagine if you had the energy of youth without the stupidity :)

The Lima 2.0/2.3 was a decent beast. Low HP but decent torque and tough as nails. It lived on as the 2.3 and powered many a Mustang and Ranger of the 80's and 90s. Ford turbocharged it and put it in the Mustang GT, SVO, and T-Bird. 5.0 Mustang levels of power from that engine.

I'm surprised you got it up to 125. I had the 2.3 in a Mustang and with a 4 speed stick top end was maybe 90 or 95 if you had about 10 miles of flat road to get there.

The Pinto was no better or worse than most other small cars of that vintage in a rear end collision, including fire/explosion. It got a bad rap because of junk sensationalist journalism just like the Corvair and GM gas tanks in pickups.

Last edited:
My neighbor has a Pinto in his garage. Its all decked out, perfect paint, and chrome wheels. He shoehorned a 302 in it and takes it around to the local car shows. Weird sitting next to a Pinto thats rumbling like an old Mustang.

My father in law has a Pinto...1974 wagon.

It has an engine and transmission from a 1987 Thunderbird Turbo Coupe.

Mom had a new 1977 red pinto with black vinyl interior, I remember how hot those seats got in the summer no AC of course. I don't remember my parents having any issues with that car to be honest, I think they got a bad rap personally. My uncle's "vega" on the other hand I thought was a much worse car.

Originally Posted by Tdog02
What movie was that from?!? That was funny as can be!

That was from the movie Top Secret! Lots of funny bits, but of course not as good as Airplane! which they also did.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back